Android App Beta

With openhab stable app it works like before… With beta there is no stream picture visible.

Clear - understand. It’s a pity though…
Thanks for clarification anyway :+1:

Oh ok, maybe you can make it black and additionally add lines to divide them? Is it possible?

Well, this is the drawer from the Android support library and it’s quite limited. I don’t think that’s possible.

@mueller-ma, I’ve noticed recently that I sometimes get a toast notification saying that “Push notifications have failed” (or something like that). When I go into the app, it says that the device has failed to register with Firebase. I can get it to successfully register if I kill the app and start it again.

I’m on beta 2.12.16, but I saw this behaviour before the most recent update. Is this something you’ve seen/heard before?

Can you open an issue on GitHub? I’d like to see the log right after the error toast has been shown.
Are you using both beta and stable? And can you check if the push messages are really not working in case the toast shows up?

No problem, I’ll do that the next time I see it happen. There was an occasion last week when notifications stopped working, but I’m not 100% certain that notifications had failed.

Of course, now it probably won’t happen again for weeks. :wink:

Perfect, background is really dark again now.

Just tried ip cam mjpg stream with .18 beta, it works again…

Thanks!

Don’t know if it worked with .17 beta too, didn’t try that.

Strange, there were no changes in the http or mjpeg code. But well, it works now.

Is this normal behavior, that i only get updates to my android-app-items (battery, …) when openhab app is started on my phone?

Is there no background service, which will do that or could this be a wrong configuration of my phone?

Today i saw battery level and alarm clock of yesterday, when i looked into my openhab webinterface on my computer. Then i opened openhab app and immediately it gets updatet to the new values…

There is a background service and you can even change the delay between updates in the settings.

You cannot disable this service, but set it to 12 hours.

Additionally the app updates all schedule based items when opening the app or starting the device.

Actually I also see this behavior on one of my devices, but forgot to open an issue for this. I have a look at it now.

Edit: Can you go to the log, enable “show errors only” (the exclamation mark button) and share it?

There are no errors… Only data of my device.

Xiaomi redmi note 5, whyred, os 9

Is there an update of the wifi item every time my wifi changes or only at the periodic times? Would be great, if it will update at every change.

I agree, it would be great. But starting with Android 8 apps in the background cannot listen for these kind of events anymore. If your device runs Android 7 or lower, the wifi ssid is updated whenever it changes.

In addition devices running Android 7 or lower can also send schedule based items on specific events, e.g. a charger is plugged in. Beginning with Android 8 it isn’t possible anymore to listen for these events.

Hi,

An idea… it works perfect using my phone browser to view the charts directly and from basicUI embedded charts. The section under the touched area or under the pointer is the one that scrolls using finger/mouse wheel. Maybe you can get some clues as to how its done from the browser.

I gave up using the app for looking at Grafana charts because of this issue.

Is openhab habpanel viewer using another way to get the device updates? I think in this app i can get the updates of device states in realtime? Or is there the same problem with android rights like in android openhab app?

My previous statement wasn’t 100% correct. I opened an issue: Setting to make "schedule based" items "event based" · Issue #2014 · openhab/openhab-android · GitHub

I think that’s a different use-case: HABPanel viewer is usually running most of the time and when apps are in the foreground, they can receive these events. Or it displays a persistent notification.

Version 2.13.5-beta of the app will have support for up to 12 custom tiles in the quick settings.
Please let me know what you think about it.

2 Likes

Where can i see the tiles? Android quick setting? Is it the settings page, when i swipe down on the android homescreen? Where i can switch on off wifi, gps, Bluetooth and so on?