Distributing bindings through the IoT Marketplace

That helped, thanks!

I can now see the binding in the xml after changing the license to EPL. Should help @pfink as well since his binding had Other as license.

Just to clarify, is only EPL shown in the openhab? I cannot use EPL for the whole modbus transport project as it contains code from both Apache 2.0 project (forked jamod modbus library) as well as the “API glue” which is EPL.

Any open source license should do, so no problem at all with Apache 2.0, not even GPL is an issue for listings.

Ah, very good! I switched to “Other Open Source” because my project contains mixed OSS-licensed software meanwhile (as some parts were FOSSed by Shortcut Labs). But: I thought one of the reasons for the marketplace was to make it easier for projects that can maybe not be FOSSed so easily?!

Yes, but the detailed answer is here: Marketplace Client Content Inclusion Policy | Eclipse Plugins, Bundles and Products - Eclipse Marketplace | Eclipse Foundation

Solutions listed in the MPC Wizard will only be those that are 1) licensed under an open source license or 2) associated with an Eclipse Foundation member company

Yeah, but we don’t want to display it within MPC Wizard, do we? We want to display it within openHAB. So they do not provide any alternative webservice url that contains everything (or at least “Free” solutions)?

1 Like

Sorry to open this up again but I think I’m still missing something. I changed the license finally to “Other Open Source” and “EPL” with modbus-transport and modbus-binding, respectively.

However, I cannot see anything related to modbus in the XML “catalogue”. What could be the issue?

Any help with this one? Is this marketplace open source, can I file a bug or…?

There it’s a support email address somewhere on the marketplace pages. When I reported something they were responding fast & adequately

1 Like

How do you auto-reload market add-ons? everytime up apt update the zwave market add-on is removed and I have to manually re-add it

market:binding-3338717 - 1.0

Any news to support karaf features?

So much for the marketplace… It seems there is a cap of maximum 25 results by the api call (See this bug report https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=520985) And since there are more then 25 bindings the Market place is doesn’t show any newly added bindings…Which explains why I didn’t see my entries show up… (I had e-mailed to the marketplace but got no response yet)

If this is beyond the openHAB community to change and won’t change in the near future my advise is to shut down the marketplace integration because it only leads to frustrated developers who go through all the hoops to add their bindings only to find out they don’t show up in openHAB.

Thanks for this link, I was looking for it. I’ll follow up on that with the Eclipse guys, we should find some solution for it.

@p0lar
add “market” (without quotes) to your addons config file under MISC and binding-3338717 to the list of bindings.

1 Like

The limit has been increased to 100, so you should again see all marketplace entries in openHAB.
The “final” solution will have to be to build a paging mechanism first in the marketplace, then in the openHAB client to it - but for now, we should be all fine.

1 Like

Looking at the current entries, I see that many of the recent additions seem to have missed the recommendations for submissions, so please let me repeat them here:

• Let’s add “Binding” to the label (as we will have other add-on type in future there as well)
  • As it is the Eclipse SmartHome marketplace, do not specifically say “for openHAB 2” - it should in general be compatible with any ESH-based solution.
  • Let’s try to have logos for the listings, so that the appearance is nicer when browsing them

It would be nice if the existing ones would be updated accordingly by their authors - thanks!

2 Likes

I just tried to add a new binding in the marketplace. But I can’t find anywhere my contribution. Is it normal that I can’t find it anywhere until it is approved ? Or does it mean that my action was finally not taken into account at all ?
Is there anywhere I can find all my contributions to the marketplace ?

I would have expected to see my listings under https://marketplace.eclipse.org/user/kkreuzer/listings, but I actuallly don’t, I am not sure why not. But as I am subscribed to them, I can find them on https://marketplace.eclipse.org/user/kkreuzer/subscriptions/node - please check if the same works for your account.

Can somebody tell why I can’t see Z-Wave binding on the list in Paper UI? Is it a problem with my installation, this specific marketplace item or maybe with the marketplace add-on?

Did you check this post to enable Alpha addons in Paper UI?

Best,
Sami

1 Like

Thanks, worked. For some reason I was sure the binding is marked as Beta.