Chamberlain MyQ Binding

@sl92656
A reed switch is needed and adding one seems not too difficult

@ltai0001, good point; needs some more detailed technical know how thoughā€¦

@scooter_seh, any feedback on documentation?
Also any feedback on ā€œhow fast is too fastā€ for the pollPeriod? Is 30s likely too fast? 20s?

@Dave_Baldwin
I use 10s and it seems to work. 10s is fast enough for me to turn on hallway light inside the house. Getting out of car, unlocking the door is normally not done any fasterā€¦
I had issues in the past with going faster, they might limit the number of API calls per day?

They are currently only in the source code, I can add it to the bindings wiki

Thanks, @scooter_seh, where is the bindings wiki for this update? I looked for a github page, couldnā€™t findā€¦

OK, awesome. That is exactly my use case also.

In case anyone else was waiting for OH3 build, I took some time and grabbed Scottā€™s code and made it work with OH3 branch. It wasnā€™t too much effort. @scooter_seh, I hope you donā€™t mind me posting this. Let me know and I can take it down. Here is the diff: myq_oh3.patch.txt (86.7 KB)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rgEqOGhTXU9HcV5tter7M5DIX-0R8FUR/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

Thatā€™s such perfect timing. I just loaded OH3 this morning.

great job James @jmckenna!

Iā€™ce copied your jar to /usr/share/openhab/addon. Binding is recogized and iā€™m able to add the bridge, credentials are checked and OK. After adding the door itself as a thing a got an error Thing ā€˜chamberlainmyq:MyQDoorOpener:xxxxxxxxxx:yyyyyyyyyyyā€™ changed from UNINITIALIZED to UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_REGISTERING_ERROR)
Exception occurred while calling thing handler factory ā€˜org.openhab.binding.chamberlainmyq.internal.ChamberlainMyQHandlerFactory@6e656732ā€™: null
java.lang.NullPointerException: null

iā€™m using OH3 3.0.0.snapshot, openjdk version ā€œ11.0.9ā€ 2020-10-20

any ideas?

regards,

Not really sure. Did you perhaps try the 2.5 binding with OH3? You may need to to uninstall old binding if you did.

Indes i did. and have only deleted the old jar! Thx for this idea :+1:

no prob with an old version. when i checked the environment i did remember that if you use a wrong thing id it wonā€™t work (should be the serial (?) of the opener. I added the opener thing manually whtsā€™s bad. After scanning the found thing worked as a charme! Thx again @jmckenna!

@scooter_seh @jmckenna I wonder if we can take this and work on getting in as an official binding? Whatā€™s holding it back from that?

The json parsing code does not meet the coding guidelines and I have to rewrite it. This is why my pull request was denied before.

Do you have the feedback from where the pull request was denied (or a link to it)? I think some of us might be able to help you out with this so the binding is the default in 3.0 and later. Iā€™d love it if it was also somehow able to be included with 2.5 but I doubt thatā€™s allowed.

@scooter_seh
Scott: I wanted to thank you for creating the 2.x binding and sharing it with us. Today I downloaded the 2.50 SNAPSHOT from Google Drive, added it to the addons folder on my 2.5.9 Openhab running on a PI 4B. It showed up on the Paper UI as a binding. I used the Paper UI to add the Thing for the MyQ Gateway, then the Things for the 4 different doors I control through my app, at two different locations. Everything works as expected.

Brand new to openHAB hereā€¦ This thing works great! OpenHAB is playing nice with the door, but Iā€™m having trouble getting HomeKit to play nice with it. (Wanting to use HomeKit for Siri controlā€¦) If I leave the door set as a light switch, it works but Iā€™d like to have it set up in HomeKit as a real garage door, just canā€™t seem to figure out how to play with the settings to make it work right. HomeKit leaves it as stuck ā€œOpeningā€¦ā€ even though the door is open. Also states there is an obstruction in the way. Iā€™ve tried setting the HomeKit tags but have had no luckā€¦ Any advice appreciated!

Hi All,

I know this is probably a very stupid question but where do I find my devices ID for the items file?

Thanks,
Paul

Itā€™s been a while since I last added it so I donā€™t remember all the details.

The new binding is no longer configured from the .things file. Once copied to the add-on folder, you need to go to PaperUI --> Things --> Click on the + sign, and choose the binding. It should discover your door.