Configuration of Ring Gen2 Door/Window Sensor

Hello openHABians/openHABites/etc… I’m having some trouble configuring a Ring Gen2 Door/Window (Contact) Sensor with my system. I would like to use the “open”/“close” status as a trigger for a light switch. My apologies in advance if there’s not enough information - this is my first time reaching out to the community for help; I’ll add more if asked. (I work in IT, so most issues have been manageable until this one.)

Platform:

• Raspberry Pi 3B+
  • Aeotec Gen5 Z-Stick
  • openHAB image w/ openHAB Main (all up to date)

Issue:

• Ring Gen2 Door/Window Sensor [“Sensor”] loaded on Z-Wave Node 11
  • Sensor was included (after some trial and error)
  • Not reporting any data to the channels - maybe using the wrong item config?

Thing Configuration:

UID: zwave:device:master:node11
label: f2_bed_closet_sensor
thingTypeUID: zwave:ring_4sd2sz0en0_00_000
configuration:
  config_1_1: 70
  config_2_1: 1
  config_6_2: 1500
  wakeup_node: 0
  wakeup_interval: 43200
  config_3_1: 5
  group_1: []
  config_4_1: 1
  node_id: 11
  config_5_2: 0
bridgeUID: zwave:serial_zstick:master

Do you have any ideas to get the Sensor to successfully include itself, and and that, the correct Item/channel link configuration to capture the “open”/“close” to use as a control for my light switch?

The device information is unknown to the binding. The usual cause of this for battery devices is they need to be woken up (a few times potentially) to allow the initialisation to complete.

Hi Jonathan,

Did you get this working?

I’m just trying to add one, but it’s appearing in PaperUI as unknown device.

Thanks

Adam

Anyone got it working? Same problem here…

For current and future owners of this device;

Zwave wave devices are generally identified by the TYPE:ID pair (also infrequently the firmware version). Some manufacturers change the TYPE:ID numbers as the device is changed (FW or other change) or simply to identify the year it is made.

This device is in the DB (on 4-1-2024) with the following TYPE:ID’s (0201:0301,0201:0401,0201:0601). These can be found for an unidentified device in the userdata/zwave folder (or var/lib/openhab/zwave with most OH installations) in an XML file (like network_d2818a75__node_3.xml). The other thing to notice is the last approval date at the bottom of the linked ZW DB “Overview” tab. Zwave devices are only added prospectively, not retroactively to OH. In this case the last update was Jan 11, 2024 and it was the last TYPE:ID (0201:0601). This was after the OH4.1 release and not included in the OH4.1.x releases.

So with that background when confronting an unknown device

1. Check your device TYPE:ID in you local XML
  2. Check if that pair in included in the ZW DB (also (in the general “unknown” case) check the ZW DB for your device)
  3. Assess the last update date-time relative to your OH version
  4. Options
    a) If local TYPE:ID not in DB, it will need to be added (see ZW DB Blog)
    b) If local is in the DB; Options
    i) Upgrade OH as necessary (snapshot, milestone, etc.)
    ii) If on the last release try to update to the latest zwave binding snapshot from here (see docs)
    iii) If that doesn’t work or if on old OH version follow the procedure here (OH3+) or here (OH2) to update your binding.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I’m on 4.2.0.M2, and my XML shows the correct devicetype 0x201. Still it’s not able to complete the include procedure, when i read about how to include in the link you provided, it times out. On the device it says Z-WAVE S2 and has a PIN code printed on it (Authenticated S2). Are that kind of Z-WAVE thing supported by the binding?

Is the device ID a match? As you are on 4.2M2 that should be the latest binding.

Switch the binding to debug and try. Not sure what you are doing here.

No. However, you should be able to include without security or with the binding S0 security. Again a debug of the inclusion could provide information.