Alexa Translation Help Needed (Spanish, Italian)

I use Alexa in Italian (with Openhab Skill in English) to control my Bticino MyHome system with no problem at all.
I used the Picino module to set all up and I suggest it to everyone like me not very involved in programming…
https://picino.net

Hello Nicola,
how didi you install english skill with alexa in italian? When I open the skill page on alexa portal it says that the language of the skill is not the same as my alexa account.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Nicola, thanks, but it seems to be a commercial product, limited to only one binding (btcino) to workarround a FREE, opensource, vendor and technology agnostic platform.
IMHO it is not the correct way to suggest a solution to this problem.
Best regards

Hi Lorenzo, honestly I do not know. But, I think the code is little bitt different and so, should create a new lambda function. V3 seems to have more features (like item status: on, off level, ecc) and needs different tags in the .item file.
from what I understand, the official version should be V2 also.
V3 it’s work in progress. maybe I’m wrong, can anyone to confirm that?

Hi Nicola, sorry but I cannot find Openhab skill even if I set the language in English.
How can I do that?
Thanks.

Dear Claudio,
There are few options to do so:

-Changing all your country/language settings on your Alexa App while using a VPN server set to uk ok usa.

-Log out from the Alexa App account and reset all to default. Log in again setting all country and languages to usa or uk. The first or second time you will connect to the skill’ shop you will find the English one with openhab available.

These 2 methods are a bit tricky and you have to play with the settings several times in order to “cheat” on the phone.

The best solution is to create an Amazon account .co.uk or .com, access to the skill shop from the net and enable the skills directly from there.

Hope to helps

1 Like

Hi Dan,

any update on this?

Thanks VERY MUCH for your support here

Andrea

2 Likes

Thank you Nic. I’ll try.

Hello, any news? Seems Amazon don’t want to publish Italian and Spanish. I don’t understand why… Can we, as community, push a mail contact or some amazon forum to underline thatthey are very late on these skill approval? ?

1 Like

Dear Nicola and all,
I tried to switch my Amazon account from IT to US (without VPN to US), I installed the Openhab skill and through the Alexa Webapp I discovered some items… but when I restore my amazon account to IT the skill and all discovered devices disappear.
The Alexa companion app on my phone remains always in italian.

In your second option (logot from alexa+reset+english) should I switch at same point to Italian or should I give commands in english?

I also tried to install openhab-development (through my dev account on Amazon AWS) but from my attempts I can install only the v3 branch because the minimum nodejs version supported is 6.1.0 and the v2 is at 4.1.3.
In this case I have no way to discover devices.

Many thanks
Ivan

Hi, we could try to send some emails directly from the alexa app in the feedback and help section. However, I believe that one or two emails would not change the situation, so anyone interested can write kindly. Personally I’m about to write that I purchased my 3 devices and I mainly use them with openHAB. It is very strange that since December 2 they have not provided any news, usually it takes 5 working days.

Dear Ivan
This is exactly what I have done:

1. install openhab English skill from Amazon.co.uk/com

2. change Alexa language to Italian

3. ask Alexa to look for light (Alexa, cerca luci).

Alexa will confirm how many items she could find.

Now you can control your lights speaking in Italian.

Nick

Nicola, thank you.

I tried serveral times and after some hours Alexa started doing its job.

I don’t know why after some hours (session timeouts? or something similar).

It seems that Alexa is slower responding to voice inputs than before… but before saying that I wanna try for few days (and check network speed in that days).

Many thanks

Ivan

Great news!
Sometimes also my Alexa is slow in responding to input, I have always thought it was an internet speed issue…

Could it be something else?!

Nicola,
In my case it seems that Alexa is slower after I installed Openhab…. What I see is that now I have a hybrid companion app… where I can install skills created for US/UK but in Italian, the skills I had on Alexa before Openhab have been deleted.

So I will wait for Amazon approval for the “native Italian Openhab skill” and then I’m going to reset all to factory settings.

Still no news on Amazon side? I checked few minutes ago and it’s still not available in Italy :cry:

At this time do you think i’d better to wait the official reliese (that i’ve been waiting for a month) or install the v.3? And for you is better the v.3 or just switching the lenguage as you are talking before?
I really wish to have the official skill but still there is no piece of news so I don’t know what to think.

You could try to building your custom skill and use it in development mode in your echoes… while we all wait for the official skill release.
I built mine with payload v3 and works smoothly.

Saluti

Hi I have change impostazioni Paese/Regioni in amazon.it, select amazon.co.uk and now i can install and use openhab whit alexa.

Hi Dan, is there any plan to bring the skill to the mexican skill store? We got alexa recently and as the app is already translated to spanish, it would be nice for it to be available in my country.