Broken installation after restoring backup

Hi all,
I’m operating a quite big and still growing OH2.5.1 installation on a RasPi4 with 4GB RAM + SSD since years. The following addons were used KNX, Onwire, MQTT, InfluxDB, Grafana.

Since I saw a strage NullPointerException from Karaf crashing my system, I did an upgrade with “apt-get upgrade”. Many packages have been upgraded, including OH (to 2.5.12).
Unfortunately, this version was not working with my installation. It wasn’t even able to start and the PaperUI was gone, etc. So, I did a restore with the CLI tool to a backup I created before.
After this completed, all addons were missing and could not be loaded from remote.
The only addon binary I could find is for 2.5.12 on JFrog :frowning:

System is starting with that, but it generates error messages once in a minute:

2021-12-09 13:08:19.058 [ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing 'openhab-binding-http1, openhab-ui-homebuilder, openhab-persistence-influxdb, openhab-binding-owserver1, openhab-transformation-regex, openhab-ui-habpanel, openhab-transformation-xpath, openhab-binding-mqtt, openhab-transformation-map, openhab-ui-basic, openhab-binding-onewire, openhab-binding-knx, openhab-binding-systeminfo, openhab-ui-paper, openhab-binding-samsungtv': Unable to resolve root: missing requirement [root] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=openhab-transformation-map; type=karaf.feature; version="[2.5.1,2.5.1]"; filter:="(&(osgi.identity=openhab-transformation-map)(type=karaf.feature)(version>=2.5.1)(version<=2.5.1))"

Where can I find the addons for 2.5.1 and why have they not been backuped by the tool?

Thank you for helping me…
Miro

openhab-cli is not a backup tool. It just exports the openHAB configuration, not the binaries, not the rest of your server.

I wouldn’t know of any binaries older than the current 2.5.12, I’m afraid you’re out of luck there.

I suggest you focus on getting your config to work with 2.5.12. That might be painful but there’s no good way around when you don’t have a real (full server) backup.
Increase logging to debug level for a start on org.openhab and org.apache, eventually.

Invest in a new setup that provides comprehensive migration and backup capabilities, consider going openHABian.
Also consider moving on to OH3 to have it working before you run out of support for OH2.

Sorry for the bad news.

1 Like

If you are using the 2.5.12 add-ons kar file, note that legacy (v1.x) bindings are in a separate kar.

And to add just one more detail, that sunset of Bintray mentioned in the link @rossko57 posted resulted in the loss of any version of OH artifacts prior to 2.5.12. There might be binaries out there on the Wayback Machine or the like but if they are I don’t know about them.

For the most part you are stuck getting your config to work with 2.5.12 or making the jump to 3.1.

Theoretically, there is no reason why the upgrade to 2.5.12 wouldn’t work. In all likelihood I would guess you ran into a different problem caused by the sunset of Bintray and that openHAB was looking in the wrong place for the add-ons. That’s why you didn’t have PaperUI or all the rest. If you make the changes recommended in rossko57’s link that might get you up and running.

My last bit of advice would be:

1. if you want to leave a system running for long periods of time without upgrades/updates, never upgrade or update until you are ready for a bunch of new work
  2. the longer you wait to upgrade/update the more work it will be to fix what breaks
  3. even if you never change things on your system, often something will change or break outside or around your system that causes your system to break.

That’s what appears to have happened here. Unfortunately, you’ve now a bunch of “update debt” that has to be paid off. In this case it’s going to be upgrading everything to at least 2.5.12.

It will include the add-ons if you use the --full option. Otherwise it only saves the configs and settings.

1 Like

Thank you all for the hints and recommendations!
Next time I will think more about the backup strategy.

Crazily, everything seems to work, even if the error message is still showing up every minute.
Rules, mappings, transformations, node-red integration, influxdb persistence - all there :sweat_smile:

So, despite the bad news, your feedback is giving me good guidance out of the dark…
If I have to invest significant effort anyway, then I should possibly migrate right to OH3.1.
I just installed openhabian with OH3 on an old Pi3 to figure out the differences.
The migration could be a little bit tricky, because I have to migrate hundreds of things and items as a file-based config (e.g., the KNX stuff I generated so far from my ETS project).

@rlkoshak Your three points of advice should be printed on the OH login screen for everybody who is willing to operate OH in a long-term-stable production environment.

Best regards,
Miro