HomeHabit Dashboard - Original thread

I am definitely interested.

This has an incredibly high WAF potential! I’d seriously like to try this on one of my wallmount tablets as an alternative to (the rather sluggish) Firefox/CometVisu setup. Any chance you could share the APK here?

1 Like

Any examples how to config your UI?

@maze here is an example as a general idea, since it is still fluid.
How it maps to UI:

• Sitemaps are in the drawer
  • Sitemap pages (text blocks) are tabs, with labels and some configs like number of columns (if not specified it adjust to the screen size)
  • Frames are UI widgets with items inside used as values/parameters

As you can see, all configs passed as part of {} blocks in the label.
Most widget only need one item, like lights switch, but complex widgets (pre-defined in the client) can accept multiple items, like weather widget below.

sitemap home label="Home"
{ 
  Text label="Home {columns:3}" {
    Frame label="{widget:clock,size:3x1}"

Frame label="House {widget:text}" {
      Text item=Mode label="[MAP(mode.map):%s]"
    }
  }  

Text label="Test" {
    Frame label="Outside {widget:temperature}" {
      Text item=Weather_Home_Temperature
    }

Frame label="Bathroom {widget:temperature}" {
      Text item=Sensor_Temperature_Bathroom
    }

Frame label="Bedroom Motion {widget:battery}" {
      Text item=Battery_Motion_Bedroom
    }

Frame label="Front Door {widget:lock}" {
      Switch item=Lights_Bedroom
    }

Frame label="Outside {widget:weather-current,size:3x1}" {
      Text item=Weather_Home_Condition label="{item:condition}"
      Text item=Weather_Home_Temperature label="{item:temperature}"
      Text item=Weather_Home_Temperature label="{item:temperature-high}"
      Text item=Weather_Home_Temperature label="{item:temperature-low}"
    }
  }

@pelnet since it started as a project for personal use there are some hardcoded/unfinished/broken things here and there at this time. I do see that there is an interest here, so I will be making an alpha release soon.
I will post updates on that in this thread.

It would be nice if you publish the source on gihub, I would be glad to help you finish it cause it really looks great for dashboard. Another idea is that we could merge you work into existing Android app and give users selection of the UI between existing and yours view?

4 Likes

Awesome! I do however also agree with Victor - if you would share the source, I’m sure it would speed up the project and allow more streamlined community based development (feature branches, etc).

I’m not an Android dev myself, but I did at one point start on a standalone client for OpenHAB, however I abandoned the idea due to time constraints.

1 Like

I also fully agree with @belovictor - instead of creating a separate app, it would be much nicer to have the dashboard view as a new option in the existing app. This will make it much simpler for anybody else to contribute and I am also sure that a lot of code can be shared - e.g. regarding integration with GCM, my.openHAB, discovery & configuration etc.

1 Like

@belovictor @Kai this app cannot be just a view since it requires separate sitemaps to support complex widgets (weather, thermostat, etc.) The app should have UI that covers whatever existing app was doing, so I don’t see the benefit of having two separate views for a user that wants to use this view.

Well, you are also likely to use different sitemaps on different devices (phone, tablet, kids), but still use the same app on all of them. I think it is ok if certain sitemaps only work well for a specific view.

Or do you mean that “special sitemaps” are actually syntactically different, i.e. you have changed the DSL for the sitemap itself? If this is the case, you might rather want to wait for the “new sitemaps” and join the discussion at https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1064113/.

No, syntactically sitemaps are the same, e.g. they still work in existing web/mobile UI just wouldn’t make much sense because of additional config text and frame organization (I posted an example earlier in this thread).

In terms of openHAB 2, I decided not to wait since its release is some time away and I didn’t want to switch my main system to it, so that would be tackled when the time comes.

I will check out that discussion, thanks for the link.

Ok, then I really see no reason why it should not be combined into a single app. This will also make things easier when adding openHAB 2 support one day - all underlying communication infrastructure can be shared.

1 Like

Very nice view and very much interested

Looks very nice! Good job so far :slight_smile: Looking forward to test the client as soon as it’s available.

Would be awesome if you and belovictor could cooperate in any way possible.

This is currently my Wall-Mounted Surface. It does not depend on openHAB Sitemaps.
Of course still in progress…

2 Likes

Pretty cool looking, how about images from webcams? And are they refreshing properly? That is the biggest problem I have with the openhab app.

@Mikey what is your current config to show webcam in the app? Just regular image item?

Yes, it is just a image, defined like this

Image url="http://192.168.1.144/snapshot.cgi?user=usr&pwd=pss" refresh=500
1 Like

@igor Any example of switches and dimmer widgets?