Zwave devices in openhab2 but not openhab3

Openhab2 has been working great for me for years. Lately one of my zwave door sensor was not working anymore so I bought a new one. It is different model from the previous one as I couldn’t find the same model anymore. I found that it was not in openhab2, so I upgraded to openhab3. Ok, openhab3 recognizes the new sensor but then a lot of old existing zwave devices not recognized in openhab3. I am forced to go back to openhab2.
For example, DWS01 Door and Window Sensor.
I understand probably I couldn’t buy those models anymore either but they have been working great with my openhab2.
What can we do here? Backport the new device info to openhab2 database or somehow support the old ones in openhab3?
Or some other suggestions?


Device mentioned is in the DB. What exactly is the message? Possibly just need to wake the device?

Thanks for the reply. The message shown like the standard unknown device below. And how to wake the devices? I triggered the devices, press the button on the devices and so on. I thought that will do it?

This device has not been fully discovered by the binding. There are a few possible reasons for this -:

  • The device is not in the database. If the device attributes show that this device has a valid manufacturer ID, device ID and type, then this is likely the case (eg. you see a label like “Z-Wave node 1 (0082:6015:020D::2.0)”). Even if the device appears to be in the database, some manufacturers use multiple sets of references for different regions or versions, and your device references may not be in the database. In either case, the database must be updated and you should raise an issue to get this addressed.
  • The device initialisation is not complete. Once the device is included into the network, the binding must interrogate it to find out what type of device it is. One part of this process is to get the manufacturer information required to identify the device, and until this is done, the device will remain unknown. For mains powered devices, this will occur quickly, however for battery devices the device must be woken up a number of times to allow the discovery phase to complete. This must be performed with the device close to the controller.

Do you have five lines on the UI page?
Five Lines of configured node

One option if not, it to copy the node xml from OH2 to the OH3 folder (var/lib/openhab/zwave or userdata/zwave), then delete the thing in OH3 (do not exclude) and go to the inbox and scan. it might pickup the device from the xml file. You will still likely need to wake it at least once.

I do not have the device, but reading the manual on the DB site, it seems like that would do it. Only other option is the press three times. You could also put the binding in Debug mode while trying these ideas to see what (if anything) is happening at that level

Are you getting any log message when the door is opened/closed, like “node xx not initialized, message ignored”? that would be a good sign that at least the device is in communication range.

Finally I got some time to do some experiments and got them working. Just want to close the loop here in case someone else encounter similar problem.
One type sensor just showed up correctly one day later without doing anything.
The other type, DWS01 Door and Window Sensor, hadn’t shown for days. Then I detached the sensors from my windows and moved them one by one very close to the zwave controller, which is AEON LABS Z-WAVE PLUS Z-STICK, GEN5, press the button 3 times as suggested here in previous comment here. I saw some color blink indications from the controller to confirm. If not, try again until I see the feedback from the controller. Then Openhab UI showed the correct manufacturer. Now everything works as it used to be.
So I guess it is not about openhab2 or openhab3 device database, just some complications during the installation of these zwave sensors.
Thanks for the help.

1 Like