Best Air Conditioner for OpenHAB integration in 2023

I see that the same question keeps coming back, but the openHAB and the bindings (and vendor APIs…) keep changing, so… what air conditioner I should buy to get seamless integration with openHAB?

The forum seems to tell that Daikin models with OEM comm modules are the best. Is it really the case?

Background info: I want to be able to control it from velbus hardware that will be integrated with openHAB.

Reference topic: Best Air Conditioner for Openhab in 2020

Edit:
Summary as of 9th of Sep 2023:

• looks like Daikin now enforces cloud service.Local control is possible, but with a workaround. not sure what happens when there is no internet connection.
  • Mitsubishi seems to be working really well over wifi with Intesis module (200-250 euro) or a simple and cheap diy gateway (10-20 euro) based on ESP8266 (i.e. adafruit huzzazh or wemos d1 mini) . The gateway connects to CN105 and there is a open source library that talks Mitsubishi.. See also important info about Mitsubishi. Non-tech note: MHI still operates in Russia
  • Gree over wifi works as well (details to be added, but Gree domestic have BACnet as option as well)
  • Trance, light commercial types might be locally controllable option

Alternatives that are not ticking all the boxes:
-Samsung Windfree (Smartthings + cloud)

1 Like

@PrzemoF

Hey, I am running two ACs from Gree. It is very stable.

Have a good one!
HFM

1 Like

I am using Mitsibishi Heavy Industries with AirconWithMe / Intesis WiFi adapter. Those are available for different AC brands/models.

1 Like

Go for something with local control like @hmerk suggests (even if (way) more expensive), the cloud services based are usually flaky.

I have (all cloud based):

• Sensibo controlling a Mitsubishi AC. Stable, but only one-way communication via IR
  • Melcloud for another Mitsubishi AC (built-in adapter). Fairly stable, but goes intermittently offline every night
  • Panasonic Comfort Cloud for a multisplit AC. Closed API that changes without warning. Not recommended.

Cheers

1 Like

I’m looking also at a Mitshubishi Heavy Industries AC , model SRK25ZS.
Although there’s a Wifi adapter card that can be installed in it and would allow me to control the AC via some cloud based software, I prefer to have local control not depending on a cloud service.

@hmerk How much did you pay for the Intesis Wifi Adapter ?
Wich Intesis Wifi adapter are you using ? The AC Cloud or the Home Automation one with the ASCII protocol ?

Thanks
Eurico

@seime @PrzemoF

Gree is not cloud dependant. I use them only locally.

2 Likes

Hi

I would recommend a more commercial biased system that supports nice and easy controls, then link to a robust system like #Velbus that can offer you full integration with the rest of the building, as well as work extremely well with openHAB.

One of the biggest issues we see is people not doing the ground work that you are and ending up with domestic air con systems that insist on using their web based controls, which work with openHAB, but aren’t easily integrated with the rest of the building.

Try to find a condensing unit that supports simple contact closures and 10v controls, with room FCU that have similar controls.

Daikin for example have such modules.

So do Trane and the larger manufacturers.

As always, happy to help.

1 Like

Thank you for all the replies, so far! I didn’t want to limit models in the opening post, but what I’m really looking for is:

1. Local control, I’m not interested in anything that depends on the internet to work
  2. Well defined and documented protocol (bacnet, modbus, velbus) and if possible fully open together with implementation. KNX is not an option as it uses encrypted database and forces buying ETS.
  3. I’m OK with direct controls (4.20mA, 0-10V, VFC), but comms are preferred. Also I’d rather have a cable instead of a wifi connection.
  4. Most likely I’ll need multi-split AC - I don’t want to have X separate outdoor units.
  5. Light industrial models will be my preferred option due to modbus/bacnet comms build-in. I assume integrating them with openHAB should be doable (I’m learning to write binding at this moment). But looks like openHAB has good bindings for Daikin and finding a connectable Daikin model should be easy, so going for direct control might not be the easiest option.
    @MDAR Thanks for the link! I wasn’t looking at Trane yet.
1 Like

Don’t know, a did order a complete system with 3 indoor units (so 3 WiFi Adapters) and the outdoor unit on my roof.

My set came with the airconwithme adapters, which are a rebrand of the Intesis INWMPMHI001I000 adapters, using the ASCII protocol. (That’s why I wrote the Intesis Binding :wink: )

1 Like

Going for Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and the airconwithme/intesis WiFi adapter gives you full local control and is fully supported by openHAB as we have a binding for those adapters. They might be used in different brands as well, which makes them compatible too.

See my last post, I am running a multi split system.

1 Like

Apparently newer daikin units no longer allow local control. See GitHub - Apollon77/daikin-controller-cloud: Connect and Control Daikin Cloud devices

The newer Daikin devices sold since 2020 contain a newer Wifi Adapter (e.g. BRP069C4x) which only connects to the Daikin Cloud and is no longer reachable locally. These devices are only controllable with the Daikin Onecta App.
This library allows to initially (hopefully once) retrieve tokens by using a proxy to login to the Daikin Cloud. After that these tokens can be used and refreshed to interact with teh devices.

And then there’s this: GitHub - revk/ESP32-Faikin: ESP32 based module to control Daikin aircon units

I was lucky I got my daikin unit before their move to the cloud, so it works well with openhab’s addon.

2 Likes

Thanks for the warning! Now Intesis gateways are starting to look more like the best solution.

It’s not clear to me what type of air conditioner you’re looking for. I’ve got Mitsubishi ductless split units and I control them over wifi using cheap esp wifi boards. It rocks.

There are a few different options that make use of this library: GitHub - geoffdavis/esphome-mitsubishiheatpump: ESPHome Climate Component for Mitsubishi Heatpumps using direct serial connection

I use the one integrated into the esphome tool.

1 Like

@jonnydev13 thanks for the info! I’m trying to find out what’s the best type for me. I’m adding mitsubishi + esp wifi as a potential option to my list.

Maybe worth checking - Mitsubishi Heat Pump - have this in place for years now (4 ACs) and works like a charm. To add - EspEasy plugin contains a rewritten library (based on GitHub - SwiCago/HeatPump: Arduino library to control Mitsubishi Heat Pumps via connector cn105) which should result in faster status updates (~1s).

1 Like

@crnjan thanks for the opinion! You got it connected over a wifi or over a cable?

@HFM How do you control them? Wifi or Cable?

The esp module is connected with the AC unit using a cn105 connector and that is used to power the esp unit + do a serial communication with the AC unit. ESP module is then connected via wifi. Again, I’m using the EspEasy firmware for my setup (since it includes the plugin out-of-the-box) and you can access and setup the ESP module via build in web interface (+ do OTA, …), but I guess other firmwares would do the trick too.

Soldered look like

or

as an example - and I just added that inside the AC and closed it down, so it’s not visible anymore (it’s pretty small so should not be that hard to find place for ESP module within AC unit).

And last but not least - there is an open git issue where people report what unit(s) they tested with.

2 Likes

Don’t forget that the following contraints might be even more important of the way you are connecting with OH:

• Number of Split to be installed might limit your choice
  • External look of the slit my limit your installation choices (my wife did not allow a Mitsubishi and I only coul install the DAIKIN with wi-fi adapter with OH binding well integrated).

At the end it is a matter of the right compromise.

1 Like

For control of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries ACs you could also have a look on MHI-AC-Ctrl

2 Likes