Controlling WiFi devices

I’ve been searching for months, but I’m having trouble finding any information.
I’m trying to figure out how to CONTROL WiFi devices. I have a several, such as a SmartPlug (Iris), RGBW bulbs by Fiet Electric, thermostats, and First Alert Smoke/CO2 detectors. I can see them in OpenHAB (using the Network binding), but I can’t do anything with them. Can I create controls (channels) in the network binding or do I have to find another binding that will let me interact with them?

(Edit…) For instance, right now, the only way I can control the Fiet SmartBulbs (I purchased a 2-pack at Costco) is through the Fiet Electric app on my phone. Not very convenient. At least with the Iris SmartPlug there is a button on the plug to turn it on/off.

Thanks…

Todd

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3b
    • Java Runtime Environment: which java platform is used and what version
    • openHAB version:2
  • Issue of the topic: See above
  • Please post configurations (if applicable): No applicable because I have no way to interact with devices
    • Items configuration related to the issue
    • Sitemap configuration related to the issue
    • Rules code related to the issue
    • Services configuration related to the issue
  • If logs where generated please post these here using code fences: Not applicable

You forgot the content of your post :grinning:

Please forgive the confusion. I tried to be as specific as possible at this time (I’m at work). What “content” did I forget?

Now that you’ve edited your post it’s there. Before there was only the template visible :grin:

Figures… :grinning:

The hurdles are - to find out what “language” (protocol) any Brand X device speaks, and then hope one of the great many OH bindings speaks it.

A cursory search for Feit WiFi bulb protocol that could be usable with one openHAB binding or another … turns up blank.
Others having similar troubles

Iris WiFi plug gave slim pickings too.
There are some clues for workarounds here, which ought to be apllicable with openHAB as well
I’ve linked to a post in the middle of the thread which explains why integrating WiFi devices is a pain with closed-book manufacturers

Tell us more about your First Alert Smoke/CO2 Not WiFi?

1 Like

Thank you so much for the informaiton. Now that I am at home, I can give you a bit more detailed information:

Feit Bulbs: BPA800/RGBW/AG/2 WiFi 228-18-36 FCCID: SYW-A19RGBWAGT1
(I hope that helps someone…)

IRIS WI-FI Smart Swotch: Model: WSP1PA-LW

First Aalert Combination Carbon Monoxide & Smoke Detector: Model: ZCombo
(ZWave - never mind… :wink:

so… as I’m understanding it, WiFi devices can’t be “controlled,” only detected and state shown? I ask so I know where to focus my time and energy.

Thanks again!!!

WiFi gizmos can be controlled quite happily … if you know the lingo they speak. There is no standard, manufacturers make up their own procedures.

For an example, Sonoff WiFi switches are widely used by openHABbers.

Some manufacturers share the secrets, so allowing enthusiasts to build appropriate interfaces for the like of openHAB or smartthings.

Some manufacturers don’t, but that need not be the end of it. Sometimes a techy type will be enthused enough to reverse engineer a device, effectively spying on the lingo so that it can be understood and reproduced.
That doesn’t always work out, it might be encrypted.

Your Feit bulbs seem to fall in the second category for now - nobody knows their lingo and no sufficiently skilled person has yet cracked them.
Feit appear uncooperative, but you could ask them. They’re not going to sell less bulbs if there was an openHAB capability?

The Iris switches appear to have the same hurdle. The posting I suggested includes a hacky workaround, using an Iris hub as an intermediary. I guess you don’t have one of those. Again, you can but ask.

zwave Smoke alarms are easily integrated into OH. In many cases, people add zwave controller hardware to their OH host, usually a USB dongle,and connect directly. But presumably you already have some box controlling them? Perhaps that can be used as an intermediary.

You’ll have to tell us more about ‘thermostats’ for opinions there.

I guess I’m mis-speaking a bit, here.

So far, I found that I can detect NETWORK devices with the Network binding, but it doesn’t create channels for me to control them. I probably need to find a binding that will allow me to do that.

I did see an option for the Feit bulbs using the Wiz Lighting binding, but the Wiz app on dell phones is necessary, and I couldn’t get that to work properly. I may contact Feit, as I’ve seen quite a few people wanting to use those bulbs with OH.

I originally had an Iris hub, but I didn’t like the continued communication with the cloud. I wanted to keep it local, which is why I went to OH on a RPi. I can access the switch using the phone app (same with the Feit bulbs), it’s just that using the phone is inconvenient. I would eventually like to add a “wall switch” that can control the bulbs as well, so I can turn them on/off when entering/exiting the room.

The smoke detectors are interesting. The devices recently became defined in the binding, so it added a few more channels. The down side is that the communication is inconsistent, so they aren’t always read properly. It’s gotten better, but could stand some improvement.

I have one thermostat, Radio Thermostat CT101, that is ZWave, but doesn’t seem to work quite right.
I also have a Honeywell (RTH8580WF) that’s WiFi. I originally got it because it worked with Iris, but now I want to use it with OH. I haven’t really looked into it heavily because it hasn’t been a priority. I can set it with my phone, but it’s not something i need to access a lot.

I originally got involve with all this over 15 years ago when I installed X10 switches in my house, mainly for security purposes. I bought A LOT of X10 stuff. I recently decided that I wanted to update it with more modern equipment. Unfortunately, the lack of standardization and cooperation is extremely frustrating. If I could get my OH system to work with the X10, that would help… but that’s another thread (coming).

At any rate, I appreciate all your help. I just think I dug myself into a hole starting with Iris. Hopefully it will all come together at some point. :slight_smile:

That’s correct. Network binding is about detecting devices on ethernet/WiFi. “Is it alive?” is the essential purpose. For example, you might detect a printer is available for use, but you couldn’t use the Network binding to print anything.

For this and the thermostat, I’d recommend opening a specific thread about your zwave. It’s a topic on its own. It’d be useful to know what OH / binding version you are using, and what controller.

Thanks, it’s nice to have the confirmation. Piece-by-piece I will get this figured out. I have been working on my own for over a year and finally decided to break down and ask… :wink:

I just sent a note off to Feit. If we get more people to do it, it might be a bit more persuasive. :slight_smile:

I just picked up a package of those bulbs from Costco, and got them working in openhab via Node-RED. I just did a quick write up on it over here: https://community.openhab.org/t/adding-support-for-feit-wifi-led-bulbs-from-costco
Hopefully it can help you out.

Hi Robert,

Here is what happened to me:

I haven’t been able to get it to work.

Thanks,

Todd

Hi Todd, did you ever get these bulbs to work with OpenHab?

Thanks,
Ed

Sorry for the long absence. No, I never did get them to work. I just use it with Alexa. I would prefer to get it to work, though. On another thread, someone came up with a way to reflash them, but I’m not sure if he was referring to the bulbs or only to smart plugs.

Todd

Check out the bottom of this thread. It shows the template list for the light bulbs.

Just as a follow up… I reflashed my bulbs with Tasmota. I have been playing with them off and on for awhile. They work to an extent, but I am still trying to figure out the commands, especially not that Openhab 3.1 is out. I’ve made some progress, but MQTT is a PITA. I got a lot of help here because the documentation was bad. At any rate, they are sort of working, but I’m still working on it. The reflash option is definitely the best way to go, at least for me.