Are you using an outside weather station? If so, which one?

If you look at the install instructions, that’s what they say for the 1400ip too: http://site.ambientweatherstore.com/Manuals/ws1400ip.pdf

What I did (my roof is dark too), is mount it on a 6 ft pole that is mounted on the side of the house, reaches ~2 ft out and ~5 ft over the top of the roof.

Wunderground actually handed me a “gold star” rating for that thing, can’t be too bad…

Cheers,
-Th

Not sure if theres a difference - someone else claimed the WH2601 is the same as the AW1400 which I have - but there is a solar radiation sensor (see (9) ):

Manual here: http://site.ambientweatherstore.com/Manuals/ws1400ip.pdf

Cheers,
-Th

I guess, they are indeed the same - the WH2601 also has an UV-sensor.

The only gripe I had with that thing for the longest time was the shoddy software on the little network gateway box. It required a reboot at least once a week, otherwise it just wouldn’t respond. They fixed that in a firmware update along the way, now there is a option to have it reboot itself if there is no network contact for some 20 minutes or so. It seems they also fixed some of the more prevalent bugs in that update, since I don’t see that reboot happening for a few months now. So, if you get a older vintage out of a local store, make sure to update the firmware once you get it setup. It doesn’t do that by itself…

-Th

1 Like

As promised earlier, here the github source link for the binding for WS140x/WH260x/whatever else they brand it under:

It just scrapes the local gateway web page for the values, no cloud account etc. required. Not sure this works for all installs and all language settings, and is probably still a bit rough around the edges. Feedback definitely welcome!

Since there seems to be many brands that offer the same station (I didn’t realize that until reading this thread), I’m open to suggestions for renaming this from ‘ambientweather’ to something more generic. Does anyone know the original manufacturer? Once I figure how to name this properly (and perhaps get some feed back?), I’ll push a release into the OHAB market place for easier install.

Cheers,
-Th

Thanks for sharing. It is worth noting, that despite there’s no need for a cloud account or a wunderground integration, you should configure the station for wunderground integration - that seems to be the only way, the station gets an time update.
Without wunderground integration, the station is timeless it seems.

Hmm, interesting, never used it w/o WU, but there are setting for Timezone and DST, which led me to believe that it got time via NTP:

At the end of the day, the thing is useless w/o a WU account or some other form of storage/presentation. The internal web page is close to useless. Thus, this thing isn’t much more than a bunch of sensors accessible via the network. Time only enters the picture if that info gets stored somewhere.

Cheers,
-Th

Which other weather stations can you choose in the first field of the screenshot?

Is the IP-Indoor-Station compatible with other weatherstations, too?

huh. interesting!
so the station should always be in direct sunlight (for good UV values)?

The only other option is WS-1200-IP. Don’t think it’s compatible with any other types of stations, AFAIK it’s a proprietary RF protocol how it talks to the outside sensor array.

-Th

Correct, both for solar charging and UV sensor. It provides it’s own shade where it needs it.

-Th

1 Like

That’s why more expensive weather stations come with an GPS module for time synchronization.
but yeah, I guess, WU somehow uses the timezone (or that one of your location?) for time updates; I got the info from various posts on the station as they all confirm: time only comes with WU-integration.

Those GPS timed stations are designed to sit in the middle of nowhere and are designed to record data for weeks or months until someone shows up and downloads the collected data, different thing.

This station (ws140x/wh260x) needs to be connected to the net in order to function (it doesn’t have internal storage), so - since that’s the case - why not use NTP?

Time only enters the picture if you store the data over time. This station by itself isn’t doing that, it’s just a bunch of sensor values updated at a certain frequency. You’ll need WU (or perhaps OHAB2 + my binding + a DB) to have values stored over time (with a time stamp).

Not entirely sure what the fuzz about “missing time” is.

Cheers,
-Th

I flashed the latest v4 Software from ambient on the wh2600 … Same Hardware. Works. Only Ambient offers current Firmware as Download.

No
without WU you Just use the http Binding and regex to get regular Updates from the local Station.
I can Share the items to do this 100% local and Cloud WU free

I recommend Weatherflow Station https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/weatherflow-smart-weather-stations/x/13825996#/
Way better quality of measurements than toys like Netatmo and it has local API!
Bill Welliver has already developed binding for the station itself and also for calculations
Weatherflow Smart Weather Station binding

1 Like

I don’t think that’s the reason. Most middle-priced (and top-priced) stations are GPS timed - nearly all KNX-station do (and I don’t think there’s KNX in the middle of nowhere! :wink:

That’s a question of firmware - I guess not enough space on the RAM for this. You must consider, those weather stations are not the latest state-of-the-art versions, RAM was expensive in the last century! :wink:

That’s exactly the point. If you’re using the station not merely “for fun”, but for some (hopefully non-vital!) logic purposes, you have to be sure, the data is accurate - and up-to-date. That’s why we’re discussing time here! :wink: From what I’ve read, the WS140x/WH260x tells you via livedata.htm.

would be worth a try - as far as I can see, there are no mechanical parts for wind or rain measurements (which is supergood!), wind is clear, but I’m curious how the rain gauge works?

provides hourly rate & daily accumulation at 0.2mm resolution

Do you have one? and can tell how it works? :wink:

edit: ah I finally saw the vide, which explained it…

I do the same thing and catch the data locally … but I also then send it on to WU too.

I do the same.
But in OH I use only the local data.