Builtin Display Panel

Hello, I have raspberry PI, 7inch Pi DSI touchscreen & openhab setup. I bought 7 inch screen for to display controls and also control the widgets, But it seems requires web interface and openhab panel works through browser. Currently toughscreen shows only debian shell screen :frowning:
Is there are any addon, mod to openhad so my panel could show up on raspberry pi attached display ?

King Regards.

Google kiosk mode raspberry pi.

2 Likes

You need a desktop environment. openHABian configures a headless server with no graphics what so ever. You need to install X, a windowing environment, and a browser. It start with a Raspbian Desktop and use the manual instructions to install openHABian on top of that. Then set the browser to automatically start on reboot and start in kiosk mode.

2 Likes

OK thanks, I got what you mean. I have raspberry pi 3b, may full system X with raspbian desktop installation overload it?

I would like to have some inbuilt display and touch controller on openhab :slight_smile:

2 Likes

IMHO. Easiest option to ā€œcontrolā€ openHAB remotely is a tablet. Let the headless rpi do the hard work as a server and get a cheap tablet for the ui.

1 Like

I totally agree.

My policy is ā€œOne machine, One jobā€.

As it happens, Iā€™ve got a client that has ODroid C2 in a boiler room, providing a GUI & Timers for 3 boiler systems and their respective zone thermostats.
Then they have 3 Sibo Android 10 inch PoE tablets around the property, so they can control any building / zone from anywhere.

(They love the fact they can also use their phones and laptops / work stations)

I did kiosk per this URL: https://desertbot.io/blog/raspberry-pi-touchscreen-kiosk-setup

And it seems OK but:
Chrome page loads before openhab therefore I am getting unavailable message on start
Screen responsiveness could be better :S
reboot takes long, screen goes off and stays so, and after 2 minutes it goes back

So there issues not fits in this thread, going to research and solved.
Thanks for your directions, comments :slight_smile:

Wouldnā€™t it be possible to delay the loading of the browser?

I am working on it, in other case on every reboot I need to refresh browser manually

Hey, seems like this is way too little knows, but vbier has made a super great android HABpanel viewer, that has awesome hardware advantages from the tablet itself (all the sensors and stuff) and most of all, it can be set up as a launcher, so basibally, your android tabletā€™s homescreen is your HABpanel. and if you remove password from the tablet, youā€™ll have easy access into it, and you can even make it wake up with the sensors and configure actions in your openhab envirnment based on the sensors reading.

I for one have a tablet docked in my cinema room, and when I pick it up, it automatically dimms all the lights to ā€œhelloā€/ entry scene.

Hereā€™s a link to the repo: https://github.com/vbier/habpanelviewer

1 Like

My suggestion: donā€™t start the browser automatically, but with a script, which will check, if the Openhab page is available and if so, will start the browser than.

Some inspiration: Wait for an HTTP endpoint to return 200 OK with Bash and curl

2 Likes