Zwave mesh network instability

I believe that is mainly used for initial device discovery when adding a Thing. That would mean initial discovery must occur within 25 seconds.

25 seconds.

1 Like

That makes more sense. Time for another cup of :coffee:

1 Like

Not a good idea to physically move the nodes around, perhaps a mains powered node in between the house and shed to extend the range of the network would help

One flakey node can ruin the party

1 Like

Not really - it’s used to find out the basic information about the device. It is not actually used during discovery / inclusion since the same information gets passed as part of the inclusion process. It is used during the re-initialisation, and if the XML is deleted etc.

It’s not related to any sort of discovery timing though - the reason the timeout is long is simply that under some circumstances it can take time.

1 Like

I have 18 nodes dotted all around the house. the ones in the kitchen are only 40’ from the shed…i have 5 in the kitchen. My nodes are nicely spread out around the house

Wood shed, I hope. I had issues with a device in my front yard even with a mins powered device on ky porch for repeater,:frowning:

Yes wood shed.
How did you overcome this Bruce?

I ended up using a mains powered timer in that seasonal application.

I have 4 devices in my shed (wooden) 40m from my house and 6 in my garden room 35m away.

They work fine as long as I do not heal.

Why?

Because heal does not consider the routes good enough due to interrogating at -6db but explorer finds them. Yes they are marginal routes but once they are in the return route table it all works fine and LWR on the controller sticks.

I suspect other issues in your case.

1 Like

40m - you’re pretty lucky then I would suggest. If you have less than 6dB margin (which is not surprising given the distance), then you’re really on the edge and I would not recommend this as a general rule.

So, if the heal does not work, how do you get them them to discover the routes?

Agreed but you have to get lucky some times. At some point I will add a repeater half way but while I get away with it why not.

The last hop is the long one and my zniffer was by a window at the closest point.

From google maps image

Fibaro switch with the wire antena nice and straight pointing vertical. RSI surprisingly high but node 55 is a bit further inside the house.

RF is weird. 100KBit

Just to let you know the full picture.

Controller UZB3 latest firmware.
105 fibaro smart implant
54 fibaro switch 2
55 fibaro switch 2

I find in europe configuration fibaro is a lot better than other makes. I guess the antena is well tuned to the crystal and SAW filter for european frequency. Not sure if they work as well in US frequency. Possibly another brand works better in the USA.

1 Like

Explorer does not reduce the db. It shouts at full volume.

What I will tell you though is if I have too much reporting from those nodes it all collapses. So the next question is what devices are those nodes and how are they configured?

So you use a tool outside of OH.

Nope just let the controller and node do what they do. If I heal it goes slow and horrible but recovers after a few explorers.

As long as the core of my network is solid I never heal if I can avoid it. Just let explorer expel any bad routes from the return/response routes and LWR/NLWR on the controller/

But, just to note that this isn’t available on all devices, anything older than a few years may not support this. If you’re using new devices then it will work.

2 Likes

Absolutely.

Not only explorer is not available on some older devices but 100Kb/s and range is totally tied to chipset.

These more recent devices will go further.

Which is why I asked what devices are in this network as the fix may be the devices at an extreme after other things have been tried.

So, I include it in the network, unplug and then move it to the troublesome location & it explores to find the network?