DSMR bridge stuck at UNKNOW ser2net

Hi all,

I am trying to link my smart meter into openhab. It is a Landis + gyr E360 SMR 5.0. So it should work with the DSMR binding. Unfortunately, my smart meter is too far away from my raspberry pi. To solve this I am trying to use ser2net on a rapsberry zero w I had gathering dust. However, my DSMR bridge remains at UNKNOWN.

I used the following set up:

ser2net
On the raspberry zero I start ser2net using:

ser2net -l -C "3333:telnet:0:/dev/ttyUSB0:115200 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT remctl"

These settings are reported working here:

I also tried

ser2net -l -C "3333:raw:0:/dev/ttyUSB0:115200 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT"

Reported working here:

I can verify that ser2net is working by starting telnet on my raspberry pi (openhab)
telnet 10.0.0.9 3333

I then see the data coming in. Output shows

Trying 10.0.0.9...
Connected to 10.0.0.9.
Escape character is '^]'.
MmmYYYY
-yY-{y-M-yM
1-0:32.32.0(08014)
1-0:52.32.0▒00013)
1-0:72.32.0(00014)
1-0:32.36.0(00000)
1-0:52.36.0(00000)
1-0:72.36.0(00000)
0-0:96.13.0()
1-4:32.7.0(229.3*V)
1-0:52.7.0("25.0*V)
1-0:72.7.0(229.0*V)
1-0:31.7.0(000*A)
1-0:51.7.0(002*A)
1-0:7̗7.0(000*A)
1-0:21.7.▒(00.006*kW)
1-0:41.7.0(00.585*▒W)
1-0:61.7.0(00.001*kW)
1-0:22.7.0(00.000*kW)
1-0;42.7.0(00.000*kW)
1-0:62.7.0(0 .000*kW)
0-1:24.1.0(003)
0-1:96.1.0(4730303831303034303532343035;33230)
0-1:24.2.1(220103215958W)(00665.587*m3)
!D9▒F
/XMX5LGF0010456347258

1-3:0.2.8(50)
0-▒:1.0.0(224103220239W)▒
                         ▒-0:96.1.1(4530303637303035363334373235383230)
1-0:1.8.1(000440.448*kWh)
1-0:1.8.2(000848.250*kWh)
1-0:2.8.1(000000.000*kWh)
1-0:2.8.2h000000.000*kWh)
0-0:96.14.0(0002)
1-0:1.7.0(00.5=6*kW)
1-0:2.7.0(00.000*kW)
0-0:96.7.21(00007-
0-0:96.7.9(00003)
1-0:99.97.0(1)(0-0:96.7.19)(000101000000W)(0000012196*s)
1-0:32.32.0(00014)
1-0:52▒32.0(00013)
1-0:72.32.0(00014)
1-0:32.36.0(00000)M
                   1-0:52.36.0(80000)
1-▒:72.36.0(00000)
0-0:96.13.0()
1-0:32.7.0(229.0*V)
1-0:52.7.0(225.3*V)
1-0:72.7.0(228▒9*v)
1-0:31.7.0(000*A)
1-0:51.7.0(002*A)
▒1-0:21.7.0(00.006*kW)
1-0:41.7.0(00.590*kW)
1-0:61.7.0(00.000*kW)
1-0:22*7.0(00&000*kW)
1-0:42.7.0(00.000*kW)
1-0:62.7.0(00.000*kW)
0-1:24.1.0(003)
0-1:96.1.0(4730303831303834301532343035333230)
0-1:24.2.1(220▒03215958W)(00665.587*m3)
!AB0D
/XMX5LGF0010456347258

I then create a SMR bridge with serial port
rfc2217://10.0.0.9:3333

In my logs I then see:


2022-01-03 22:06:00.910 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'dsmr:dsmrBridge:5030fd866f' changed from UNINITIALIZED to INITIALIZING
2022-01-03 22:06:00.920 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'dsmr:dsmrBridge:5030fd866f' changed from INITIALIZING to UNKNOWN

If I stop ser2net, is can see the bridge failing to connect, so my idea is that the ser2net setup is kinda working, but I guess I did something wrong somewhere.

Does anybody have an idea what I should be doing?

It looks like the data isn’t parsed or recognized. That is also the reason it stays in state unknown. Can you set the logging level to trace for the binding to see if this gives some more insights.

Hi thanks,

Attached it the log. I tried reading it, but I am afraid I have no idea what is going wrong. Attachted are the first parts of the logs. If you need the others, please let me know.

dsmr.log0.txt (1024.0 KB)
dsmr.log01.txt (1024.0 KB)
dsmr.log02.txt (1024.0 KB)
dsmr.log03.txt (1023.9 KB)

Let me know if I can run more tests.

Thanks,

Mark

In the log it is clear why you don’t get any results. The data itself is not correct all the time. This is actually also visible in the data you showed in your first post. You see some artifacts in the data. While the in general data does look ok this will prevent the data from correctly being parsed. I don’t know why this happens. Just guessing it could be a bad cable, or the data can’t being read fast enough from the meter by ser2net and it misses some bits. Looking at the log it seems to not buffer any data either, which might be a cause it misses bits as it’s very busy sending all data all the time. You could have a second look at either the cable or see if ser2net has some option to buffer data.

Thanks, that helped rule out lots of potential errors. Working from your observation that there might be something wrong with the cable I googled “P1 and Landis Gyr E360”. What I found was multiple reports of people having trouble receiving the information form this smart meter, e.g.

SOLVED: P1 meter: Dismiss incoming - value is not delimited in line - Page 2 - Domoticz

I have also found some webshops advertising a special E360 P1 cable. Not posting the links here as I am sure that is against forum rules. Wondering if the special cable would sove the problem.

I have ordered the special cable for the E360. The smart meter thing came online right away. In other words, @hilbrand was right. For somebody reading this. There are several complaints about the E360 and at least for me buying a dedicated cable helps.

1 Like