Aeotech Doorbell 6

Kim, why not build your own?

I (think I) remember you showing interest in my ESP-based projects before. A doorbell would be a great starter project because there’s not that much to it. You also get to choose a real door chime, not a speaker with a recorded sound. Price-wise it’ll be a fraction of an Aeotec product.

I’ll totally help if you’re interested, sounds like a fun project. :slight_smile:

I am working on the database entry for Siren 6. It is a LOT of work because the complex device has 8 groups and can support up to 3 buttons.
The binding needs modification before we can add it anyway.
Please send a HABmin screenshot like the following to be sure your device is included in the entry too. I am interested in the Type / ID.
Configuration → Things - >[your thing] → Attributes (at the bottom, usually)

EDIT: A link to a pdf of the manual would be useful too, if you can find one online.

Hi Leif…
Actually I´m interested in anything… there is a coupple of minimum requirements though…

1. I can NOT wire the pushbutton. Out door is made of wood (inside) and aluminum outside. And I can not get a wire inside the wall. This leaves the requirement to a wireless battery powered pushbutton.

2. There has to be a binary potentialfree switch as well, cause I want to add it to our existing installation (IHC/Velbus) connected to an input module. From there I have all kinds of option playing around with anything.

It could become a nice project indeed.

Ah! I assumed you already had a push button since you were looking at the Z-Wave bell.

Okay, here’s one option.

There are many, many wireless doorbells on the market. The problem is the signal often doesn’t reach all the way to the chime.

What if you buy a 433 MHz wireless doorbell just for the button, and mount it outside the door… and then inside somewhere close by you could have an ESP8266 microcontroller with a 433 MHz receiver? It can receive the signal and send it by WiFi (MQTT?) to openHAB and any number of chimes. Through a relay module it can also provide you the potential free switch that you need, but you could also do this somewhere else since your door bell signal is already on your network (MQTT?) at this point.

You could also choose a different 433 MHz remote. There are many different types – not all will appeal to you aesthetically but one might.

If it were me I’d probably get THIS one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32806709014.html

They even sell the button separately for $8.10. That way you won’t get an extra jingle-bells playing chime that you won’t use :slight_smile:.

433 MHz receiver:

Relay module (for potential-free output):

Don’t get the 1-way module, it lacks the opto coupler. 2-way and above is fine.

Have you used ESP8266 (or at least Arduino) before?

Thanks.
OpenZwave cheated on the complex items. I actually did config items 1 & 2 last night. They will be much more user-friendly in OH.
The device id varies by country so I will need to me sure your device is included.

It uses a zwave device type that is not yet defined in our binding & the developer is away on a business trip. I hope the device entry is ready when he updates the binding code.

Thank you very much and to all the developers that work on this binding

It does not seem much but here is what I did last night for our entry. This is exported to the OpenZwave format, the same as the quote above. Which is more useful to the user? This is also ignoring our explanations that do not export to that format.

<!-- Configuration Parameters -->
  <CommandClass id="112">
    <Value genre="config" instance="1" index=1" value=0" label=Reserved 1" units="" size=1" min=0" max=0" type="byte">
      <Help>Reserved</Help>
    </Value>
    <Value genre="config" instance="1" index=1" value=0" label=Reserved 2" units="" size=1" min=0" max=0" type="byte">
      <Help>Reserved</Help>
    </Value>
    <Value genre="config" instance="1" index=1" value=0" label=Tone Play Mode for Endpoint 1 (Browse)" units="" size=1" min=0" max=255" type="list">
      <Help>Tone Play Mode for Endpoint 1 (Browse)</Help>
      <Item value="0" label="Single Playback (Default)">
      <Item value="1" label="Single Loop Playback">
      <Item value="2" label="List loop playback for auto-selecting tone">
      <Item value="3" label="List random playback for auto-selecting tone">
      <Item value="255" label="Use the last valid configuration value.">
    </Value>
    <Value genre="config" instance="1" index=1" value=1" label=Light Effect Index for Endpoint 1 (Browse)" units="" size=1" min=1" max=127" type="list">
      <Help>Light Effect Index for Endpoint 1 (Browse)</Help>
      <Item value="1" label="#1 Light Effect, mapping to Parameter 16 .">
      <Item value="2" label="#2 Light Effect, mapping to Parameter 17.">
      <Item value="4" label="#3 Light Effect, mapping to Parameter 18 .">
      <Item value="8" label="#4 Light Effect, mapping to Parameter 19 .">
      <Item value="16" label="#5 Light Effect, mapping to Parameter 20 .">
      <Item value="32" label="#6 Light Effect, mapping to Parameter 21 .">
      <Item value="64" label="#7 Light Effect, mapping to Parameter 22 .">
      <Item value="127" label="Use the last valid configuration value.">
    </Value>
    <Value genre="config" instance="1" index=2" value=1" label=Tone Play Count for Endpoint 2 (Tampering)" units="" size=1" min=0" max=255" type="list">
      <Help>Tone Play Count for Endpoint 2 (Tampering)</Help>
      <Item value="0" label="Unlimited playback until stop by user.">
      <Item value="1" label="1 time (default)">
    </Value>
    <Value genre="config" instance="1" index=2" value=0" label=Interval between 2 tones for EP 2 (Tampering)" units="" size=1" min=0" max=255" type="list">
      <Help>Interval between 2 tones for Endpoint 2 (Tampering)</Help>
      <Item value="0" label="No interval. (default)">
    </Value>
    <Value genre="config" instance="1" index=2" value=0" label=Intercepting tone duration for EP 2 (Tampering)" units="" size=1" min=0" max=255" type="list">
      <Help>Intercepting duration of a tone for Endpoint 2 (Tampering)</Help>
      <Item value="0" label="No Interception (default)">
    </Value>
    <Value genre="config" instance="1" index=2" value=1" label=Light Effect  for EP 2 (Tampering)" units="" size=1" min=1" max=127" type="list">
      <Help>Light Effect for EP 2 (Tampering)</Help>
      <Item value="1" label="#1 Light Effect, mapping to Parameter 16 .">
      <Item value="2" label="#2 Light Effect, mapping to Parameter 17 .">
      <Item value="4" label="#3 Light Effect, mapping to Parameter 18 .">
      <Item value="8" label="#4 Light Effect, mapping to Parameter 19 .">
      <Item value="16" label="#5 Light Effect, mapping to Parameter 20 .">
      <Item value="32" label="#6 Light Effect, mapping to Parameter 21 .">
      <Item value="64" label="#7 Light Effect, mapping to Parameter 22.">
      <Item value="127" label="Use the last valid configuration value.">
    </Value>
``

Although they are equivalent, Doorbell 6 has a different model number.
We will need to create that device entry by copying Siren 6 & modifying it after we complete Siren 6.

I do… I have a wireless Friedland doorbell (433mhz).
https://www.friedland.co.uk/en-GB/Chimes/Evoplus/Pages/D3003.aspx

Never… I have no idea what it is except for something electronic :slight_smile:

My next step was (beside the Aeotec doorbell) was to get a 433mhz USB tranceiver to connect to my openhab server… But after looking at tranceivers I got unsure whether they´re good or not. (and even which to pick beside the expencive RFXCOM).

But I wouldnt mind trying to build something… Just need to make sure I know what to get and how to connect it. And ofcouse, it has to work with the pushbutton.

I don’t have any experience with 433 mhz USB transceivers but in theory that should work fine!
A quick google search tells me that Sonoff has a 433 MHz to WiFi bridge. This might be even better because then it doesn’t have to be physically connected to something with a USB plug.

Decision time:

DIY

• Costs less money
  • Takes way, way more time
  • More fun, if you like tinkering and learning new things
  • Your newly acquired skills will certainly lead to other ideas where you can apply them.

Off-the-shelf solution

• Costs much more money
  • Saves a lot of time – when used as intended
  • Not always possible to do things that the designers didn’t intend

Your particular project is straightforward enough that I’m sure either way would work, so it’s purely a matter of preference. Your existing 433 MHz doorbell transmitter will work fine with either solution, you won’t need to replace it!

There are many off-the-shelf configurable firmwares for ESP8266 so I’m sure you could go the DIY without having to write any code. I’m not familiar with these (I write my own) but many other people around here are.

I leave it to you. You have a forum full of helpful people whichever direction you decide to go. :slight_smile:

I have Doorbell 6 (but not currently running OH). I can bring up OH if you need any info on this. Doorbell 6 has the following changes vs 5: The button has mounting screws. D5 used sticky tape and was constantly falling off until it broke. D5 had a 30’ range from button to siren and d6 has a 300’ range (with no obstacles). D5 had a faulty battery holder. You had to wedge aluminum foil in to make contact. D5 allowed custom sounds but erroneously shipped with all sounds at extremely low volume. D6 has 30 built in sounds but all but one are awful. The only decent one emulates a cheap ding dong doorbell. This is probably a killer for the product for a lot of people. The OH handler MUST support ability to select track and volume. The default volume is ear splitting. I definitely preferred D5. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for your input. Beside the range between the doorbell and the siren, my question is more directed at OH, since I want to know how well it does with the z-wave network, and which options it provide, (the docs is not that clear in this matter).

The doorbell connects to the Siren outside of Z-wave. The Siren is Gen-6 Z-Wave so should have good range to the OH hub.

The Button Device supports the following Z-Wave parameters:
3 external buttons with on/off state, sound #, volume, and battery level.

The Siren supports the following Z-Wave parameters:
Zwave S2 security, lighting effect #, tone #, tone volume, tone repeat, switch action, tamper flag, tamper volume.

Not sure which are supported by the current OH handler.

The Siren 6 is waiting for a modification in the zwave binding due to a new association group. After that is completed and the xml imported successfully, we should be able to copy Siren 6 to make Doorbell 6.
All the long hard configuration work is already done.

1 Like

Here is the Siren 6. Likely the configuration you want will be “hidden” under Advanced. Let me know if you have any questions. I needed to work on that a bit at a time.
I plan on copying most of this to Doorbell 6 except for some Device ID parameters.

@Corb555 Here is the missing link.

https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devicesummary/1089
Openzwave based solutions like Home Assistant just refer you to the manual for you to compute the 4 byte configurations like the first 2 here. We attempted to provide all parameters as clear as possible.

1 Like

I just received a Doorbell 6. doorbell6_attributes

Looking forward to seeing this added. Happy to help however I can.

We are currently waiting for a binding update to add some new definitions needed for this and Siren 6.

How long does this update usually take?

Is there a way to add the doorbell manually using the above xml files?