Best hardware platform

(Holger OpenhabUser) #82

I am running Openhabian + Mosqito on a RPI3 with an Toshiba 32GB ultra SD card for now about 1.5 years without any issue related to data corruption. eMMC as alternative to SD card makes no difference, this is the same device only as BGA to be soldered to the board.

(John Chiasson) #83

Not yet, and that unit has been stable for quite a while. I have another
cn60 running lubuntu 17.10 that hung doing some compiles
just this morning. I wish I had time to investigate since these are nice
boxes for the money. I will keep using them
and do a watchdog reboot with the arduino as a failsafe if it becomes a
recurring theme. I’m curious about the Intel NUC
line too. I haven’t searched to see if there are any issues with those
under linux yet.

(2devnull) #84

I recently converted running my home router to LEDE (from an EdgeRouter Lite) on one of these (the i3 one) and it has perform extremely well. I have a bunch of cn60 as OpenElec clients to my central media server and those too have been flawless for years. I ipxe boot those so I usually take out the SSD and put it into its own SATA encloure as boot drives for other things. Yes, I like these chromeboxes a lot and find them very versitile for many purposes and sometimes you can get these for a steal.

I want to run OH2 in my ESXi as a VM though so I can use XSI backups. But I need to have my Z-wave stick on the ground floor in a central location for a good mesh design therefore trying to find the best way to run the z-wave stick and get the info back to the VM.

If I do use the chromebox for an all-in-one solution, I can still backup using dd, but it will be a bit cubersome but doable since it will be placed up (cupboard top) high to keep it out of site.

The good thing with the MrChromebox bios, is that you can boot via USB and use that to backup the SSD and then reboot back to the SSD and resume. With the VM, it is more on-line. I also have the option to boot via ipxe if OH2 supports it easily and backup the LVM on the main server like I do for OpenElec.

Not quite sure which route to go as yet.

(Rich Koshak) #85

(Fastcar550) #86

Check out Virtual Here, works with Linux, Synology, Windows. Works with a RFLink, not sure if it would work with the Z-stick. Only 50.00 for unlimited devices on a single server. Allows unlimited clients. The trial will allow you to fully test it out.

(2devnull) #87

Thanks…it is very interesting but a client/server architecture for this simple use-case seems a bit overkill…but, will consider it an option should the ser2net/socat not work out reliably.

(Fastcar550) #88

Seems like a server client setup with ser2net/socat

(2devnull) #89

Yes, working good so far. Not a separate server (product) required. Just a simple utility. Minimal requirements and resources. Using systemd to keep it connected. Had an old Beaglebone Black that I put Debian Stretch 1GB on its eMMC with the z-wave stick plugged in.

Thanks @rlkoshak, @snoekieboe and @happenpappen