Creating a UI APP for your Smart Home / openHab

It will be completely free! There will only be an option to donate and additional themes in the future maybe.

Here is my point. I am coming from full-stack web development currently learning App development and needed a project to start with. So here I am trying to create a UI Tool App. Its not the point that I dont want to cooperate and not that I dont want to contribute anything. Its not my goal to make as much money as possible out of this, just to make that clear.

I really understand what you are saying, specially font-end developers are mostly bad at cooperation but thats not why I started this project.

Currently a got my App working at Alpha. I am on my way to beta and as soon I got something to show and learned enough, maybe even released the app and got some more feedback, then I would say I am in a position where I could really offer something and maybe cooperate. Like ok, now I know what I am talking about, done that, been there. Hope you understand what I am trying to say here.

So I need a special UI for my home, so I need to finish my App anyway.

1 Like

The only way for a mobile device to have native performance og OH would be to run OH on that device. That is the definition of native performance. Otherwise there needs to be some mechanism to transfer data from the server to the device. A web interface is one such mechanism.

talking about native performance when it come to state based animation and actions inside the UI

1 Like

I understand some of your points and also see the need for a native App with a good UX and native OS support - but why not putting your much appreciated efforts in creating a native App in cooperation with the new UI of OH3?

I´m not a developer so maybe there are limitations that Im not aware of, porting elements of the current only web-based UI into a native App… but this would solve the issue that @Kai mentioned (and I definitely share that opinion as a long-time OH user) as well as your purpose to learn more in terms of app development.

But nevertheless, I appreciate your work for the community!

You might be interested in this OH3 issue.

I’ll thumb up the commends from Kai and Hilbrand.

We already have fully supported apps for openHAB on both Android and iOS. We already have too many UIs and while OH 3 helps, we still have too many IMHO. And if you do build a brand new, not officially part of the project UI, I suspect your user base and therefore overall impact to OH and the world at large will be greatly reduced.

And your building a brand new UI solves this how? If everyone who saw a problem with OH and instead of going off and building something on their own instead focused their attention on making those improvements to OH itself imagine how much better off OH overall would be.

But as was mentioned, cooperation is hard. And as a collaborative project, not everyone gets to have their own way. And so we all suffer.

5 Likes

Here Here totally agree.

Its like standards if their is 15 standards to follow then why don’t we make 1 global standard. Now there is 16 standards.

@MitchMcKean you have decided to make your own APP to learn which is the only way to learn. Just build something that’s excellent.

Once you have figured it all out see what is lacking in the OH3 app and add it in. It can be daunting task adding stuff when you are new to any group. Just know if you make a mistake around here others have you back. There is nothing that you can break that you and others can’t fix.

4 Likes

While this might be me on a soapbox…

I migrated with reluctance from OH1 to OH2 solely due to the UI mess (as I perceived it) at the time. One UI did half of this, the other another third, and not one did all, other than textual config, which seemingly got buggered up when using whatever UI. So I, for one, stayed away from all UIs.

I second the denominator (Creating a UI APP for your Smart Home / openHab), build your own, then you know what is involved, then you can collaborate. I am not a programmer, but write code in C/C++ … but wouldn’t be good with collaboration, as I do not have the proficiency to be of real help to others.

… off the soapbox :slight_smile:

One thing I can say, after that v1 to v2 UI experience, it will take me a while to adopt any UI …

2 Likes

This exactly! If it’s good (enough), people will use it and then the existing UIs can benefit from concepts and from code.

@MitchMcKean
My understanding is that you want to build an UI for displaying items and while we already have enough administrational UIs we lack UIs that display items nicely.
Please don’t get discuraged, just build something. Worst case is you learn something, best case is you make lots of people happy.

4 Likes

If I were to design a new UI for interacting with openHAB on mobile devices, I’d probably use “panels” as basic UI elements representing the controls and items to display, and place them in “cards”. In this context, it could be useful to have a fluid layout which allows rearranging the panels on a card, depending on available screen space.

Navigation between “cards” should be intuitive. For instance, swiping up could mean “up 1 level in the hierarchy” while swiping left/right could mean “switch to previous/next sibling card”.

Cards should be assigned weights to enable ordering them. An option to have a card carousel could be useful as well: when you reach the last “card” in a level, you could go to the 1st card in that level by swiping past that card. And the other way round, of course.

Ideally, you should also have a shortcut to quickly select a card on a card map.

One of the bigger problems with UIs is that there’s a lot of subjectivity and personal tastes involved and people will in general tend to feel more strongly when things don’t look or behave the way they want. This sometimes leads, when the person happens to have the necessary skills and will, to something new being built, often primarily tailored to their author’s own needs. Of course it’s also true in other areas (see HABApp) but from personal experience I found this to be particularly true for frontends. When you’re a hobbyist and not doing this on a payroll there’s also the fact that you may just want to spend your evenings building things as you like without getting involved in work environment-like debates, which perhaps might be what you want an escape from in the first place :slight_smile: - and that shouldn’t be discouraged either.

When I did HABPanel back in 2016 I ended up providing the tools to empower users to build their own widgets, rather than playing cat and mouse with feature requests, and it was somewhat successful and even was humbled by the ecosystem that was eventually created (see for example New Pride Theme for HabPanel (Based on Matrix Theme) - Optimized for iPhone or Matrix Theme for HABPanel - among others!). This proves there’s a need for these types of tools which allow people to be creative. I hope we can achieve the same with this new main web UI which tries to be as universal as possible, with a good-enough default look but customizable as well. Of course there will be expectations and they will be hopefully addressed as much as possible but the focus should be on providing support to build new designs, rather than minute details and changes to a mandated design.

Perhaps most important, I hope this upcoming major 3.0 release, with this fresh coat of paint, will make a lot of people take another look at openHAB - because a fraction of them will also become contributors and that would get the ecosystem going!

9 Likes

I would love to see a Wear OS implementation. Since wear os has tiles to things on/off

Is you are unable to develop it yourself you can post a bounty on bountysource to encourage a volunteer developer. All OH developers are volunteers doing this in their spare time.

This can be accomplished using Tasker and the AutoWear plugin. I got it set up but ended up not actually using it. I posted a tutorial at Tasker+AutoWear+openHAB Android App - Controlling OH from your watch.

Hi,
first of all thank you. You are spending time in this project.
By the way I understand the concerns of many people.
Actually (2.5) I will suggest to a new user to use:

• PaperUi for configuration (and textual editing of items and sitemap file) and for rules.
  • Habpanel to FrontEnd User Interface, web to configure it and OpenHab app to use it (android).

The problems arise when you want to control it from outside your wifi range.
On Ios devices habpanel is not present on the IOS app.
If you configure a webapp in the IOS home screen it will always prompt for user and password.
On mobile android devices is a little bit slow to come to the home screen (maybe you can use habpanel filter but not if you are a basic user).

To figure this info out, it took me several days.
I will not mention all other UI, panel viewer app etc.
I hope OH3 will solve it. So my suggestion is: look at OpenHab app and contribute to that app if you can.
Andrea

Thanks for advice. I will give it a try.
Do you know, why nobody wants to use the tiles option in wear os. Creating a tile with a few buttons on it to simple switch on and off lights or open and close rollershutters. The tiles you can create now in the openhab beta (android phone app) is the right move and very similar as use case for tiles in wear os.

No one has volunteered to implement it.

1 Like

standards

This conversation remind this,
I think the best way to help openhab is to contribute to the openhab repos, not re-design and recreate a new UI.

3 Likes

More likely, nobody wanted to endure a vile flame war like this.

1 Like

@MitchMcKean

I too didn’t like the web UI’s due to lack of local integration (camera, barcode scanner, google voice to text, floormaps, screensavers etc) and while I used Rotini, I moved on when it became a paid app. I did however take the best from it, and made a really, really bad version for my own use. I have cheapy 7" Fire tablets in each room running it. If nothing is configured, it will use the MAC address of the Fire as the sitemap, and “just work” at start-up. The kitchen sitemap has barcode scanner to add items to my grocery list (Back-end PowerShell script interfacing with Microsofts ToDo app / list).

Feel free to clone it, and/or submit PR’s, refactor or anything else that helps you get started, https://github.com/johnjore/kala

PS: Not a developer, it’s really, really poorly made, but it, mostly, works and is free :slight_smile: