Zwave module stopped work after upgrade of Openhab

Hi All,

did an upgrade from Openhab2.1 using the “sudo apt-get upgrade” command today…
Openhab is running on:
Release = Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)

Kernel = Linux 4.9.35-v7+

Platform = Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2

After the upgrade I realized that the ZWAVE Module ( Z-Wave.Me RaZberry) running on dev/ttyAMA0
and the assigned Fibaro devices are switching the status:
from OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE)–> UNINITIALIZED–>Online (PING)–>HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR etc.
Run basic functions (roller shutter) which worked fine the time the devices were online

After looking for a solution tried to reinstall the Zwave binding…
Steps I did (paperUI):
–>removed all ZWave devices except the controller
–>did a hardware reset of the controller
–>uninstalled ZWave binding
–>rebooted the Raspi
–>installed Zwave binding again
Didn’ add the additional devices just to check the controller behaviour.

The Zwave controller doesn’t go online anymore…
Entries from Log:
2019-12-16 14:45:00.408 [INFO ] [zwave.handler.ZWaveControllerHandler] - Attempting to add listener when controller is null
2019-12-16 14:45:00.760 [INFO ] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Connecting to serial port ‘/dev/ttyAMA0’
2019-12-16 14:45:00.793 [INFO ] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Serial port is initialized
2019-12-16 14:45:00.841 [INFO ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - Starting ZWave controller
2019-12-16 14:45:00.844 [INFO ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - ZWave timeout is set to 5000ms. Soft reset is false.
2019-12-16 14:45:54.877 [INFO ] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Stopped ZWave serial handler
Current status: OFFLINE - BRIDGE_OFFLINE

Could someone give me a hint what is going wrong and where to look for more details related to that issue?

There have been reports of the zwave and other bindings reloading every minute. People have found an invalid add-on referenced in addons.cfg or addons.config causing the loader act this way.

Hi Bruce,
many thanks for the quick reply.
Just checked some posts but couldn’t find any idea to solve my issue.

Checked addons.cfg (located in /etc/openhab2/services) but cannot see any related entry there (ZWave binding installed using PAPER UI)
The installation package of this openHAB instance
# Note: This is only regarded at the VERY FIRST START of openHAB
# Note: If you want to specify your add-ons yourself through entries below, set the package to "minimal"
# as otherwise your definition might be in conflict with what the installation package defines.
#
# Optional. If not set, the dashboard (https://:8080/) will ask you to choose a package.
#
# Valid options:
# - minimal : Installation only with dashboard, but no UIs or other add-ons. Use this for custom setups.
# - simple : Setup for using openHAB purely through UIs - you need to expect MANY constraints in functionality!
# - standard : Default setup for normal users, best for textual setup
# - expert : Setup for expert users, especially for people migrating from openHAB 1.x
# - demo : A demo setup which includes UIs, a few bindings, config files etc.
#
# See https://www.openhab.org/docs/configuration/packages.html for a detailed explanation of these packages.
#
#package = minimal

# Access Remote Add-on Repository
# Defines whether the remote openHAB add-on repository should be used for browsing and installing add-ons.
# This not only makes latest snapshots of add-ons available, it is also required for the installation of
# any legacy 1.x add-on. (default is true)
#
#remote = true

# Include legacy 1.x bindings. If set to true, it also allows the installation of 1.x bindings for which there is
# already a 2.x version available (requires remote repo access, see above). (default is false)
#
#legacy = true

# A comma-separated list of bindings to install (e.g. “binding = sonos,knx,zwave”)
#binding =

# A comma-separated list of UIs to install (e.g. “ui = basic,paper”)
#ui =

# A comma-separated list of persistence services to install (e.g. “persistence = rrd4j,jpa”)
#persistence =

# A comma-separated list of actions to install (e.g. “action = mail,pushover”)
#action =

# A comma-separated list of transformation services to install (e.g. “transformation = map,jsonpath”)
#transformation =

# A comma-separated list of voice services to install (e.g. “voice = marytts,freetts”)
#voice =

# A comma-separated list of miscellaneous services to install (e.g. “misc = myopenhab”)
#misc =

After several reboots
–>added one of the roller shutter devices to the Zwave network
–>the status changes again ofline -->online–>offline–>online…

2019-12-16 16:02:04.150 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:serial_zstick:f1caec1a’ changed from OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline to ONLINE
2019-12-16 16:02:04.177 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:device:f1caec1a:node2’ changed from OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline to ONLINE
2019-12-16 16:02:04.186 [me.event.ThingUpdatedEvent] - Thing ‘zwave:serial_zstick:f1caec1a’ has been updated.
2019-12-16 16:02:04.396 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:device:f1caec1a:node2’ changed from ONLINE to ONLINE: Node initialising: PING
2019-12-16 16:02:18.775 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Jallousie1_SensorPower changed from NULL to 0.7
2019-12-16 16:02:58.417 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Date changed from 2019-12-16T16:01:58.363+0100 to 2019-12-16T16:02:58.365+0100
2019-12-16 16:03:40.472 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:device:f1caec1a:node2’ changed from ONLINE: Node initialising: PING to UNINITIALIZED
2019-12-16 16:03:40.644 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:device:f1caec1a:node2’ changed from UNINITIALIZED to UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR)
2019-12-16 16:03:40.649 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:serial_zstick:f1caec1a’ changed from ONLINE to UNINITIALIZED
2019-12-16 16:03:43.805 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:serial_zstick:f1caec1a’ changed from UNINITIALIZED to UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR)
2019-12-16 16:04:00.175 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Date changed from 2019-12-16T16:02:58.365+0100 to 2019-12-16T16:04:00.157+0100
2019-12-16 16:04:06.952 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:device:f1caec1a:node2’ changed from UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR) to UNINITIALIZED (BRIDGE_UNINITIALIZED)
2019-12-16 16:04:07.362 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:serial_zstick:f1caec1a’ changed from UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR) to INITIALIZING
2019-12-16 16:04:07.395 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:serial_zstick:f1caec1a’ changed from INITIALIZING to OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline
2019-12-16 16:04:07.503 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:device:f1caec1a:node2’ changed from UNINITIALIZED (BRIDGE_UNINITIALIZED) to INITIALIZING
2019-12-16 16:04:07.524 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:device:f1caec1a:node2’ changed from INITIALIZING to OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline

Check addons.cfg and addons.config for invalid addons.
That causes addons to reload once a minute.

see the #2 post
you will see the entries of addons.cfg are in bold letters

nothing is specified there

And I said to also check addons.config which is a separate file.

where to find the second one?

This post indicates it is in your userdata folder.

cannot find anything wrong there:
:org.apache.felix.configadmin.revision:=L"4"
binding=",astro,ntp,weather1,zwave"
felix.fileinstall.filename=“file:/var/lib/openhab2/etc/org.openhab.addons.cfg”
misc=“restdocs”
package=“expert”
remote=“true”
service.pid=“org.openhab.addons”
transformation=“map,regex,xslt,exec,javascript,scale,xpath,jsonpath”
ui=“classic,basic,paper,habpanel,habmin”

after checking twice:
org.openhab.addons.cfg is missing in the mentioned directory…

What is included in there?

This is now a UI bundle. It’s in the release notes.

1 Like

That got moved. Delete that line & reinstall under “User Interface”.

EDIT: Mark beat me to it.

going to read the release notes (RTFM) :-((
Will update you once I’ll find the way to install it via UI
best thanks so far

Here. :wink:

I had the rest line in misc, and I had mail for actions as well listed in my addons. Mail looks to be a binding now as well.

Removed both those lines (noticed that mail kept failing to install as an action and reloading) and am rebooting a second time now to see if that ceases the reloads.

Maybe we need a mechanism in the future to auto scrub these files for things like this when they move around?

Quick update: removing those two lines did it for me it seems. knocking on wood z-wave and zigbee nice and stable for the time being.

It is called “Read the Release Notes”, shortened to RTFM. :smiley:

Hey man, I RTFMd (I actually did!) but still missed it…I’m only human after all :slight_smile:

1 Like

my issue is solved! Many thanks for the hints!

For those, which are not very similar with OPENHAB (as me), step by step:
–>check /etc/openhab2/services/addons.cfgfor entries (no one of cfg entries in there in my case, all uncommented)
–>check /var/lib/openhab2/config/org/openhab/addons.config
-from my system:
misc=“restdocs”
package=“expert”
remote=“true”
ui=“classic,basic,paper,habpanel,habmin”

–>Delete the line misc=“restdocs”
–>add the entry “restdocs” to the line ui=“classic,basic,paper,habpanel,habmin”
-on my system:
package=“expert”
remote=“true”
ui=“classic,basic,paper,habpanel,habmin,restdocs”
–>reboot
–>check http://YOURDEVICE:8080/paperui/index.html#/extensions?tab=ui for appearance of the RESTDOCS, install if needed (appeared as installed on my system)

Have FUN