I have been lurking around this community/forum for a while, and using openHAB for almost a year.
My primary usage is through mobile either my phone or tablet that is sitting in the living room.
As some of you here, I have not been entirely pleased with UI design and UX of current Android client.
In addition, I wanted:
- more flexibility for voice commands (different for each device)
- UI widgets that are specific to common home automation use cases such as thermostat
- responsive interface for tablets (wall mounted screen use case)
- some kind of theming (if you put something on your wall, you would want it to have the colors you like)
- Android Wear integration (maybe even Android TV)
So, I decided to build my own mobile client to satisfy those criteria.
The project currently is in the early stages, although I do use myself for most of my home automation.
Client uses openHAB Rest API, but requires separate sitemap to allow all customizations for new widgets (I will post details on this later).
UI layout, text, icons are almost fully controlled by sitemap config, so it would be customizable for different needs.
Currently it is targeted for openHAB 1.x only. Mainly because openHAB 2 is in alpha and about a year away and I wanted to use something right now.
By posting here, I want to see what is the interest from other users, to make a decision if it is worth releasing it publicly.
If you are interested, please respond.