Connecting Vorwerk Kobold VR200 to openHAB2

As far as I understand your code you don’t turn off SSL, but you switch off the verification of the certificate, right? That means password is send encrypted, but you can not verify the server identity, correct? That is of course a problem, but doesn’t sound as bad as “turn off SSL”.

I admit, I don’t understand much of SSL myself and have built this fork from some other open source implementations. If you’re into it, you can see my diff for yourself (link above as well).
As I understand it, the connection is still protected, but any SSL certificate would be accepted, making it potentially vulnerable.

Edit: updated release notes accordingly

…I see you’ve figured it out for yourself :slight_smile:

Works, thanks

First of all, thanks a lot the fork. Because of your work I was able to connect to my VR300. Unfortunatly, the robot won´t start cleaning. I get the error-message:

[ERROR] [ab.binding.neato.internal.NeatoRobot] - Unknown service for houseCleaning: basic-4. Will not start house cleaning!

Same here:
https://community.openhab.org/t/neato-botvac-binding/50406/28

Do you know wheather this problem has been or will be fixed? Or did I get something wrong?

Thanks a lot!

Hi @liveislife

I’m still having my good old VR200 and wasn’t even aware of cool new features :slight_smile:

I can’t really track it but the current master of Neato Binding binding seems to handle such issues.
There had been some major changes to this binding and whole OH project structure so I can’t test everything. I have but reapplied my earlier changes on the current binding version. It runs, it works with my VR200 so it should work with newer vacuums and support new features :slight_smile:

You can download new fork version here:

Changes here:

Feedback appreciated!
BR Pav

3 Likes

Man, that´s why I love openhab and this forum. You get answers within a blink of an eye. Thank you very much. Your fork works like a charm. Cleaning, back to base etc. all work fine. I will continue testing over the next days.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Glad to hear! All praise still goes to its original authors :slight_smile:
I don’t know why the vendor option is not supplied with the “official” binding, the authors are surely aware of this possibility or have already been asked and the change is rather small.

Hi there,

I just wanted to tell you, that you made my day!!!

I have the VR300 for over a year now and even though it did its job, I was disappointed that it is so dumb from an Home-Automation point of view. Playing around with OpenHAB for a week by now and due to your work I was able to connect the VR300 to my smart home within one day! Thank you sooo much for your work. I definitely owe you a beer.

Did you sent a merge request to the original creator? I really hope that you don’t stop the development if Vorwerk changes the API…

Best regards,
n00b

Hi @n00b and welcome to this community!
(hey, some message above told me to write it :grinning:)

Glad to have helped!

Actually it’s another way round: Vorwerk uses same API but an older gateway. My fork just redirects any request. So it’s not really development but a simple workaround, which I’ve put together myself from several other sources.
I don’t have much time for a larger contribution so I haven’t contacted the author. It’s a Neato binding after all and there may be some license issues I’m not aware of.
On the other hand, this thread is easy to find on Google and so I get some entertainment :slight_smile:

BR Pav

Hello,

I’m struggeling with the login. The new MyKobold-App does not create an account as I expected. You can enter an e-mail and Vorwerk sends you an One-Time-Code. You have to enter the code into the app instantly. So no password is created. How do I log in into the Binding?

(I’m using the VR300, btw)

Regards
Martin

Hi Martin!

First, you must have my fork installed (see links above). Original binding don’t support Vorwerk.
If it’s installed, you’ll need to create an Account Thing which needs credentials to autodiscover your vacuum.

If you can’t find out your password, check the Vorwerk website:
https://kobold.vorwerk.de/shop/customer/account/login/
Here you’re still asked for a password, so you should be able to get or recover one.

BR Pav

Done. Your binding is up and running:

265 │ Active │  80 │ 2.5.4.202003311836      │ openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: Neato Binding

I created an account on the Vorwerk-page. But I can’t add MY VR300. I just can add ANY VR300 to my account. I guess Vorwerk changed the behaviour. They also movedfrom “Kobold Roboter”-App to the new MyKobold-App.

After some researching I can’t find a password either. Vorwerk states, that “only” password-free API login is now possible. Strangely enough, my own credentials are still valid but I can’t login anywhere other but in the binding.

The link above was wrong, it was just a shop customer login, here you can find an old login page I’ve used before (but can’t login now as well).

Well I’m out of my depth now :frowning:
It looks like new users must now wait for the new authentication method to be implemented by Neato Binding first, then I can reapply my fork.

On the other hand, Neato site seems to use passwords further, so it could be Vorwerk’s deliberate move towards closed API for Europe. It’s somehow incomprehensible for me why such a large company group makes almost identical vacuums but keeps two different brands for USA and Europe with a completely different customer approach.

BR Pav

where can i get the newest Jar file of the neato binding with vorwerk support?

Just nine posts above (#39) :slight_smile:

@Pavion: Do you see any chance to get our vorwerk cleaner integrated into the neato binding after upgrading the version to 2.1.6? SSL certificates should be updated now. Maybe the whole authentification procedure is also updated?

Thank you and keep up the good work.

Is there something else new to 2.1.6 or the main branch? My good old VR200 still seems to work even after update. The whole OH project undergoes a huge migration from 2.5.x to 3.0 so I’d rather avoid working on the old branch anymore and re-fork again for 3.0.

It’s working just fine after the upgrade. No fixes necessary.
That’s a good decision to wait until 3.0. Maybe at some time there will be a possibility to merge Vorwerk into the neato app.

@Pavion:
Our VR200 are integrated now to the “mykobold” app. Do you see any chance to port it to the official app of neato? Or do we have to fork it again for OpenHab 3?

Thanks in advance!