Ecobee Stopped Reporting

I manage a number of systems which include Ecobee thermostats. All of them appear to have stopped reporting RH and temp data on 11/06 at about 1:50 am. Anyone else?

I’m getting RH and temp from my 2 devices.

I’m seeing the same problem. My Ecobee thermostats and sensors stopped reporting at just after 1am on Nov 6. I just noticed today and rebooted my Openhabian machine, but they are still not reporting.

So they’re working in every other aspect, except for not reporting temp and RH?

What I noticed first was that my Grafana dashboard stopped showing data after Nov 6 at around 1am. It is using Influx as the database. I just checked the OpenHab items through the OpenHab web interface and all of my Ecobee devices are online and show current values so it does look like they are working. The analysis view in the OpenHab web interface shows that the Ecobee sensor started tracking data again after I rebooted earlier today. The Grafana dashboard is still empty after Nov 6. However, I do see other things tracking current data to Influx and represented in Grafana.

Hmm. Interesting.

Do you see any errors in the openhab log from around the time period when things stopped reporting? The easiest way to find any errors would be to search for the string EcobeeApi in the log file.

No errors in the logs from around that time period. I do see info level log messages about the change of temperature values from the Ecobee items. Those values just never made it into Influx while other items continued to get logged to Influx.

Curious that this happened at exactly the DST switch time. I see the log file timestamps switch from 1:59 back to 1:00am as expected. I do continue to see those info level logs from the Ecobee items after the DST switch, so they did keep reporting data.

@fullmoonguru @abrechase I also noticed this issue and I find it interesting that it occurred ~10 min before the official (2 am) end of Daylight Savings in the US. My Ecobee firmware version is 4.7.43.164. Looking in my openhab.log file for that date & time I observed the following:

2022-11-06 01:49:57.043 [WARN ] [mmon.WrappedScheduledExecutorService] - Scheduled runnable ended with an exception:
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
        at org.openhab.binding.ecobee.internal.handler.EcobeeAccountBridgeHandler.refreshThermostats(EcobeeAccountBridgeHandler.java:219) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.ecobee.internal.handler.EcobeeAccountBridgeHandler.refresh(EcobeeAccountBridgeHandler.java:210) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:305) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:305) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628) [?:?]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829) [?:?]
2022-11-06 01:51:38.931 [WARN ] [mmon.WrappedScheduledExecutorService] - Scheduled runnable ended with an exception:
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
        at org.openhab.binding.ecobee.internal.discovery.EcobeeDiscoveryService.discoverThermostats(EcobeeDiscoveryService.java:134) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.ecobee.internal.discovery.EcobeeDiscoveryService.discover(EcobeeDiscoveryService.java:128) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.ecobee.internal.discovery.EcobeeDiscoveryService.backgroundDiscover(EcobeeDiscoveryService.java:119) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:305) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:305) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628) [?:?]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829) [?:?]

I only noticed it because of my Grafana graph was flat when it should have been steadily dropping over night.

Yeah, ouch, that’s the polling job and the discovery job that both died within minutes of each other. That’ll definitely cause the binding to stop updating any of the thermostat channels until the binding or openHAB is restarted.

At this point, it’s not clear to me how/why that can happen.

@abrechase @fullmoonguru Do you see those exceptions in your log file?

There are no exceptions in my openhab log for the time period of Nov 4 - 7 from the Ecobee binding. Based on the info level logging, I think the Ecobee items are still reporting their state but I’m just not getting the data in the persistence layer.

I recently migrated my setup from OpenHAB 3 on Linux over to Openhabian on a Raspberry Pi. Part of that process was switching to from MySQL to InfluxDB and it seems like it is trying to revert to using MySQL after a reboot. I’ll keep digging into that problem first.

The DST link is certainly interesting. I solved the issue by removing the Ecobee Account Thing and reinstalling.