Customising z-wave device channels

There should be a Scene Number channel (I’m using a different scene controller for demonstration purposes):

Corresponding Z-Wave database item:

Problem:
No COMMAND_CLASS_CENTRAL_SCENE for 016G0160 in the Z-Wave database:

But the manual claims support for COMMAND_CLASS_CENTRAL_SCENE:

Please check if the XML file for your device in /var/lib/openhab/zwave contains COMMAND_CLASS_CENTRAL_SCENE:

grafik

If it does, your XML file should be uploaded to the Z-Wave database - if not, the COMMAND_CLASS_CENTRAL_SCENE must be added to the Endpoints tab. Either way, @chris’ help would be needed. Please post your results.

It now makes sense to me how it should work, and why it doesn’t :slight_smile:

This is all I see in the channels:

I’m running OH3.3 on windows so my xml was in a different location (openhab-3.3.0\userdata\zwave\network_ebfa9061__node_26.xml), but it does seem to be have the scene:

So I guess my xml will need uploading to the database

One thing to check is the device TYPE:ID pair for your devices compared to the current DB entry. Looking at the manual in the current entry the Central Scene command class should have been uploaded when the person that created the device uploaded the XML. If your device has the same numbers possibly @chris (or someone with a higher level of DB write access than I) can add that command class to the existing entry. If you have a different TYPE:ID pair you can just do the XML upload to create a new device. There can’t be two devices with the same TYPE:ID pair from the same manufacturer without getting down to a “version” level. Currently the DB device is setup for all versions

Birth certificate of the device (Z-Wave database):

Workaround (I don’t know if it still applies to a current version of OH/Z-Wave binding):

I haven’t yet done anything with the text based configuration, and I got errors when trying to define the ‘item’ for the workaround, probably cos I didn’t fully understand the ‘81:command=central_scene’ bit, I assume the 81 had to be replaced with the uuid for my device.

Either way it seems a real botch, is there some reason why the database wasn’t updated so that it appears as a channel?

I’m not the developer, but I see that command class in the binding now. The links above were from 2016 so a lot has changed.

Sorry, just to be clear, the workaround seemed like a botch, and if possible I’d prefer to fix it so that it can be done from the UI, unless there is a major obstacle :slight_smile:
I’m just not clear how to move it forward…

1 Like

What is the TYPE:ID of your device?

manufacturerId = 0002

manufacturerRef = 0003:8010,8003:8001

Ok. So those are the same as in the existing DB. There are two options going forward

1. We can ask/wait for @chris to add the Central_Scene CC to the existing DB entry for this device. (From the linked posting from 2016 I’m thinking it was manually deleted because it did exist in the binding at that time). AFAIK only Chris can add CCs (or delete anything) to/from the DB. Also, I’m inferring based on his normal Forum/DB activity that he is very busy with his real paying job. Possibly adding this request to the zwave github might also help on this option.
  2. If you haven’t already you can register for the DB and request, write access from Chris via a ticket as described in the blog. Then edit the Type:ID in the existing DB item to random numbers & upload your XML like a new device. Copy all the parameters, associations, references, etc. from the existing entry to your new one and when finished mark “Request review”, but leave the old one as “modified, no review request”. It will be dropped from the next update and the new one will appear. This is more work, but could be quicker than waiting

PS- I needed to ensure your devices were the same before suggesting the options

Just to be clear, this is the database reference - not necessarily for your device.

Anyway, I’ve added CENTRAL_SCENE to this device - hopefully it’s the one you have :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For clarity (re: above comment) your specific device TYPE:ID are on separate lines under the properties tab (and to make matter more confusing) need to be converted to Hex. Example:
Deviceid

You will still DB write access to create a channel under the newly created CC, but that is a lot easier.

1 Like

Thanks for making the update Chris, I double checked the details and I have:
zwave_deviceid = 32784 (0x8010)
zwave_devicetype = 3
so I think the device does match!.
Searching the previous posts it look as though I have to delete the ‘thing’ for the device and uninstall the zwave binding and reinstall the new one that Jenkins builds (looks like next one will be 29/11), can someone confirm this is the right thing to do? Thanks

Yes.
General outline

1. Remove UI Zwave binding - Don’t want two running
  2. In karaf feature:install openhab-transport-serial - Needed in most systems, normally installed by UI
  3. Download and place jar in addons (same folder as the openhab-addons-3.3.0.kar)
  4. wait 30 seconds
  5. Delete Thing from the device UI page (do not exclude device from controller page)
  6. Go to inbox zwave scan to pick up new channels

Assuming you are on OH3.3 there should be no problem

Alternative:

grafik

Continue at step 5. from the previous post.

1 Like

Thanks, for both replies, the bundle:update is a nice neat way of doing it.

As soon as a new jenkins build is available I’ll try it out.

OK, So I finally got around to doing this the other day, but it didn’t make any difference.
Going back over it and trying again I notice the bundle seems to have the same version number before and after, where as Jenkins shows 3.4.0-snapshot, so on the face of it the bundle update seems to have failed, unless I’m misunderstaning…

I’m not a super expert on this method, but you need to add the ‘location’. Go to the Jenkins site and right click to copy the path. Then use that. Or something like that.

I had wondered if that was the issue, but was nervous to mess with it in case I broke something big time.
It does indeed seem to need the url of the jar file that Jenkins has produced as you suggested, and its now updated to the correct version…even better still I now see a scene appear in the ‘thing’ for the thermostat :slight_smile:

I’m guessing behind the scenes it’s doing something similar to a wget and the default location its using to retieve the file is still at 3.3.0.

Just to make it clear for anyone else who wants to do this, here’s the screenshot:

and the url is obtained from the link to the artifact here:

Many thanks for the help

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.