Control RGB Strip WS2811, WS2812, WS2813

Dear Community,

I saw many subjects here about controlling RGB Strip WS2811, WS2812, WS2813 using ESP8266 or Arduino.

Can I control rgb strip using GPIO, without extra hardware such as ESP8266 or Arduino?

Yes

1 Like

About SMD5050 with 12v power:

Is this connection ok (using tip120 transistor). and there will no damage to raspberry pi?

Other than the Red/Green signal lines reversed on the strip, that looks OK. Just make sure not to reverse any connections (on the transistors or the DC plug), or you will let the magic smoke out :wink:

1 Like

Nice tutorial, I have a ws2812 working with the strandtest.py and I want to control that strip by the habpanel (hsv colorpicker). How can I modify the script to get it working? I see on ws2801 tutorial the correct script but I dont know how to “translate” to ws2812.

Sorry but im really new on the openhab world

Greetings everyone,

I want to get your viewpoints: when such this solutions available why someone go with other solutions (z-wave, dmx, dali, …)?

Hello dears,

About controlling rgb strip, I am trying it so I added items as Number but it doesn’t work unless I made items type Switch, so it can be only ON/OFF for R,G,B.

And when I checked the GPIO binding documentation, it is mentioned that the allowed item types are Switch and Control: https://www.openhab.org/addons/bindings/gpio1/#item-configuration

Did I miss something, or GPIO binding can be used for digital signal only?

I think the part your missing is the whole “bit-bashing” method of creating a data stream to signal the SPi chips.

Check out this SK6812 technical document, which shows how the data stream needs to be constructed.

Or one for a WS2812

Or this blog might help

Are you sure you don’t want to use an existing SPi controller and use the DMX binding?

1 Like