Chromecast audiosink SOMETIMES stops working

Hi all,

I’ve setup a Google Home Mini using the Chromecast binding.
The default audiosink is set to the Google Home Mini.

In general everything is working fine, but sometimes the “say” functionality is not working and I’m getting errors in the log file.

2020-04-29 15:36:41.469 [WARN ] [su.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.Channel ] - Error while reading, caused by su.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Remote socket closed
2020-04-29 15:36:41.471 [WARN ] [su.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.Channel ] - <-- null payload in message
2020-04-29 15:37:11.488 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘chromecast:chromecast:HomeMiniLR’ changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Waiting for response timed out
2020-04-29 15:37:12.964 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘chromecast:chromecast:HomeMiniLR’ changed from OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Waiting for response timed out to ONLINE

If the same request is executed a second time, everything is working as expected. For me it looks like the Google Home Mini is in “Sleep Mode”.
As this issue appears just sometime, it’s not that easy to reproduce.
I’m not sure if there’s something wrong on my network or on my configuration or if this is a bug.

I found the following interesting posts:


–> Is this the only option to fix the issue?


–> For me the sink is not working and its not just about an entry in the logfile


–> This cant be the issue on my end, because otherwise the sink would not work at all.

Could it be poor WiFi? Check your WiFi strength.
I have a few Mini´s and Hubs, and I have no issue with the binding or audiosink. Infact i use it alot as my Nest Hub is responding to some of my rules, where I use the GoogleTTS and send it to the Hub. I know this is not audiosink. But at least it shows, the devices do not sleep. So I doubt thats the reason.

Is there an option to display the WiFi strength of the home mini?
The device is located about 3 meters away from the router, so I guess the signal should be fine.

What do you mean with this is not audio sink?
Maybe I understood something wrong. I thought it is called “audio sink” when the home mini says a specific text phrase.

There is no option to test it, except using your phone.
3 meters from the router do sound good enough though… Is it connected on 2G or 5G?

Sorry my mistake… What I meant was, its not set up as default audio sink… Ofcouse its still an audio sink… Sorry…

It’s 2G connected. With my phone I don’t have any connection issues.

Really every time when the error occurred, it was working on the second try.

Can you see from the openhab log if it disconnect?

I have 4 devices, and none of them act the same as you descripe. Mines are connected through 5G, however I would have suspected 5G beeing less stable than 2G.

This part is added to openhab.log

This part is added to events.log

There are no other entries in the logfiles - also not earlier timeframe

I see those once in a while as well, (very seldom). But it has never affected any say commands I send to the devices.

Its very odd problem you have…
Maybe try trace logging to see if it returns anything?

I have just one thing in mind that could be changed in my setup.
The home mini has been added using a .things file. I will remove that file and add the device through Paper UI. Lets see if this solves the issue - if not I will change the loglevel.

It shouldnt have any influence wether you use things files or PaperUI…
Normally I would be using things files as well. But these devices I use PaperUI, (i´m not really sure why I did that).

Which openhab version do you use? I use:


                          __  _____    ____
  ____  ____  ___  ____  / / / /   |  / __ )
 / __ \/ __ \/ _ \/ __ \/ /_/ / /| | / __  |
/ /_/ / /_/ /  __/ / / / __  / ___ |/ /_/ /
\____/ .___/\___/_/ /_/_/ /_/_/  |_/_____/
    /_/                        2.5.0
                               Release Build

Hit '<tab>' for a list of available commands
and '[cmd] --help' for help on a specific command.
Hit '<ctrl-d>' or type 'system:shutdown' or 'logout' to shutdown openHAB.

openhab> bundle:list -s |grep -i chrome
255 x Active x  80 x 2.5.0                   x org.openhab.binding.chromecast
openhab>

I think there may be an updated binding somewhere.

I agree wich you, it shouldn’t make any difference, but lets give it a try.

I have the following version installed:
Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-30 um 18.49.49