2020 Zwave recommendations

Asking the zooz support they wrote me:

quoting zooz support:
Unfortunately the ZSE29 is not available in the EU frequency at this time; it is only available in the North American Z-Wave frequency of 908.42 Mhz. The same applies for the rest of our product line. While I don’t believe we have an EU product line planned at this time, but I’ll pass on the suggestion to our development team for their review.

Too bad.

Somebody earlier thought Cyrus may have the same or similar products.

If you read above: i already asked him for more info if available. But Cyrus seems not be existant any more anyway, from what i found on the web.

Some products are sold still unter this name. No outdoor sensor, though. I did not compare others with zooz devices. zooz does not seem to be related with Cyrus, nor an other brand supplying other z-wave freq.

1 Like

Likely the same Chinese factory.

I have a Monoprice 4-in-1 sensor that is definitely a rebrand of the Zooz 4-in-1 (and identifies as a Zooz on my network). Might have been the same thing with Cyrus, but 'm guessing the brand folded.

There’s a “Cyrus Audio” that looks to be based in the UK, but it doesn’t seem to be related.

We key off the manufacturer ID, Device ID, & Device Type.
Zooz started out with somebody else’s manufacturer ID but have used their own for quite some time.

1 Like

I am another big fan of Inovelli. Have many NZW30 switches in my house. Great support from them. I also have two Leviton DZ15S switches to control the bathroom fan. These work great as well.

For simple environmental sensor such as temperature, humidity, lux and gas, I don’t recommend zwave. They are too expensive. You can build them yourselves using the ESP8268 (NodeMCU).

Zooz can do that with a single unit. :wink:

Typo for ESP8266? If not, I’m very interested (though off-topic…)!

1 Like

Oop I missed the s. Two Leviton switches to control 2 bathroom fans :slight_smile:

Definitely typo :slight_smile: I am on this tiny device waiting for the lady and the kids doing the weekend shopping.

1 Like

I figured you were not interested in the double switch but I figured you likely did not know it existed & is supported in OpenHAB. I thought it was a good idea.

1 Like

I have one of those as well. (identifies itself as a zooz on my network as well) Uses two AA (maybe AAA) batteries and goes through them pretty quickly (3 or 4 months) it also is a little slowwwwww responding and has a time out and won’t retrigger for several minutes

Are these older devices? Monoprice & Zooz both have their own Z-Wave IDs now. Many / most of the v1 Zooz products used a different ID.

They can come from the same Chinese factory but have different firmware.

purchased Feb 2019
read my review here

1 Like

Sorry, I was skimming through your message quickly at the shopping mall. I definitely didn’t know something like this exist! That is very innovative. I am indeed currently using one Inovelli switch for the light and the Leviton for the fan. Could have save money and time with that Zooz’s if I had known.

Thank you!

1 Like

It is one of those items that are rather unique but make perfect sense when you look at how they did it.

I got mine in May 2019. I wanted the temp/hum/light sensors more than the motion, so the response time isn’t an issue. Mostly, I wanted to be able to use rechargeable AAs instead of CR123as. Mine doesn’t seem to deplete its battery as quickly as Andrew’s do. Maybe settings or higher-capacity batteries or a combination of both.

I suspect that they’re old stock that was sold to Monoprice when Zooz switched to CR123a batteries. Amazon Canada still has one in stock.

1 Like

Interestingly the Zooz ZSE29 Outdoor sensors I just received use 3 AA batteries or USB.

I’m surprised that more manufacturers aren’t going for 18650 or 14500 rechargeable batteries. As small as it is in the grand scheme of things, it would be nice if we could reduce the use of disposable batteries.

1 Like