Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 V1.01 firmware update. (Z-Wave SDK version updated to V6.51.10 )

Hello folks,

did someone a Z-Stick Gen5 V1.01 firmware update (page modified on: Mon, 31 Aug, 2020 at 3:57 PM) already?

Aeotec Changelogs

• Z-Wave SDK version updated to V6.51.10

If so, is the ZW090 (-A/B/C) still running with z-wave binding?

Or is that old stuff? (IIRC latest version was V6.51.06??)

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

1 Like

interesting, but link does not seem to work for me…

1 Like

@marcel_verpaalen @Bruce_Osborne

Yesterday, the link was running well. I don’t know why it is gone.

Fortunately, I saved the page as a pdf.

Z-Stick Gen5 V1.01 firmware update. _ Aeotec Group.pdf (87.7 KB)

1 Like

Perhaps they pulled back the update due to issues.

In HA forum there is an interesting topic

The initial release of this stick runs Z-Wave library 3.95, SDK version V6.51.02 and firmware version V1.00 - Some of these units can be updated to the newer V1.01 firmware but not all of them. These sticks don’t work on a Pi4

So indeed, maybe some of them can’t be upgraded and give problems?
To bad there is no change log what actually is fixed/improved with higher SDK

2 Likes

You mean there is some bleeding when you’re on the bleeding edge of upgrades? :wink:

1 Like

These are only issues at the network layer - the stick doesn’t have any application level functionality as all application level stuff (eg all the command class implementation) is performed in the binding only. In general, this means that updating the firmware will likely not make any observable change from a user perspective.

2 Likes

…unless said firmware breaks communication…

I also did further investigations:

According to the following data sheet there are the following firmware versions on the stick:

Version__ Name on Sticker___________ Firmware SDK API SmartStart RPi4 compatible____________________
Version 1 Z-Stick Gen5 1.00 v6.51.02 3.95 no Not without unpowered USB Adapter
Version 2 Z-Stick Gen5 1.01 v6.51.10 4.54 no Not without unpowered USB Adapter
Version 3 New Z-Stick Gen5 1.01 v6.51.10 4.54 no Yes, works without USB adapter
Version 4 Z-Stick Gen5+ 1.02 v6.81.06 6.07.00 yes Yes, works without USB adapter

ZW090-A (US Frequency)

Version 1:

Version 2:

Version 3:

Version 4:

ZW090-B (AU Frequency)

Version 1:

Version 2:

no image found

Version 3:

no image found

Version 4:

ZW090-C (EU Frequency)

Version 1:

Version 2:

Version 3:

Version 4:

unknown:

The firmware update mentioned above is intended for sticks with firmware 1.00 .

Mine is a “Z-Stick Gen5” (Version 3) with firmware 1.01 , like in this picture:

4 Likes

The firmware file as mentioned above isn´t available any longer can you please attach the file here?
I am using the Gen5 Version2 EU and even when it won´t work without USB hub I would like to upgrade the firmware to 1.01.

Thanks

@boris03

Ok, here it is. Z_Stick_G5_EU_V1_01_DFU.pdf (674.1 KB). Please rename it to .zip.

ATTENTION, USE IT ON YOUR OWN RISK, NO WARRANTY.

Please also check your Firmware Version, you can use the Z-Stick G5 Backup Tool.

If you also have “Ver: 3.95” (see the red rectangle at the top), this should be Firmware = v1.00.

If your Firmware is v1.01 then you should see Ver: 4.54 (in the red rectangle).

P.S: If your Firmware is v1.02 then you should see Ver: 6.07 (in the red rectangle):

1 Like

Thanks a lot.

I do have the version 2 EU but when I am trying to update it is loosing the COM port.
Somehow strange, I connect the stick to the USB, it gets COM Port 4, when selected I can start the update but a few seconds later it is loosing the COM Port again, and a popup is informing about it.
Tried another PC - same error.

So I think I leave it for now.

Maybe Aoetec comes up with a new file, cause it dissapeard from their site.

Hi, Does anyone happen to have the US version of the 1.01 firmware for the v1.00 Z-Stick? It’s very annoying that the links don’t work anymore.

@htcheng

You will be able to download it from Aeotec after creating an account.

https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/login

Tried that and even after logging in the page is not accessible…

@htcheng

Please try this link:

https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/attachments/6071670590

If it is not available, then Aeotec must have removed it. Sorry.

Looks like they removed it as I get an “You are not allowed to access this page!” error even logged in… Thanks anyways.

Did anyone manage to update their stick? If so, did you notice any difference in performance?

Just setup OH3 on a new RPi4 and was wondering why I couldn’t get my v1 Z-Stick Gen5 to be recognized by the Pi. Stumbled upon this post and it appears I have my answer. Tracking down an USB-hub so I can try again :slight_smile: Thanks for posting this (even if it is only semi-related!).

4 Likes

The new z-stick gen5+ works fine with the rpi 4 without an active usb port and also the LED shows the actual state of the stick