Zwave device being incorrectly identified since 2.3.0

@sihui I just downloaded the Snapshot from
https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/online-repo-snapshot/2.5/org/openhab/addons/bundles/org.openhab.binding.zwave/2.5.1-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.binding.zwave-2.5.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
but got this in the console so it’s not the updated version:

19 │ Active │  80 │ 2.5.1.201912300340      │ openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: ZWave Binding
232 │ Active │  80 │ 2.5.0                   │ openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: ZWave Binding

But getting this error besides:

Error while starting bundle: file:/usr/share/openhab2/addons/org.openhab.binding.zwave-2.5.1-SNAPSHOT.jar

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.openhab.binding.zwave [19]

Where do I find the most recent update of the ZW binding?
Also had 2 active bindings so had to manually stop 2.5.0.

I think you need to manually remove the 2.5.0 one in Karaf

1 Like

Acording to
https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2477

ZWS12 should have 0002:0011

Thanks @Tomass.

However this issue is not able to be resolved until the firmware in the four devices I have has been updated with the correct ID information or the OH equipment database is adjusted to correct for this anomaly.
Each time the device connects to the zwave network the controller reads this info from the firmware. Currently it is reading the wrong info and consequently setting up the device incorrectly.

However, I understand that in the current situation you have actuators that identify themselves with numbers 0002: 0011 but because of an error in OH they are unrecognizable. If they were identified by number 0003: 0001, they would add themselves to OH as Shutter.? Probably, when completing the data, someone did not notice that the ID number also changed.

It is not uncommon for different versions (or different regions) of a device to have different IDs and the ZWave product database often doesn’t provide all of these. Please do not remove IDs unless you are really sure that there is not the same device with multiple IDs as this is extremely common.

No they identify themselves (incorrectly) as 0003:0001 and OH database has two devices with this device ID because the manufacturer used the ID on two different devices.

1 Like

I’m sorry to ask you again. Does this mean that the device is recognized as a Shutter? Or not recognized at all? How old is this device?

It now identifies as ARZ Z-Wave Roller Shutter rather than ZWS12 Chain Actuator as it has done for about six years. This has been working fine up until zwave 2.4.0.
I am not sure how long the ARZ Roller Shutter has been available or in the OH database but my ZWS12’s were bought about July 2014.

Should I use this from github to get the DB updates?
If so how do I use it? Git clone in the addons folder?

Ah - ok, I’d missed that it was this faulty ARZ device :frowning:

https://ci.openhab.org/view/Integration%20Builds%20(2.5.x)/job/openHAB2.5.x-ZWave/

Cheers. I will test it tomorrow.
UPDATE:
Snapshot 2.5.2 jar file loaded.
Required 2 starts of OH
Deleted the affected Thing and re-discovered.
Device is now correctly identified as ZWS12 Chain Actuator.

Everything now back to normal.

Thanks @chris. Love your work.

Some feedback from the supplier on this:

We have passed it to the Fakro manufacture team and this is what we have got back from them:

“Hello
Yes, I see the problem. According to the "Z-Wave plus" certification, the actuator has ID 0x0002, 0x0011 (see link below). I don't know who completed the specification in openHub but did it wrong and combined two products into one. I think the only solution to the problem is a change in codes. We have not worked in openzwave so far but we will try to complete / correct the data so that our devices are correctly recognized. Unfortunately, we cannot change the firmware of the device. https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2477

”

Kind regards,

Paul

Z-Wave Home Automation Australia

It would be more useful if they could provide the list of codes for all products. It’s fine to say one is wrong, but at this point, two must be wrong as we seem to have the same codes reported for different devices - I’m not sure how they explain that?

I am a little confused here. Doesn’t the ID code 0003:0001 in this case, reside in the firmware and gets read by the controller when the device connects? So the ID that is in the database for the ZWS12 originates from perhaps the first time one of these devices connected and was passed through to you or a predecessor for inclusion in the DB.
Maybe that understanding is incorrect but if not, how can the OH DB be said to be wrong? It seems to me atm that the mfr has used the same code in two devices. The inference is that at some point they changed the ID being used in ZWS12 to the 0002:0011 leaving the earlier ones stranded. Pls clarify.

Correct.

This is my point - if the same code is used in two places, then we have a problem. I seem to recall in the past that the manufacturer confirmed this was the case, but now they say it isn’t.

What I don’t want is for them to simply say “use code abc” if that overlaps with other devices - we need a complete list so that we clearly understand what code is used for what devices across all regions (since often manufacturers use different codes in different regions for the same device).

Yes I have asked for that further info. Hope to see a response within 24 hours.

1 Like
1 Like

But now we have Fakro saying the firmware cannot be changed. See above.

Maybe or maybe not.

But the likely reality is that we ( or at least me) are stuck with having the two codes in use and therefore the current SW workaround is here for the long term.

I cannot see anyway that pressure can be exerted on the mfr to change the codes in the pre-Nov 2016 devices.