I was thinking about move to Home Assistant, but after I installed, setup a few integration and started to use, I have some doubts. I use OH for a few years, and I’m using 4.1.1 now, everything in text files.
- Mobile App: Seems like there is a delay when I open the OH ios app, it doesn’t show the updated status, I have to wait ~10s. My android tablet stops my habpanel when I wake it up, and I have to restart the app. I tried openhabviewer, I cannot remember why I removed that app, but something didn’t work. I tried main UI on tablet, but it didn’t like my letsencrypt cert. Maybe it is user error, I need some time to find out what is happening there.
- Integrations: I have a lot of items, rules, habpanel, main UI, etc. But I have to use shell scripts, python packages to integrate everything. HA has these integrations, and so much more. This is my main reason.
- HA community seems bigger, but to be honest I could solve everything with OH community.
- After all these years I have some messed up rule, not needed items. I really like to start from clean, but I can do that on OH as well
- I thought HA supports text-based config. It is, but not really. I have a config yaml, an I can split it to multiple files, but as I read HA pushes you to use UI and some integration doesn’t have text-based config. Seems like they won’t support this at all. I hope OH will support.
- Items history not as straight forward for me in the database, but maybe it is just different.
- I cannot find any scripted or step-by-step solution to move my OH history of items to HA. Probably, I can create an sql script to copy these lines but it doesn’t seem easy.
- At first I think I can create more flexible and custom dashboards with habpanel or main UI.
What do you think? Let me know if I’m wrong in any item of these pro, con lists, or you can add more.