Charts via rrd4j - stopped filling persistence

So it seems I was a bit hasty in assuming that the error was fixed. Apparently, after clearing the cache only the initial values were stored for all the values that I tested. Thereafter, the same problem reappears, i.e. only a few values are being stored, as visible in the graph below.

Perhaps that is the problem indeed. Initially I only started out with 50+ items, so I thought it would be fine. Maybe with 200+ it is reaching its limits. I do have an SSD attached (through an external hub) though, so normally it shouldn’t be a problem, but then who knows!

Which persistence services do you have installed?
Is rrd4j set as the default service?

My apologies. I wasn’t aware of that but even the other values aren’t stored. I had checked other values then too. Here is a log of another parameter. It seems only some values were stored after clearing the cache:
{"name":"Masterbed_Temperature","datapoints":"10","data":[{"time":1587630960000,"state":"21.0"},{"time":1587631200000,"state":"21.0"},{"time":1587631440000,"state":"21.0"},{"time":1587631680000,"state":"21.0"},{"time":1587631920000,"state":"21.0"},{"time":1587632160000,"state":"21.0"},{"time":1587632400000,"state":"20.934444444444445"},{"time":1587632640000,"state":"20.8"},{"time":1587632880000,"state":"20.8"},{"time":1587633120000,"state":"20.8"}]}

I can confirm that new values were collected by openhab (when I grep for this element in events.log), but not stored. As mentioned earlier, the timestamp still corresponds to the most recent element value read by Openhab, and NOT of the content in the rrd file.

Well, the graph is still using those files. It just seems that when using the REST URL, there is a default time start used. When I chose an earlier date to start showing the values, they were all there. Of course when I remove the old files, that data is not shown.

Sure, but I can really confirm that for some elements all data is stored, while for the rest, no updates are made, just file time-stamp is updated.

So, I called the REST api call on the group element. I don’t have any group where all the elements are updated, but at least it does store some data as seen below. So, apparently, it is not true that Rest API calls to group elements always return no data. :slight_smile:

{"name":"gTemperaturePlotOutside","datapoints":"43","data":[{"time":1587630780000,"state":"15.1"},{"time":1587630840000,"state":"15.1"},{"time":1587630900000,"state":"15.1"},{"time":1587630960000,"state":"15.1"},{"time":1587631020000,"state":"15.1"},
{"time":1587631080000,"state":"15.1"},{"time":1587631140000,"state":"15.1"},{"time":1587633240000,"state":"15.9"},{"time":1587633300000,"state":"15.9"}]}

Btw, I tried to update the rrd config file and a little after it reloaded, I got this error in openhab.log

2020-04-23 16:06:02.257 [WARN ] [ore.internal.scheduler.SchedulerImpl] - Scheduled job failed and stopped

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: null

at java.nio.Buffer.position(Buffer.java:244) ~[?:1.8.0_222]

at org.rrd4j.core.RrdNioBackend.read(RrdNioBackend.java:172) ~[?:?]

Does anyone know why this error occurs, or how one could fix this?
Thanks a lot in advance!!

That is a highly suspicious every-4-minutes. The kind of thing rrd4j would do when compressing data? (Which wouldn’t happen for “todays data” with usual settings)
Sure you are looking at the same database with same .persist file?

No-one said that, quite.
Not all Groups have a state that could be persisted - it needs to be assigned a type and aggregation function.
Group persist generally means members, not Group itself.
You can specify a Group explicitly to get it persisted (if possible).
We’re not yet sure if * everything would include that mode.
Your data suggests that it does.

As you think it is related to some mysterious change you made in your rrd config, maybe you wan to share that?

Well, the data does also change every so often. Yes, I am very sure the data corresponds to the same .persist file…

Sure, here it is. I had created the two commented lines to check whether limiting the number of variables that are persisted would help, but it didn’t. I must admit that I didn’t do a full clearing cache cycle though.

Strategies {
// for rrd charts, we need a cron strategy
everyMinute : "0 * * * * ?"
        default = everyChange
}
Items {
//        gTemperaturePlotInside : strategy = everyUpdate, everyMinute
//        gTemperaturePlotOutside : strategy = everyUpdate, everyMinute
        * : strategy = everyUpdate, everyMinute
}

Regarding groups, I currently have no aggregate function. The items are grouped for the sole purpose of plotting a graph easily.

Okay, you edited rrdj4.persist not rrd4j.cfg which are different files with different purposes.

Gotta read the docs carefully.

That will persist the state of the Group Item only (if it has one).
It will not persist the state of member Items.
If member Items are not persisted, there will be no data.
When you plot a Chart widget specifying a Group, it does not plot the data for the Group Item.
It fetches and plots the data for the individual member Items.
If there is no data, no chart.

Specifying
gTemperaturePlotInside*
in a persist file will persist members of that group.
But not the group’s own state. (who cares, its not used for charting)

1 Like

This output of a REST call was using the (default) last 24 houres timeframe. Using this timeframe rrd4j would give you a value every 4 min, hence the timedifference of each timestamp is 240000!
@rossko57, that is the default setup of rrd4j, minute-wise data is kept only for 8 houres!

The event.log will show what openHAB “knows”, setting the rrd4j persistence service to log DEBUG messages would show what is persisted!

Correct, without specifying the starttime, REST will use 24 houres ago and without using the endtime, REST will NOW!

1 Like

Useful info, I thought it compacted daily by default.

I used to think the same way, after finding the correct setup I did put the description into the documentation. It’s on the end of that paragraph.

aah, my apologies. But since I hadn’t changed anything in that file, I thought it wasn’t relevant. I just had a look at that file as well. It is essentially blank containing only default commented lines.

Indeed, I really only want to plot the graph of individual items, and that purpose is achieved. In fact, the group*.rrd is really not necessary to be stored.

But then I do have data also of all the other items due to my *: strategy right. Or are you suggesting that I shouldn’t have been using rrd4j.persist in the first place? After all, I was getting data since the last year or so with the exact same configuration, unless some thing has changed in the newer version and made the format checking more strict.

Any suggestions on how to proceed short of restoring the backup from 3-4 days ago?

Btw, thanks a lot to all for trying to help so far! :slight_smile:

I would only persist the items which I care for. Although rrd4j files never grow, persisting 200 items when caring only for a couple of them is putting load on the system ( a raspi!) that isn’t needed.

Sure, will try it out and let you know how it goes!
I am also considering switching to InfluxDB+Grafana but that will probably be even more demanding for a Raspi…

Should have. Something, somewhere is going wrong for you.

It didn’t have the comments lines. Might seem silly but persist files are picky about blank lines, for example.

My explanation about persist group/group* handling differences was meant to explain why your experiment with those commented lines could not work with your charting.

Maybe. More likely nothing to do with your config, more to do with some system setting.
We haven’t seen solid evidence of missing data yet (although proving a negative is tricky).

Adding to that, much depends on your overall system config. You’re generating at least 200 records per minute, plus any ad-hoc updates. Bindings like Modbus can generate 200 updates per second, which has bitten people. (Most don’t do anything like that, of course).

You’re logging each minute; do you need updates in-between? What for? everyChange would be more efficient … but again, what for?
These sort of considerations can become important on a resource strapped Pi.

I’m sorry for for stepping in again, however rrd4j requires the every minute strategy.

Yes. So, when logging every minute, do you also need to additionally log every update etc. etc.?
You might for some purposes wanting seconds accuracy, but then you wouldn’t use rrd4j anyway for that.

EveryUdate is not required. My guess is that most users do it without really reasoning. Those values would be aggregated after 8 houres anyway.

Thanks a lot. Adding only the required entries has helped. The result below shows that. Regarding

Indeed. I guess one could use tools to extract information from the rrd files into text format that one can then really see whether the data is there. I will be happy to share my rrd file, if someone is interested. :slight_smile:

If you really want to have a deep look into the stored data read Here.
It is possible to change data that way, however one has to note that the data corresponding to a special time has to be changed in each and every archive separately in order to keep a consistent database.

It’s all a bit curious. That does suggest that maybe some of your 300ish-per-minute record writes were getting dropped, under stress say. The change in circumstances could originate anywhere. But that is not really an outlandish rate.