Amazon Echo Skill for OpenHAB available!

I’ve publicly released my Alexa-HA Skill on GitHub. This provides verbal I/O to control your OpenHAB server/items using voice via the Amazon Echo. Key features include:

• Switch devices/appliances/lights/etc
  • Set light colors individually, by room or group
  • Control light dimmer levels individually, by room or group
  • Set thermostat target temperatures
  • Change between various scenes/modes (i.e. home/lighting/security/etc)
  • Get current states (i.e. temperature/humidity/luminance, power consumption, etc)
  • Trigger custom server side rules and return a response which is spoken by the Echo (i.e. say ‘watch a movie’ automatically sets up your Home Theater by powering on the Projector/AV Receiver/HTPC, lowering the Projector Screen, dimming the lights, etc.)
  • Research virtually anything via voice through Wolfram Alpha API
  • Display customized ‘cards’ in the Alexa App
  • Automatically generates the Skill ‘utterances’ based on configured devices/rooms
  • Crude support for Text-To-Speech ‘announcements’ by pairing the Echo with your HA server over Bluetooth

Latest install documentation:

Please open any issues on GitHub.

Thanks all!

7 Likes

Excellent work!
As soon as Amazon decide to release this in the UK I’ll be all over it!

Great work,
I read through the readme, and I peeked into the js file. However do you have a guide on how to proceed?

How can i get started with it? I use echo now with ifttt and then i just type in alexa trigger kitchen light on ->Light_Kitchen = ON

How to do this with your binding?

Cheers Kim

Thanks!
@skatun - INSTALL.md details the setup/installation - which is a bit ‘heavy’ at the moment!

I’ve updated the INSTALL.md to clarify a few points & added a set of Interaction Model ‘samples’ for reference…

Hi
I started to do the install now:

Which one to pick, dont they have an msi file?

https://nodejs.org/download/

and it also says:

Super Easy Install
npm comes with node now.

So does that make npm install in ur setup unneccesary?

I am really impressed by your work btw.

@skatun - the installation steps involved may be quite different on a Windows platform, but in theory it should all work the same :slight_smile:

For a NodeJS msi installer, look here:
https://nodejs.org/en/download/stable/

Regarding npm, it was an extra step for me on Linux, but if you have it after installing Node (i.e. can run npm from the command prompt) then you could safely skip installing it separately as mentioned in the instructions.

All the best,

Thanks,
Just to be clear, what is needed to be installed on the rpi itself and what can be installed on my normal pc, i.e what is happening in the cloud and what happens on the openhab server?

Cheers

@skatun,
Depends on your how you want to deploy it, but I’d recommend the ‘Proxied through a webserver’ approach (i.e. Echo -> AWS ASK -> Apache/Nginx -> NodeJS -> HA). I wouldn’t recommend installing the required Alexa-HA services on your normal PC (or your OpenHAB Server!), but rather a separate 24x7 server if available. While you can likely install everything on your Rasberry Pi along side OpenHAB, its better to have a separate public facing server handling these requests for improved security.

So in this case, the following happens in the cloud:

• Echo request processing
  • Alexa-HA ASK Skill is hit
  • AWS issues request to your public facing SSL endpoint

Your server then hosts Apache/NodeJS/Alexa-HA:

• Runs Apache, receives the request and proxies it to NodeJS
  • NodeJS processes the request using the Alexa-HA application code
  • Alexa-HA figures out what to do, and issues the command(s) to your OpenHAB Server’s REST API (on your RPI)

Hope that clarifies! :slight_smile:

Any way to get node to run server.js on a specific IP? Right now when it starts I look in netstat and its bound to everything. I am trying to get it to bind to just the private IP of the box on port 30000.

root@maggie examples # netstat -nl |grep 30000
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:30000               0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      

Trying to make that:

root@maggie examples # netstat -nl |grep 30000
tcp        0      10.71.129.1:30000               0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN

@sipvoip - My first thought was to edit server.js, but it seems Alexa-App-Server does not provide a configuration option to control the listen address, only the port. It depends on Express, and Express does provide a way to define the listen IP. Experimenting with this now! If we can’t find a solution I’ll raise a feature request to Alexa-App-Server’s author…

@sipvoip - Unfortunately this doesn’t seem to be doable without a change to Alexa-App-Server. I did however find a hackish way to do it by combing through AlexaAppServer.start() code in index.js.

Find line 218 and change:

self.express.listen(config.port);

to
self.express.listen(config.port,'10.71.129.1');

Raising a feature request next!

Where do I find confg.userId? I found config.applicationId under Alexa / Alexa Skills Kit / Get Started / (my skill) Alexa-HA / Edit

Thanks!, I was trying that, just in the server.js file.

@sipvoip - Just discovered this writeup on it:

userId: A string that represents a unique identifier for the user who made the request. The length of this identifier can vary, but is never more than 255 characters. The userId is automatically generated when a user enables the skill in the Alexa app. Note that disabling and re-enabling a skill generates a new identifier. Type: string.

I must have pulled it out of my request logging during development, and assumed it was static for my Echo! Filing an issue on this now and will get it fixed soon in the code. In the mean time, as a workaround, please modify Alexa-HA index.js, line 48, and comment out this block.

if (request.sessionDetails.userId != config.userId) {
    response.fail("Invalid user ID");
    console.log('Invalid userId: ' + config.userId );
} 

You will still be well protected by the applicationId check, which is custom to your ASK App!

Best regards,

While we are talking about that, is it a big deal just to support https in alexa-app-server? Right now I am messing with trying to get apache to talk SSL on public IP:30000 and then forward non SSL to private IP:30000. I don’t get having the apache server in the middle when express already supports https.

That is definitely doable. Have a look at AlexaAppServers SSL support - should even work with a self signed cert as long as you upload it to your AWS ASK.

For my setup I already had apache with a trusted cert, which is why I ended up proxying it through that public server to Node…

Progress, figured out how to get SSL working on port 30000 without screwing up my other hosts, I added Schema and both Slot Types and then Utterances and clicked next and got:

Error: There was a problem with your request: Incorrect syntax for the slot '{-|Location}'. Each token must consist only of alphabets, white-spaces and valid punctuation marks. Valid punctuation marks are periods for abbreviations, possesive apostrophes and hyphens. Occurred in sample 'Switch to turn {ON|Action} the {light|ItemName} in the {-|Location}' on line 1.

Great!

OK, you need to apply these changes to alexa-utterances module, mentioned in the documentation here:

Apply a temporary patch to alexa-utterances (which was installed as a dependency for alexa-app), required to support the CUSTOM SLOT types - should not be necessary after the next release of alexa-app!

This can also be downloaded as a patch file:

https://github.com/MaxwellPayne/alexa-utterances/commit/8599208037ada7020a3ab8c6fc979e31a2ff934c.patch

To apply, cd into your alexa-utterances directory, and then:

wget https://github.com/MaxwellPayne/alexa-utterances/commit/8599208037ada7020a3ab8c6fc979e31a2ff934c.patch
patch -p1 < 8599208037ada7020a3ab8c6fc979e31a2ff934c.patch