Devolo MT 2650 does not receive setpoint

Hi Stefan,

The LC-13 looks very similar but I hope for a better software. I ordered some device.

The distance between the controller and the device is around 5m in the same room.
And there is a powered switch as repeater nearby.
The E5 occurs always. I assume because of the missing parameter “Target for wakeup and override notifications”. But due to the fact that I do not have any good documentation from Devolo I only have to guess.

Yes, when I remove the battery I can send a set-point. But it lasts not long and the E5 comes back again.

Thanks
Jürgen

Well, this could also be a problem. Chris (the bindind developer) has mentioned anywhere, that during initialization, the device should not send data through a repeater (because it’s not working). After the device was fully initialized, the repeater can be used. But for 5m distance in the same room a repeater shouldn’t be necessary anyway…

So you should deactivate your repeater first (if possible) and include the device one more time.

I don’t think so. As already mentioned, I haven’t set this parameter with my Danfoss devices. And they are working nevertheless.

Yes, that’s right. Devolo doesn’t help with really useful documentation. But that’s ok if the customer only uses the Devolo system. They want to keep it simple.

It’s nearly the same. :wink: It is the Danfoss device, only re-branded by Devolo. And - as you said - added with one (maybe useful) feature: Report of the current temperature.

I also tested the Devolo system and the range was quite poor. I don’t know if this was related to the controller or to the thermostat. I couldn’t get a stable connection even in the same room. So maybe it’s also a range problem of your Devolo thermostat. Let’s see if it’s working better with the Danfoss device.

It’s not that you must deactivate the repeater, but the issue is that some of the initialisation commands are not routeable as they are sent as broadcasts and a repeater will not repeat broadcast messages. So, you don’t need to deactivate the repeater - just to make sure that the controller is able to directly hear messages from the device.

I have an LC13 at home that I’ve not really tested. The E5 I believe is meant to indicate that the device hasn’t communicated with the controller, but I don’t know what command it actually uses to decide this as I’ve been able to poll the device, and I’ve still seen the E5 error so there might be a specific command.

I might try and contact the supplier, but I suspect they are all made by an OEM so it might not be so simple!

Hi Chris, Hi Stefan,

I installed a Danfoss LC-13 device.
First, the documentation is much better and the inclusion was done quickly. ( Now I know how it works. :wink: )
But I get the same E5 communication error after a while. The wake up time grows to 30 minutes and it does not get the set points.

Now I removed the switch near by the Danfoss device to avoid the problem you described. Do I need a new initialization?

I still assume, that the Danfoss device does not know where to talk to and therefore it signals a communication error.
I cannot set the “Target for Wakeup and override Notifications”. This is not correct. I can set it for other devices.
And it points directly to the problem. The Danfoss device do not know where to send a message in the network.

Can we elaborate that?

May this helps:
log file shows for this node only these messages:
2017-01-08 08:23:39.926 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:device:40654f0b:node5’ changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Node is not communicating with controller
2017-01-08 08:38:53.316 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:device:40654f0b:node5’ changed from OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Node is not communicating with controller to ONLINE
2017-01-08 08:53:39.932 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:device:40654f0b:node5’ changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Node is not communicating with controller
2017-01-08 09:08:56.933 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:device:40654f0b:node5’ changed from OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Node is not communicating with controller to ONLINE
2017-01-08 09:23:39.934 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:device:40654f0b:node5’ changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Node is not communicating with controller

Same here, but the device works without any problems …

For me the device started working as stated in my post above:

Just set the wakeup period, wake it up several times and you should be good to go …

What do you mean? The target node is not something that is exposed in the UI for any devices - is that what you mean? The target will (or should!) always be set to the controller if you have the “Master Controller” option set.

Do you receive any wakeup notifications from the device in the debug log?

I just checked the code - while there is an option to set the wakeup node, it’s not used and the node will always be set to the controller when you change the interval, or automatically during initialisation.

Hi Chris,
with the LC-13 I now have a real good documentation.
I send you a scan of the docu.
Here we can see the technical requirements:
“After a successful inclusion the controller must send a WAKE_UP_INTERVAL_SET command to the device in order to where and when the device should communicate wireless. If not, the thermostat cannot perform wake ups and the alarm and antenna symbol will flash.” This is the case for both my thermostats ( Devolo MT 2650 and Danfoss LC13).
Under troubleshooting we can find
"E5 : The thermostat is not receiving the expected replies from the control system. Check that you have a Z-Wave certified controller running … (see technical requirements )

This is exactly the current behavior. And the device will not send the notifications to the default controller. It must be set.

I never saw a message to the device. Can you please check the code. Can you tell me how to support. ( Where can I see more communication details?)

LC-13 docu.pdf (710.3 KB)

The controller already sets up the wakeup interval and the target during intialisation. It works for every device I have and I’d be very surprised if it doesn’t work here. Again, you can do this manually if you want - just set the wakeup time.

Can you post the XML for this device please?

One other point - on my LC13 the wakeup was set ok as well during initialisation, but let’s take a look at your XML if you can post it…

OK, Thanks.
I try to send a wakeup notification message again
maybe that was the missing message.

So I set the Wake Up Interval at HABMIN and at Paper UI and I see that the "The Thing has been updated"
Now it receives a set point.
I will monitor it again.

Thanks so far.

Ok - good… Maybe the message somehow got lost during the initialisation - hopefully it’s all ok now :slight_smile: .

Hi Chris,

same situation ( Error E5)
I excluded the device node 5 and included it new as node 6. The initialization was not done correctly.
The switch ( can work as a repeater ) is deinstalled, so this cannot be the problem.
I sent the Wakeup interval explicitly to the device.

After a new initialization I get one additional parameter. plus wakeup Node

The Devolo and the LC-13 has the same problem. After a while it does not send messages to the controller and increases the wakeup interval to 30 minutes.
So I cannot send any set point for these devices. ( This is the only function I need )

–> see temp history.
16:00 a rule sets the target temperature to 23 degrees.
About 20 minutes later the thermostat wakes up and send a message. ( My set point is 16 degrees)
That is not want I want.

Watt can we do to get a send the expected information to the device during initialization?
How can I monitor the messages the controller send to the device?

I Very close to give up. Sorry.

All,

the problem exists also for other systems.
FHEM needs to use a work around

Sorry it’s german.

This was discussed already 2 years ago in a Google group.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/openhab/zCaCbRwaXEU/xVfH_K_73GMJ

But I do not know how to send this command to the LC-13
"define Atdanfoss at +*00:30 get battery"
@chris can you tell me how we can implement this workaround?
If this is still the situation in FHEM then we will live with it .

Thanks

To change the polling period, there is a configuration setting in the thing configuration. It defaults to 30 minutes, so it should already do what you want. Of course, the device wakeup period must also be set to a lower number otherwise it can’t send…

@chris: Is there any possibility to set up the wake up interval within rules?
I would like to set up the interval for my Danfoss to 300s during winter times, and to 30mn during summer times to save batteries.
could it be done?

Thanks

Sorry - this is not possible. Wakeup can only be changed via the UI.

Is there any progress?
I am able to receive temperature and sync the setpoint when manual wake up the Devolo. But the device do not wake up when sleeping. I am getting the E5 error after a while.(maybe half an hour). I tried to set the wake up time manually with no effect.
Anybody has this device fully working?
I have just one z wave device (this MT2650(and the z wave usb dongle)). Could be a non sleeping zwave device for routing a solution?

Maybe this is related: