eBUS Binding 3.x [3.4.0;3.9.9)

Since the upgrades of VR921 software and the move from Vaillant’s “sensoApp” to the new “myVaillant” app i miss at least 2 values of my heat pump data within the openhab ebus binding:

• VaillantVRC700heatingcircuit1_HC1flowsetpointtemperature (setpoint of heat circuit water temperature)

• VaillantVRC700hotwatercircuit_HWCflowtemperaturetemperature (boiler loading)

Has anybody observed similar issues or an idea what needs to be done to come to the “old” functionality?

Hi,
I am using the ebusd adapter v3.1 (rpi) and from what I can say it works - which means I can see the log producing output and I can write through the ebus to my Vaillant geotherm.
This is what the log looks like:

2022-12-06 14:00:12.282 [update notice] received unknown MS cmd: 1050b5040131 / 020001
2022-12-06 14:00:12.359 [update notice] received read mc Status QQ=70: 30;off;29.56;21
2022-12-06 14:00:12.479 [update notice] received update-read ehp ActualEnvironmentPowerPercentage QQ=10: 100
2022-12-06 14:00:12.574 [update notice] received unknown MS cmd: 7050b5040132 / 0a00280603010140020100
2022-12-06 14:00:12.695 [update notice] received update-read ehp ActualEnvironmentPower QQ=10: 7
2022-12-06 14:00:12.762 [update notice] received write mc RoomTempOffset QQ=70: 0.94

As soon as I create the ebus bridge thing

2022-12-06 14:00:15.031 [bus error] signal lost

… and after a while it continues like this

2022-12-06 14:01:25.457 [bus notice] device status: resetting
2022-12-06 14:01:25.457 [bus notice] re-opened /dev/ttyS0
2022-12-06 14:01:25.493 [bus error] device status: unexpected available enhanced byte 2
2022-12-06 14:01:25.537 [bus error] device status: unexpected available enhanced byte 2
2022-12-06 14:01:25.581 [bus error] device status: unexpected available enhanced byte 2
2022-12-06 14:01:25.625 [bus error] device status: unexpected available enhanced byte 2
2022-12-06 14:01:25.669 [bus notice] signal acquired
2022-12-06 14:01:25.691 [bus error] device status: unexpected available enhanced byte 2
2022-12-06 14:01:25.849 [bus error] device status: unexpected available enhanced byte 2
2022-12-06 14:01:25.937 [bus error] device status: unexpected available enhanced following byte 1

Have I done anything wrong in the configuration?
… or where else could I look for a solution?

Thank you for any help and hints.
kr,
Martin

What are your logs from? ebusd? I don’t know if ebusd and openhab can have simultaneous access to serial port ttyS0, but I think you should have openhab connect to ebusd which will act as a broker between the serial port and openhab.

Supposedly ebusd is also listening to port 8888, so set openhab ebus binding to network, localhost (or 127.0.0.1 or ip of your RPi), port 8888 and network driver ebusd (may be it works with raw also, but I don’t know as I don’t have ebusd installed myself). In this topic settings can be found for ebusd to provide access to the ebus binding.

1 Like

Yes!
Adding the port did the trick. Log seems to be ok now.
Bridge is connected. Now I would like to connect a Vaillant VR90. How do I get the slave address in hex?

I did a quick search of the openhab forum and found slave address 75. Is there an item in your inbox with that address?

1 Like

Well, yes, Thank you!
Ahrrg, I did not realize that this is the hex already. I thought this needs to be transformed or something. VR90 displayed as connected but not seeing any values for the items.

kr,
Martin

My issues which appeared or increased after the myVaillant app update (likely due to increased ebus traffic) are solved now. Missing heatpump parameters are present now and finally the very often occurring errors:

2022-12-14 15:17:31.338 [ERROR] [de.csdev.ebus.core.EBusQueue        ] - Send queue is full! The eBUS service will reset the queue to ensure proper operation.

are completey eliminated. The solution might probably help other users of the ESERA LAN ebus coupler as well.

Of an elementary importance is the “data packing condition” and there a setting of the timer (T) to at least 1ms instead of 0ms (default). Then this LAN coupler is by classes better than its image.

Can anybody explain how to add a custom configuration .json file to enhance the Vaillant VRC700 things by at least a channel for the HWC circulation pump (StatusCirPump)? Have a VRC720 and am an openHAB user on Windows10.

This string is part from ebusd configuration files 08hmu.csv/hcmode.inc (John30 on github):

uw,,StatusCirPump,Status Zirkulationspumpe,,,,00,,,UCH,0=off;100=on,,

@csowada , @Trainer or other experts:
Saw the URL feature for custom config files but don’t know how to convert the information into a .json custom configuration file.

Hi,
I do have a Vaillant geoTherm, an ebus adapter, ebusd installed and can read/write from/on it.
The OH ebus binding is installed and the bridge created.
Can anyone please point me into the right direction of what it takes to integrate it to OH (if possible at all)?
Thank you!

I am no ebus expert but i have the Vaillant aroTherm 105/6 with VRC720 controller. For me the VRC700 configuration within the binding works out. Maybe you could try this? The things have to be added manually then. I did this through the MainUI.

Openhab V3.4 is out now, is there an update available for the ebus binding, I can not install
the ebus binding from the market place.

When adding things I do not see any values on the channels. Also for the VR90 which is a device I have but it is not recognized when using “Scan”.
In case you are using ebusd - what would be your EBUSD_OPTS configuration?
Is your bridge using network or serial connection?

I am a Windows10 user. Have two ebus adapters running:

• ESERA LAN coupler, run this using network driver “raw” defined within the bridge thing.
  • Ebusd adapter 3 from John30, operate this one with ebusd running as container (from John30) in a “Docker Desktop” for Windows. This adapter is coupled to the network through WIFI. Openhab binding driver defined within the bridge thing is “ebusd”.
  • EBUSD_OPTS configuration is --scanconfig -d ens:192.168.1.178:9999

You may have to add things manually if scan doesn’t find something. It can take a while until values fill up with valid data.

You can use the following commands in the Karaf console to verify what has been identified:

1 Like

Did you try to install without market place ?
I am also interested if eBus still work with openhab 3.4. If someone has experience please leave a comment…

I have 3.4.0 - snapshot #3198 (close to the release) and ebus works. Copied the .kar file v3.2.14 into the addons folder.

I have done an update to openhab 3.4 some hours before - yes, it is working even with ebus. And it stayed installed (no need to copy the kar file to addons folder again).
Thanks for info - Roland (DK4RH - 73 !)

Have four questions:

• Is a custom config file loaded in parallel to the configuration contained within the binding or does it replace the original configuration?
  • Has anybody tested the URL feature for a custom configuration in Windows10?
    Applied the following syntax which works out in Wondows Explorer: file:///C:/openHAB3/userdata/vaillant/Circulation_Pump_configuration.json
  • Is it sufficient to restart the binding in order to load a custom config or is an OH restart required?
  • Can anybody translate this string which is part of ebusd configuration files 08hmu.csv/hcmode.inc (John30 on github) into a .json file for openhab:
uw,,StatusCirPump,Status Zirkulationspumpe,,,,00,,,UCH,0=off;100=on,,

The ident code for the Vaillant HMU (slave adress:08) is: 48 4D 55 30 30

Thanks for your support in advance.

1: it is loaded parallel to existing configuration files
2: syntax looks ok, although I run under Debian. In Linux file permissions are an issue, make sure that openhab has access to the specific file.
3: you could reload and update the configs from the openhab console:

smarthome:ebus reload                                  reload all defined json configuration files
smarthome:ebus update                                  update all things to newest json configuration files

I believe today you can omit the “smarthome:” part and just “ebus reload”.

For the fourth question I cannot produce an example. Check out the binding documents from the first post. On the bottom of the github readme is a link to three documents for the configuration files and the github has the json configs for several ebus devices. I made a custom one for my Brink unit by reading these documents and comparing with the built-in JSON’s.

And monitor all the ebus messages that are being sent back and forth between the manufacturer’s controller and the device and see if you can figure out something from these.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your answer. Questions 1-3 are answered and tested. Had issues with .json syntax. For this reason, my first attempts have not been successful. Used an online JSON parser to figure this out. See the desired circulation pump being loaded now.

The remaining issue is now to fill the json file with the appropriate data. Already worked through some of the material you mentioned. Looked for a translater from .csv for ebusd to .json for openhab. Ended at some “dead” links.

Is there any detailed guide about how to integrate an additional Vaillant model into the ebus binding?