Applying averageSince to persisted quantities with units

Hi folks,

I’m sorry but I’m struggling with this. I found some great tutorials, e.g., Working with Number:Temperature Items in rules, and a number of related posts, but I’m still lost.

I am attempting to perform a mathematical operation on two time-averaged persisted quantities, Temperature and Relative Humidity (a dewpoint calculation, to be specific). I did happen to find an example of dealing with persisted temperatures, so my average temperature is working. However, dealing with the RH with the percent unit has me stumped. It’s probably something glaringly obvious.

My temperature is persisted as, e.g., 75.254 °F, and my RH is persisted as 71.0 %.

Here is my DSL code. I’m using Windows OH 3.1.0.M4. Any advice greatly appreciated.

var T = new QuantityType(SmartWeatherAir_Temperature.averageSince(now.minusMinutes(5), "rrd4j"), ImperialUnits.FAHRENHEIT).toBigDecimal
// var RH = new QuantityType(SmartWeatherAir_RelativeHumidity.averageSince(now.minusMinutes(5), "rrd4j") .... ????

T = (T - 32) / 1.8  
val b = 18.68
val c = 257.14
val gamma = Math.log(RH / 100) + (b * T) / (c + T)
var DP = c * gamma / (b - gamma)
DP = DP * 1.8 + 32
OutsideDewpoint.postUpdate(DP)

Give us a clue?

If your Items are Quantity types, then averageSince() should be returning a Quantity type too, and you don’t need to build a new one.

You don’t need to convert F to C, just ask the Quantity for the units you want (method .toUnit("°C"))

Obviously your RH retrieval/average does nothing because its commented out, but is this where your problem lies??

Background;
Number:Temperature types have a ‘system default’ unit, basically imperial or metric, C or F.
However
Some types do not have a system default - Number:Dimensionless (for %) is one such.

Interaction with persistence;
The persistence service only store numbers. That means it has to ‘reconstruct’ Quantities on retrieval by guessing the unit. (Note that means it’s hoping you haven’t changed units after data was persisted,but I doubt that’s your problem here)

So, to unit guessing uhhh reconstructing;
First port of call - look in the Items state presentation ‘pattern’ for a unit. This metadata is really only about presentation, but was long ago hijacked to also be referred to in some circumstances to seek a default unit for this Item.
Maybe you have no ‘pattern’ for Item default, next look for system default unit.

Let’s say you have no pattern for a Temperature type; that’s okay, it will store and retrieve in the system default (C or F) and that’s how your average should be presented.

Now let’s say you have no pattern for a Dimensionless type; here it gets weird. Uniquely among the Quantity types “no unit at all” is a valid unit. It’s taken to mean a ratio, a N-to-1 expression of a proportion.
I don’t even know if it looks for a system default in this case,but there is not one of those either so the effect is the same.

So no Item ‘pattern’, the state will be persisted and retrieved as a ratio,
If your Item state was 70%, 0.7 will be stored, and also retrieved apparently without unit (though really the unit is ‘1’).

The workaround here is to give your Items ‘pattern’ metadata with a real unit specified (no %unit% placeholder).

Your existing historic data is goosed of course, if this results in a unit change.

An alternate workaround is to leave it persisting as ratio, and convert to % after retrieval using toUnit()

1 Like

Hi Rossko, that was a comprehensive reply, thanks for the effort. So yes that was dumb, I realized after I posted my question that perhaps changing the temperature unit was all I needed to do! And that does work. Thanks for pointing that out.

If I understand, then var T = SmartWeatherAir_Temperature.averageSince(now.minusMinutes(5), "rrd4j") should work, and it does. My default temperature unit is Fahrenheit, and this gives me a numerical average value of the fahrenheit quantity that is consistent with what I see recorded. So that checks out.

However, var RH = SmartWeatherAir_RelativeHumidity.averageSince(now.minusMinutes(5), "rrd4j") gives me some unexpected values. I pulled some values from the persistence via the API and, as you said, they are fractional values, e.g., 0.70 or occasionally a much higher precision fraction I suppose due to round off error (see below). However, the average value obtained is something strange:
2021-05-19 19:06:18.725 [INFO ] [org.openhab.core.model.script.DP ] - RH=2.944002483914810

So if currently the RH values being persisted are around 0.70, why is the average 2.944002483914810? Temperature is working fine, but not this.

This RH item is a Number:Dimensionless quantity:

Some values pulled from persistence:

{
      "time": 1621467540000,
      "state": "0.7099999999999999"
    },
    {
      "time": 1621467600000,
    },
    {
      "time": 1621467660000,
    },
    {
      "time": 1621467720000,
    },
    {
      "time": 1621467780000,
    },
    {
      "time": 1621467840000,
      "state": "0.7199999999999999"
    },
    {
      "time": 1621467900000,
    },
    {
      "time": 1621467960000,
    }

EDIT TO ADD: I did try the pattern approach. It may be working, I’m waiting for the average to catch up with the new data…

I hope I’m providing enough info to diagnose this. Please let me know if there’s more I can provide. Much appreciated.

Rossko, the pattern idea does seem to be working. It’s providing the correct average of the persisted data. Funny how when the RH data is persisted as a fraction the average is wildly incorrect! That threw me for a loop.

Thanks again for the explanation. It seems it’s a complicated OH issue dealing with this dimensionless problem, but at least there is a work around. Again, much appreciated!

I’m not sure if the average takes into account the current value, which would be 70 odd.

Those aberrant averages were obtained before I changed anything with the pattern. The persisted values were all around 0.70, give or take. Strange.

Yes, so the average of several historic 0.7 and one (live) 70 can be 2.94.
The averaging is time weighted, not just simple sum+divide.

No no, what I’m saying is that when I first logged the average values for the RH and noticed the aberrant result, all of the persisted values for RH were fractional and all were around 0.7. This was before I changed anything with the pattern. I doubled checked this by pulling the persisted values from the API Explorer and confirmed all the RH values were fractional and were around 0.7. There were no 70’s or anything above 1.

Yes, what I’m saying is that averageSince may take into account the ‘live’ version of the Item state as well as historic records- which would be numeric 70. I really don’t know, but it fits.

Tried to check the averageSince on my persisted humidity value (on a tasmota device).
The API explorer shows all values being persisted as the percentage value (70 instead of .7). So the correct averageSince value on my system isn’t giving any clue. Sorry.