Can someone give a Short demonstration at Colleges in UK. Huddersfield, Milton Keynes, Newark, Kent or Reading?

Hello everyone.

Following on from a tiring but amazing week in Kirklees College, Huddersfield, UK.
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/ugcPost:7128828295789342720?trk=viral_reaction

I’ve been invited to return in January 2024 to delivery more in-depth demonstrations with the www.velbus.eu control system.

What I’d really like to offer them is a chance to see how a buildings digital backbone can be linked to other systems and how to create a web UI.

I believe there will be a small fee available.
You don’t need a teaching qualifications, as it’s considered a “trade talk”, rather than a formal qualification lecture.

If anyone is interested / available, please comment or message me.

I’m happy to provide the computer to run openHAB and remote access to the same weeks in advance, so you can build / plan whatever you like.

@hmerk @Kai etc

Is this something you’d like to do over here or even approach colleges in Germany? (Assuming this isn’t something you do on a weekly basis anyway, seeing as Europe is so far ahead of the UK in this area)

@MDAR Need to check if I can find the time.

1 Like

I don’t think Tutorials and Examples is the right place for this post. The problem is I don’t know what the right location would be. Organization and Events. perhaps? But does everyone have access to that section of the forum or only foundation members?

1 Like

I don’t think I’m a foundation member, and I can see this:

1 Like

Moved to Organisation / Events

2 Likes

@MDAR
Do you by chance have any more details on the dates.
Looks like I might be able to come over with our demo set….

Hi

I haven’t been formally invited back yet.

As soon as they start talking dates, I’ll share them with you.

1 Like

Having now presented Velbus in batches of 2 hour “overview” sessions to over 300 students in the last month, I’m convinced more then ever that there is an interest in this.

Someone is every session has asked “the question” about “apps” or linking things.

I’ve written up the draft of a 12 hour (fully wired) digital control training course and included an hour to talk about third party software and how it can be the “digital glue” to link things together.

1 Like

As of today (Dec 24th) this topic has had 346 views and nobody in the UK has offered to spare an hour or two.

To be honest that is heartbreaking.

openHAB has such an amazingly supportive community, one of the best I’ve ever interacted with.

I’m not asking for anyone to give an in depth or overly technical presentation, just be part of an hour to discuss how using openHAB can expand the possibilities of a connected home.

In the longer term, I’d love to set up a weekend course for people to learn the basics of openHAB etc, to help then get started and either build something useful for themselves or as part of their business.

I know I need this, I’m really struggling to get my head around doing anything more than getting velbus connected (but that’s my business, I’m not paid to do more)

Regarding this introduction to digital control systems course, it really is just an hour needed to discuss in general what’s possible in theory.
I just think it would be really nice for these students to hear someone else’s point of view and not just me.

If you’re thinking about it, please take the plunge.
I’m happy to help get you ready and confident.
One of my side hustles is coaching in 'stage craft" and presenting.

“They say” that 2024 is the year of IoT, but that can only happen if we share our positive experiences and let others know that it’s not as hard as they think it

1 Like

Who wouldn’t want to spend a day in an environment where your get you “name” on a board to remind everyone that you’re visiting?

I’ve been called some strange things over the years, in various job roles, but this is a first :duck: :laughing:

1 Like

Here’s the reason why I do this

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.