Advice regarding DMX-controller hardware

Hello everybody,

Within the last months I’m busy replacing my ‘old’ domotics-system with OpenHAB running on a RaspberryPI. It takes some time finding out things by myself, but at this one I’ll need some help/advice from you guys;
I’m controlling some dimmers and RGB-LED’s using DMX controlled by a ‘Velleman K8062 DMX-controller via USB’. This controller worked quite well on my ‘old’ Windows-system, but when controlled by OLA on a PI it doesn’t seems to work very stable.
With this topic I would ask two things:

• Does someone have any experienced using the Velleman controller? How is the stability?
  • Does someone of you control DMX-devices running OpenHAB of an RPI? If so; what kind of DMX-controller are you using?

Thanks in advance,

Jaco

it doesn’t seems to work very stable

What does this mean? Does it crash? Is it slow? Does it stop working?

I initially used the enttec usb-dmx with OLA. After that died, I switched to an artnet dmx controller (eDMX1).

I am using an Ethernet to DMX Gateway.
You basically can use anyone you want, but I took one from Ulrich Radig, because they are not too expensive.
I have three Gateways running and am very pleased with DMX as a lighting controller because the dimmers are relatively cheap and the protocol allows cool fades.

I tried to enhance the DMX-Binding but I got some trouble with it and the IDE.
With all the transition to 2.0 a new DMX Artnet Binding seems even further away. :frowning:

Updating the binding for openHAB 2 is on my todo list. What enhancements are you looking for? Maybe I can include them?

Hey Davy Vanherbergen,

maybe we should team up then - what do you think?
I already put some work in it and made it possible to use multiple artnet connections and multiple universes.
Unfortunately I ran out of time because of some private stuff but my plan was to continue the development.

Sure. I will have a look at what you have done already.

Hi Davy/Sebastian,

First of all thanks for your reply!
When I reboot my PI, I can control the ‘Velleman K8062’ using the OLA-webinterface, I can control it for a couple of seconds, after that I have to reboot the PI to get it work for some seconds.

To be honest I didn’t look at the Artnet possibility. If I’m understanding everything well, I can just connect the gateway to my network and connect/control my DMX-stuff with OpenHAB without OLA between them?

Regards Jaco

When I reboot my PI, I can control the ‘Velleman K8062’ using the OLA-webinterface, I can control it for a couple of seconds, after that I have to reboot the PI to get it work for some seconds.

If you have problems with OLA itself, the open-lighting group would be the best place to ask for help.

I can just connect the gateway to my network and connect/control my DMX-stuff with OpenHAB without OLA between them?

Yes.

Hello guys,

I’ve searched a lot the past few days. A few sites have quite good prices, but the shipping coasts are beyond any proportion.
This evening I’ve found this device inside the Netherlands (the country I live in).
I also looked at this and this device.
Do you think it can all work from out of OpenHAB?

Regards,

Jaco

I’m using that 0-10v dimmer, so that one definitely works.

If you have some soldering skills, you can [build] (https://www.dmxcontrol.de/wiki/Art-Net-Node_für_25_Euro) your own Artnet node on the cheap.

Thanks for your reply’s.

My soldering skills are quite good, but after thinking a lot I decided to buy a ‘Artnet DMX Stage Profi’-device. After installing it last week it was functioning immediately. Until now I didn’t have any problem at all…

Regards Jaco

@davy have u got the dmx to work under oh2, I got a ftdi dmx dongle, but struggeling to install ola under raspian now, so how did you do it?

I have finally got the DMX fully working with like zero delay, and can run chases/scenes/ and ultimately sound to light if I want. Took a bit of doing, but now I am in control. If you guys want to know any info just reply to this thread.

Basically I use Qlight Plus(QLC+), (on windows/linux/pi) and control that via MQTT to Node-RED to QLC+ via its websockets. No burden on the Openhab which could not keep up with even simple chases or lights on/off.

Very happy.}}

1 Like

I would love to know!

I have started a new thread for this

I would love to know you setup I run openhab with the dmx binding to a dmxking interface or a enttec ode or a Ola enttec usb pro interface they all work for me

Hi

If it helps anyone…

I’ve just installed one of these SmartShow NetDMX dongles for a client to control his garden washlights from OpenHab2.

SmartShow NetDMX (UK Seller)
https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/272772662530

With 4 of these in 26 channel mode

https://m.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_ip_bar_3208_rgb_dmx_ip65.htm

There are also 740 SPi pixels in his staircase, which are running from 2 x SmartShow Micro

But to be honest, I’m using OpenHab2 to remotely control an ArtNet playback server called PixOut