Can't find openHAB in iOS Home App

Hello @all !

I am really beginner in openHAB but I am really interested to implement my milight rgb lights into a smart home concept. Maybe there would be an opportunity to expand that later.

I installed openHAB 2 on my Synology DS216play (sdk) and installed the milight binding, activated the simple mode, installed HomeKit Integration and configured it (pin, network interface…)

Now I want to find it on my Home App but there’s no chance.

What do I have to do before I can find my devices? I would be really happy about each helpful person!

Best regards,
Dominik

Hi Dominik,

I assume with Home App you actually mean the openHAB iOS app.

Can you reach your Basic UI via a browser? For instance: http://192.168.xxx.xxx:8080 (put your own IP address here). If that works, simply put that address in your openHAB app Settings.

Local URL:

http://192.168.xxx.xxx:8080

Press Clear cache and Save to save your settings. If your phone is on your wifi, it should find your openHAB UI automatically.

@Maurits28: There is a dedicated Home App directly from Apple. So I think he really means that one…

I haven’t used this app before, therefore it’s just wild guessing, but could it be possible that you have to integrate the HomeKit Add-on to get this going?:

http://docs.openhab.org/addons/io/homekit/readme.html

Ahh, sorry, I should have read your post more carefully. Sorry, you did this already…

Have you tagged any items with HomeKit tags?

Yes, I mean the Home App from Apple.
The openHAB App works fine, I can see all my things.

Now I want to search for openHAB in Home App but I can’t find the “device” yet.

@robbieduncan
What do you mean with HomeKit tags? Sorry I am a beginner and maybe you can explain what I have to do when I installed the HomeKit Integration Service in Paper UI?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best Regards,
Dominik

You need to tag the items you want to expose to HomeKit as described in the add-on documentation: https://github.com/openhab/openhab2-addons/tree/master/addons/io/org.openhab.io.homekit

If you have nothing tagged nothing is being exposed so most likely the bridge does not appear either. I don’t think you can add tags in PaperUI yet. So either edit the files directly or in HabMin which does support tags

Thanks for your reply…

I read that documentation as often as possible, but I don’t know how to link the items.
I checked out where to save the homekit.items file but I don’t know how I link it correctly.

For example (the Documentation says):

Switch KitchenLights “Kitchen Lights” (gKitchen) [ “Lighting” ]
Dimmer BedroomLights “Bedroom Lights” (gBedroom) [ “Lighting” ]

Now I have this information about my milight leds (milight binding installed):

milight:rgbLed:********:10

I can dimm them, switch them on or choose a color with the color picker.
How could I tag this led to my homekit.items?

Can you give me an example then I can transfer it to all my leds :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,
Dominik

Well I defined all my items in files on the file system. So I have text files that look just like the documentation and I simply add the [ “Lighting” ] tag as shown there. If you are not doing this with files use HabMin. I’m not at home right now so I can’t easily describe where it is in HabMin right now but a bit of exploring should find it

I don’t need it in the next 5 minutes so maybe you can give me an example when you are at home?
I am not at home aswell but I logged me into the HABmin Panel and checked out the menu…

But there’s no way to edit? Or do I need something else?

No, it seems that this is not possible at the moment. Others have talked about the same problem here and here.

Someone there has written that he could change/add tags within the things menu of habmin. But others reported that this hasn’t solved the initial problem. At least you can try it this way…

So at the moment it seems that you have to manually create the items you want to use in HomeKit and create an items file for this. In this file you can then add your tags (like described in the docs).

Hello together!

I tried to add my openHAB to iOS Home App after creating an homekit.items file and an homekit.cfg file.
I wrote down all my items and what they have to do. After that I could see my declarations in Web UI but I
can’t find openHAB in Home App…

After restarting my DS216play I saw the openHAB Device… When I want to add it, it says: “openHAB couldn’t be installed.”

Do anyone know something about this problem?

Best Regards,
Dominik

#UPDATE#

I reinstalled openHAB on my Synology DS216play.
When the installation finished, I decided to configure as “simple”.

I have not activated the milight yet. At first I installed all the bindings I would need in future.
After that I uploaded my homekit.cfg.
I installed the Milight Bridge and all the necessary light bulbs without activating them.

After that I uploaded the homekit.items file.

I activated the Milight LEDs and added openHAB to Home App without any probleme!

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards,
Dominik

Hello Dominik,

I have successfully installed openhab homekit addon into my karaf server .
Then i have configured homekit service through paperui (i had given NetworkInterface ip of my openhab instance server ip), also i have created the homekit.conf file inside (conf/services)folder.

I have configured these default configurations

org.openhab.homekit:port=9124
org.openhab.homekit:pin=031-45-154
org.openhab.homekit:useFahrenheitTemperature=true
org.openhab.homekit:thermostatTargetModeCool=“CoolOn”
org.openhab.homekit:thermostatTargetModeHeat=“HeatOn”
org.openhab.homekit:thermostatTargetModeAuto=“Auto”
org.openhab.homekit:thermostatTargetModeOff=“Off”
org.openhab.homekit:networkInterface=192.168.xx.xx(this is my openhab instance server ip)

org.openhab.homekit:name=openHAB
org.openhab.homekit:minimumTemperature=-100
org.openhab.homekit:maximumTemperature=100

But i am not able to scan openhab from home app please help me out on this.
thank you in advance

Hello Dominik,

I have successfully installed openhab homekit addon into my karaf server .
Then i have configured homekit service through paperui (i had given NetworkInterface ip of my openhab instance server ip), also i have created the homekit.conf file inside (conf/services)folder.

I have configured these default configurations

org.openhab.homekit:port=9124
org.openhab.homekit:pin=031-45-154
org.openhab.homekit:useFahrenheitTemperature=true
org.openhab.homekit:thermostatTargetModeCool=“CoolOn”
org.openhab.homekit:thermostatTargetModeHeat=“HeatOn”
org.openhab.homekit:thermostatTargetModeAuto=“Auto”
org.openhab.homekit:thermostatTargetModeOff=“Off”
org.openhab.homekit:networkInterface=192.168.xx.xx(this is my openhab instance server ip)

org.openhab.homekit:name=openHAB
org.openhab.homekit:minimumTemperature=-100
org.openhab.homekit:maximumTemperature=100

But i am not able to scan openhab from home app please help me out on this.
thank you in advance