Android "push notification registration failed" while iOS all as expected

Hi there,

I have been strugling with this for 3 days now…
I am trying to make my android phone Pixel 4 to get push notifications:
APP Version 2.14.0

For some reson I am unable to register android device to the myopenhab.org instance, while iOS devices register with no issues and the notifications fire as expected.

Android app does receive the notifications per se… I can see them in the MENU >> Notifications entry, but i dont get push notifications on the phone.

Things I tried:
Openhab android app — reinstalled multiple times, clearing data and such…
Openhab BETA android app — reinstalled multiple times, clearing data and such…
Myopenhab.org — created new user to test if that would help, no luck, iOS work , android NO

So the problem is that device cant be registered and therefore cant get push notifications.

I can see that there was a related post with no resolution:
Related to this.

I have even tried to set up Openhab Cloud locally and that while working without issues, has the same behaviour for android app — no push notifications

Not even sure what else I could try.

Any help appreciated.

UPDATE:

I found another ANDROID phoone that still had OPENHAB installed.

Phone Pixel 2 Android 10 QQ2A.200501.001.B3, APP Version 2.13.0 ---- WORKING phone registers to myopenhab and notifications appear as expected.
Phone Pixel 2 Android 10 QQ2A.200501.001.B3, APP Version 2.14.0 ---- WORKING phone registers to myopenhab and notifications appear as expected.

but downloading 2.13.0 on Pixel 4 didnt help… still got the same error that notification registration failed.

Continue looking into it…

IT seems that the issue is in the app code somewhere:

Did you check push notifications on iPhone ? Do they work good ?

Hej,

I wrote in initial post that:

For some reson I am unable to register android device to the http://myopenhab.org/ instance, while iOS devices register with no issues and the notifications fire as expected.

While i didnt test on iPhone i did test on iPad and all works OK there.
iOS app version 2.4.0 (1580410446)

I did test it on iPad - it works good too. I even tested it Android teblet Samsung Tab3 - it also works good. But on Android phones it dosn’t works.

This is probably a bug in the app. A few other users reported this as well.

Can you try it again?

Whaaaaa???
Magic!!!

Working :slight_smile:

What was it?

Seems like I restricted the API key for Google cloud products to the wrong APIs.