Adding Zooz ZSE44 temperature sensor

I’m trying to add a Zooz ZSE44 to my OH 3.2 system. The device is not in the database, so I need to collect the XML for it. Where is the xml? I looked in /var/lib/openhab/zwave and I see all the other nodes, but not the new one. Yet OH seems to know about it as I can see from the MainUI. Is there another way to get the XML so I can add it to the database? OH shows the device as “Online”.

NODE 67: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! 027A:7000:E004::1.10

Is there something I’m missing? Or should I turn on debug mode and try to capture a log of the inclusion?

Debugging the inclusion process is not necessary as it clearly worked. Otherwise OH would not know about the device.
If you looked into /var/lib/openhab/zwave with a tool like WinSCP or Krusader (and not via a shell on OS level) you may not be shown the latest information. Try to refresh what is shown.
If that does not show the new XML file (the folder is the correct one as you say all the other nodes are represented there with XML files), try to restart OH to see if that changes anything.

The next step would be to delete the thing (NOT exclude!) and rescan for Z-Wave devices in the Inbox. And then look again for the XML.

Patience. That is the solution. I don’t know how long it took, but when I came back in the morning, the xml file was there. I was logged in directly on the Linux machine with a terminal open, not WinSCP.

This makes some sense, the files don’t get flushed out for a while since it isn’t usually high priority to get them onto the disk immediately.

John, Where you able to get it working? Curious as I am looking to purchase a few of these for my setup.

It was just added to the database, so I’m about to try them out. However, there are some issues with the latest snapshot, so I’m a bit hesitant to go forward and try it out. I think I’ll let that get sorted out for a few days before I give it a go. See My Z-Wave is borked. Maybe it is possible to only get the Z-Wave update and run it on 3.2? I’m not sure if that is possible.

If these sensors work, they could be really nice. They are small and fairly inexpensive. The Aqara sensors are okay, but I’d prefer not to have to deal with one more hub. I plan to buy more if they work well.

The current ZWave binding will work fine with the older core - the thing to avoid is updating the latest core as there are some more checks implemented that cause problems with the ZWave binding (ie even an old ZWave binding won’t work with the new core).

1 Like

I recently upgraded to the 3.3M1 and I can report that the sensor appears to work fine. It is reporting temperature which is what it is supposed to do. Not a lot more to say about it. The size is reasonable. I am very likely to replace my Aqara sensors with these.

Note that Zooz has given me some info on more parameters that aren’t in the manual. I will check on adding them, but in my opinion they aren’t that important. I can get temperature and the battery level which are the important items to me.

Did you have to update the firmware on the device to get it to work? Are the temp readings accurate?

The temperature readings match very well with the Aqara sensor located in the same place. I did not update the firmware.

The battery level is very odd, however. It bounces around way more than any other sensor I’ve used. 75% one minute, 98% then 100% just a bit later. That seems broken to me. But the temperature is fine, so I’ll keep using it. I’ve got a couple more. I’ll pair another and see if it does the same thing and I’ll likely see what Zooz support has to say about this.

Awesome. Thanks for the update.

I uninstalled the zwave binding and downloaded the 3.3.0M snapshot to the addons folder (3.2.0 via openhabian). When I restarted openhab, I’m getting the following error:

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.openhab.core.io.transport.serial

Any suggestions?

Answered my own question:

feature:install openhab-transport-serial