Openhab 3.2.0 Release Build stops running every day

No, you are correct. But by default it will save everyChange in addition to every minute. If you specify an entry for that Item, it overrides the default. But you tried to use every5minutes which renders the saved data unusable. You need to try everyMinute.

It doesn’t support mqtt indeed, although might be interesting to add. Only would mean to lock into some specific format the data is transfered in.

Looking at the espthing it seems the node mode sends raw data over telnet. The binding supports reading serial data over the netwerk (ser2net). In that case the connection must be configured as rfc2217://<ip>:<port>. It might be this node mode might work with the DSMR binding. But it’s a guess.

@Hilbrand,
I think it is possible to send you a copy of the output of the ESPthing. I flashed it with the latest tasmota standard version. So if you would receive a copy out the output, please let me know. It is really straight forward. The standard DSMR code with a value.

@Hilbrand,
Can help me with the config of ser2net. I have installed this, but it is not clear to me how to config this software and how to config the binding in OH.

@Rich,
I have followed your suggestion. I have made a rrd4j.persist file with a strategy every1Minute for several items. It is running now for a couple of hours. May be tomorrow I will see if this is the solution.
Keep you informed.

I’m not expert on ser2net. But there is another topic that seems to contain all relevant information: DSMR bridge stuck at UNKNOW ser2net

Thanks for the info. Gives a lot of information, but unfortunate not over the settings in tasmota.

It seems, that TCP_BRIDGE needs to be part of the tasmota package. This is not a standard in the pre build tasmota packages. As I’m also not an expert on tasmota, this is for me a problem. It would be great if the binding dsmr bridge would be extended, in a way, that this problem would be covered in that binding. I’m available for testing.

Rich, Thanks for the help so far.
I have updated the rrd4j.persist as follows:

// persistence strategies have a name and definition and are referred to in the "Items" section
Strategies {
        everyHour : "0 0 * * * ?"
        everyDay : "0 0 0 * * ?"
        every1Minute : "0 1 0 * * ?"
        every5Minutes : "0 5 0 * * ?"
        every15Minutes : "0 15 0 * * ?"
        // default = everyChange

// if no strategy is specified for an Item entry below, the default list will be used
        //---default = everyChange
        }

/*
 * Each line in this section defines for which Item(s) which strategy(ies) should be applied.
 * You can list single items, use "*" for all items or "groupitem*" for all members of a group
 * Item (excl. the group Item itself).
 */
Items {
        // persist the Item state of Heating_Mode and Notifications_Active on every change and restore them from the db>
        // Heating_Mode, Notifications_Active: strategy = everyChange, restoreOnStartup, GenericMQTTThing 
        //--- P1_T2, P1_T1, P2_T2, P2_T1, P1_GAS: strategy = every5Minutes, restoreOnStartup
        P1*, L* : strategy = everyChange, every1Minute, restoreOnStartup
        //additionally, persist all temperature and weather values every hour
        //Temperature*, Weather* : strategy = everyHour

}

I have also setup the log level for persistence to DEBUG with *log:set DEBUG org.openhab.persistence.rrd4j* 

With the persistence file loaded no data is written to rrd files for the items mentioned in de .persist file. The log file openhab.log says that thet rrd4j.persist is loaded, without mentioning any error. So also no analyze is possible. If I don’t use the persist file, I can see that the data is written to the rrd files for the items mentioned. So for me is now the question:
What did I do wrong?
OR
Is something wrong with the System?

Any ideas about this?

There are no Items mentioned your persist file. Thre are two Groups mentioned, named “P1” and “L”, and only members of those groups will be persisted.

Two things you may have misunderstood -
Use of “*” in persist file - it is not a wildcard.
Having a persist file existing kills all default strategies for all other Items - it is instead of, not as well as default strategy.

I have another system running openhab3. They are complete identical. Only I’ve removed the Smart meter readings and all other sensors/items using MQTT. Also this systems stop running every day. I’ve used clean-cache and restarted the linux system and of course openhab3. I’ve stopped Mosquitto from running. Below part of the log file. The things, items, rules, scripts are from the backup of the described in the first part above.
The logfile from the system mentioned in this part.

2022-03-15 01:52:00.892 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_Current_Cloudiness.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_Current_Cloudiness.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.894 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_ForecastHours06_Visibility.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_ForecastHours06_Visibility.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.895 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/SolarEdge_Aggregate_Day_Production.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/SolarEdge_Aggregate_Day_Production.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.895 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Woonkamerdressoir_Status.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Woonkamerdressoir_Status.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.896 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Eetkamerstaandelamp_Status.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Eetkamerstaandelamp_Status.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.897 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_Current_Visibility.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_Current_Visibility.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.897 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_ForecastHours06_Cloudiness.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_ForecastHours06_Cloudiness.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.898 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/SolarEdge_Live_Production.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/SolarEdge_Live_Production.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.899 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_Current_Rain.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_Current_Rain.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.899 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_ForecastHours06_Rain.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_ForecastHours06_Rain.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.900 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/LokaleUVIndex_UVIndex.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/LokaleUVIndex_UVIndex.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.901 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_ForecastHours06_Precipprobability.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_ForecastHours06_Precipprobability.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.901 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Woonkamerstaandelamplinsvoor_Status.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Woonkamerstaandelamplinsvoor_Status.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.902 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_Current_Humidity.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_Current_Humidity.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.902 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Woonkamerstaandelamprechtsvoor_Status.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Woonkamerstaandelamprechtsvoor_Status.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.902 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Dummy_On_Hold.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Dummy_On_Hold.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.903 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_ForecastHours06_Windspeed.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_ForecastHours06_Windspeed.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.903 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Studeerkamertest_Status.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Studeerkamertest_Status.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.904 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_Current_Windspeed.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_Current_Windspeed.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.905 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Logeerkamer_staande_lamp.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Logeerkamer_staande_lamp.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.905 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/gLampen.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/gLampen.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.905 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/SonoFF1SensorSwitch_state.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/SonoFF1SensorSwitch_state.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.906 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_ForecastHours06_Temperature.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_ForecastHours06_Temperature.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.906 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/gPlugwise.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/gPlugwise.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.907 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_Current_Winddirection.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_Current_Winddirection.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.907 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Woonkamerhanglamp_Status.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Woonkamerhanglamp_Status.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.908 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_ForecastHours06_Humidity.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_ForecastHours06_Humidity.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.908 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/SonoFF2SwitchSensor_state.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/SonoFF2SwitchSensor_state.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.909 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_ForecastHours06_Winddirection.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_ForecastHours06_Winddirection.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.909 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Halfotokast_Status.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Halfotokast_Status.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.910 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_Current_Temperature.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_Current_Temperature.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.910 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/gAccu.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/gAccu.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:00.910 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/SolarEdge_Aggregate_Month_Production.rrd': /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/SolarEdge_Aggregate_Month_Production.rrd: Te veel open bestanden

2022-03-15 01:52:59.666 [ERROR] [re.storage.json.internal.JsonStorage] - Error writing JsonDB to /var/lib/openhab/jsondb/org.openhab.core.config.discovery.DiscoveryResult.json. Cause /var/lib/openhab/jsondb/org.openhab.core.config.discovery.DiscoveryResult.json (Te veel open bestanden).

2022-03-15 01:52:59.668 [ERROR] [re.storage.json.internal.JsonStorage] - Error writing JsonDB to /var/lib/openhab/jsondb/backup/1647305579667--org.openhab.core.config.discovery.DiscoveryResult.json. Cause /var/lib/openhab/jsondb/backup/1647305579667--org.openhab.core.config.discovery.DiscoveryResult.json (Te veel open bestanden).

So it looks like there are failures in the first system and removing the all the things, items using MQTT didn’t solve the problem. It looks like there is only one way to go left… That is rebuild the system manually. Or are there any other suggestions?

Rossko57,
Thanks for this info. It solves my misunderstanding of using *. In the meantime I got rdd4j.persist working with a reading every5Minutes for the items of the Smart Meter and the Temperature items. Unfortunately this didn’t solve the problem of halting openHAB 3 every day. See my previous reply. So I think there must be something wrong in any of jsondb files. But which one is for me not clear at this moment.

No, I wouldn’t expect it to.
“Too many open files” is some kind of filestore problem. Something is using up file hooks, and rrd4j (being something that regularly opens and closes files) is the first to notice and report.
Have you any custom scripts running, or rules messing with file access/creation?

@Rossko57
There are a couple of rules. One checks the time the sun is coming up and going down. Another one check the cloudiness at the moment of the sun going down. The third one switches the lights on ( 8 total in steps of 20 seconds) based on the sun going down and the cloudiness at that moment. The fourth one switches the lights off (in steps of 20 seconds). But these rules were running fine in OH2 and OH3. Also 4 temperature sensors could be read without out a problem. Rules 1 to 4 don’t use MQTT but a zigbee controller. The temperature sensor (SonoFF) flashed with Tasmota, use MQTT and gave no problems in OH2 and OH3. When I started with the Smart Meter the problem started. I have disabled the Smart Meter, but the problem consists. In /var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/ are in total 117 files present. That is in my opinion not much. The system is a MacMini I3 with 16 GB ram running Linux. Its the same system that was running OH2 without any problem at 4GB. So I don’t see that these rules are messing anything up.

Your environment is the unusual factor here. What Java version are you running?

I’m running linux Mint Mate 20.3, OpenHAB 3.2.0. Java =
java -version
openjdk version “11.0.14.1” 2022-02-08 LTS
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Zulu11.54+25-CA (build 11.0.14.1+1-LTS)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Zulu11.54+25-CA (build 11.0.14.1+1-LTS, mixed mode)

With regard to

what is the output of

sudo ulimit -aH

and

sudo cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max

@Wolfgang S
Thanks for the intererst in this problem. Below the output.
ulimit -aH output:
core file size (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited
scheduling priority (-e) 0
file size (blocks, -f) unlimited
pending signals (-i) 63291
max locked memory (kbytes, -l) 65536
max memory size (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files (-n) 1048576
pipe size (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority (-r) 0
stack size (kbytes, -s) unlimited
cpu time (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes (-u) 63291
virtual memory (kbytes, -v) unlimited
file locks (-x) unlimited

sudo cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max output:
This seems to me very large!!

seems to be the maximum ( unlimited ) value on 64 bit systems.

OK,that should be the explanation. I looked at that before and I was convinced that that couldn’t be the problem.