Android App Beta

That’s the error message for the notifications. What do you have set as remote url? Do you have one or more servers configured?

It’s simply http://<my domain name>/

Nope, just one.

Is this a custom openhab cloud instance or your openHAB server?

It’s my server, running Debian 10, proxied through Apache 2.4.38.

I have to correct my self about the url though, of course it’s not http but https.

I just solved a similar problem on my 2.15.15-beta that might be relevant here. I moved to a new phone and could not get it to connect myopenhab.org. It would always complain of an invalid username or password.

Anyway, on a lark I removed the trailing / and it started to work.

Try https://<my domain name>

How did you do that? I tried now, I can remove it, but next time I open the settings, it’s back again…

Just edit the remote server address in settings.

That’s what I’m doing. It doesn’t stick. As I said above, the trailing slash is back again next time I open the settings. And I still get the error message next time I start the app.

If you’re not using an openHAB cloud server, notifications aren’t available. However the app shouldn’t show an error in this case.

When moving to a new phone, all settings except credentials are copied. Did you make sure that the credentials did exist?
The app will validate the entered url and adds a trailing slash, if not present.

1 Like

I found the issue and proposed a PR: Fix push notification status if remote server isn't a cloud server by mueller-ma · Pull Request #2325 · openhab/openhab-android · GitHub

1 Like

yes and I deleted them and recreated them several times. It wasn’t until I removed the trailing slash that it worked.

Did the slash re-appear?

Interestingly enough yes it did. How odd. I figured this was something I messed up. I didn’t copy the settings over phone-to-phone but instead restored from the cloud backup. Maybe there was something there that went wrong.

Just to list the actions I took:

1. Got a new Pixel 5 (I like it :-), quite an upgrade from the Pixel 2XL I was using)
  2. Instead of copying from the old phone I restored from Google’s cloud backup (it’s a long story but I had to factory reset it and it was more convenient to do that than dig the old phone out of a drawer)
  3. My Tasker tasks stopped working and I’d get “could not update Item” (something like that) from the openHAB App.
  4. I retyped in my username and password multiple times and multiple different ways (typed by hand, copied from LastPass, let LastPass fill in the username and password). Every time I’d get the “cannot connect to server or username or password is incorrect” (something like that). I could reach the website from a browser so I assumed I was messing up the password or something.
  5. Once I convinced myself that the URL was the problem I retyped it in without the trailing slash (start with small changes) and boom, it started to work again.

If I had been thought this might be a bug and not my own mistakes I would have filed an issue.

2.15.16-beta
where is the APK file?

We’re using Travis CI to build the apk and they introduced recently credits. We have 0 open source credits, so we cannot build the app. I contact their support and ask for free open source credits.

Hello
I understand there are recent changes to code for webui and Android app to support OH3 UI. For now, is this is the expected behaviour? That is, open the app and land on the “…no sitemap…” page and then use the side panel to go to main OH3 ui? I don’t have any sitemaps…

Yes, it is. But in future it should be possible to select the default view: Add option to select default view · Issue #2334 · openhab/openhab-android · GitHub

1 Like

Is it possible to have home screen shortcuts like the regular smart home apps instead of ugly text widgets in the future?

Can you post an example of a widget?

Is it possible to hide the upper status bar (blue in the screenshot) when showing the new UI? The new UI now also brings one with it (red in the screenshot).