Best Air Conditioner for OpenHAB integration in 2023

If you get the correct WiFi adapters (Intesis / AirconWithMe), it does. I have written the Intesis Binding, which works very well…

Sorry, meant MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries)

2 Likes

I think it’s quite the total opposite. A split indoor unit is always dirty and mouldy and you’d have to clean 4 or however many units instead of one. A ducted system has better filter and easy to clean (or in the USA they use disposable filters).

1 Like

That area doesn’t need to be cooled, but insulation is always a good idea so the heat doesn’t go into your air-conditioned areas. 34C is nothing.

Who says that ?
Mine need very low maintenance, filters can be exchanged quite easily….

@JimT Not sure how they look in the States, but on this side of the pond all I’ve ever seen is a mesh filter - rinse and dry it all it takes to clean them. Obviously it’s not a fine filtering. I did a filter cleaning a few times when I was not happy with aircon working in a hotel/cottage room… Last time 2 weeks ago :slight_smile:
Do you use central/ducted system? What brand? I want to check if it’s available in Europe.

@hmerk OK, if we have active developer on the forum I could stop researching and just buy the equipment :slight_smile: Thank you!

My experience seeing a few split and window systems over the years. The condenser fins and the catch tray gets very mouldy. The “filter” only catches large particles - the ones I’ve seen are usually made of some sort of plastic mesh.

Yes, I use a central ducted system. The currrent one got installed in 2019 - Daikin. It was to replace an older ducted system. Back then the controller was easy to communicate with an open API via HTTP. As I understand it, newer models use a controller that is not openhab friendly, and must communicate via the cloud , and worse, no open API even via the cloud. But please double check in case this is not applicable to you in Europe, hopefully they still have an open system. I have heard some people having success buying the older controller / adapter and using that. There’s a whole topic about it here somewhere.

There’s this: Daikin Onecta (Cloud) Binding [4.0.0.0;5.0.0.0)

Are you referring to a split system or ducted?

I was referring to the ducted system.

All split systems I know use a plastic mesh, probably what you’re describing.

The ducted systems here in Australia use a synthetic cloth filter type material which is washable. This is a picture of the filter material, which gets installed in an aluminium frame

In the USA, they use disposable paper filters like this

1 Like

Cannot comment on window systems, as they are not very common over here. But can comment on the MHI devices, as I watched the maintenance.
Filters can be cleaned (washed) or even exchanged, quite easily.
Inside of the devices does not look dirty after two years in service, even the one in my office, where I still smoke…

1 Like

Smoke is not the issue, it’s mold / mildew. If your unit gets serviced every 6-12 months properly, they might be keeping that clean and in check. But most people at home don’t do that, be lucky if they clean the filter, but most probably never touched the rest of the condenser fins (aluminium), the blower, etc and as a result, it’s disgusting, very unhealthy.

Here’s a video showing the proper cleaning process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFRY-14EUNI

I personally would always choose a ducted system for its many many benefits over a split system.

1 Like

As said before, in Germany this is a “you have to”, especially because they have to check if the cooling pipes are leaking.

We have rules for everything :joy:

This is the maintenance report, containing leakage check and “normal” service.

2 Likes

Assuming “normal service” include mould cleaning and prevention, does this rule apply to all domestic installations, and being enforced?

Well, the rules only say that there needs to be a service done every year, but I have not seen anything, saying what this includes. I can only say that the company which built my system does e really great job here. For sure, you will find other not so good services…

I wonder which is worse, Australia or Germany. We don’t have such a rule about air conditioning but here you need a licence (which involves minimum 80 hours certified practical experience) to install data cabling (ethernet) in your own home. Sorry to digress, I’m just frustrated about this rule.

So 5 split systems, 5x service cost.

All this talk about servicing, I need to schedule one for my ducted system. It hasn’t ever been serviced/checked since it was first installed 4 years ago.

1 Like

No, it depends on the time the guy needs to do the job and the cleaners used.
Had the yearly service last week, which took 1 1/2 hours for all 4 devices (1 outdoor on the roof and 3 indoor). He has noted (and I saw it) to have used cleaning and desinfection liquid plus paper towels.
So he not just opened the devices and cleaned the filters, but completely removed the covers and cleaned everything, inside and outside. Then he climbed on the roof to check there.
As said, I can not complain about the service I get, which costs me around 180€ each time.
But I pay this happily, as I know, my split-system ist in good condition.

2 Likes

The thing with the Intesis Modules is getting complicate…

My Dealer offert now the WiFi-ACCH-I for about 499€
But i found the WiFi-ACC-I for about 190€

I assume now that the WiFi-ACC-I is the AC Cloud Control, and the WiFi-ACCH-I is the Home Automation Version. I assume for integration into OH I need the Expensive variant - correct?

Thank You!!

1 Like

AC Cloud looks like the airconwithme version of the same thing. Those are absolutely fine, I use them myselve.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply.

I ordered now the WiFi-ACC-I = INWFIMHI001I0XX.

I will get the units installed in about 4 weeks - I will post again and feedback you my experience

1 Like

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries is still operating in Russia, so I’ll be looking for alternatives as I don’t want to support it with my money.

Edit: Most likely the Chinese producers like Gree didn’t even think about exiting the Russian market, so I’m considering MHI again.

1 Like

@HFM
Can you tell a bit more about your setup please? I understand you have 2 Gree split units controlled ofe wifi locally? I should be able to source the Gree units locally. I did a quick research and even multisplit domestic units have BACnet connection as option.

Hi,

The technicans just left after installing the system. I used for my 4 indoor units (3xSRK20ZS-WF & 1xSRK35ZS-WF) 4 times the “WiFi-ACC-I”.

It everything worked like charme. Just bind the Intesis Modules to your WiFi, enter the IP adresses and done - it works as expected…

2 Likes

If I hit any problems I’ll be asking for your help. 2xSRK20ZS-WF and 2xSRK35ZS-WF are being installed right now :slight_smile:

I want to thank everyone in this topic for the input!

1 Like