Ethernet Z-wave controler

Hello
I’m looking for z-wave controller which is controled over ethernet or wifi via tcp/udp (not usb stick).
I have virtualized openhab installation and cannot connect USB stick to this server.
Can anyone suggest me if there is any supported in openhab2 ?

2 Likes

I use a raspberry pi and zwave stick connected to my VM via socat/ser2net. Set it up with this guide

I understand but my point is to make it more standalone. If i have to setup raspberry then I would not need have openhab on VM as i could use same local raspberry for everything (performance is another story)

No any zwave out of box ethernet controller device supported as now ?

I’m not aware of any readily available devices that will do what you are asking - please can you provide an example of what device you are wanting supported?

I agree, best option. To the OP, zwave doesn’t communicate via WiFi, you will have to have a way to talk to a controller.

I expected this:
openhab vm host - (internet) - (home router + port forward etc) -ethernet- (zwave controler/hub) - zwave sensors etc

You preffered me:
openhab vm host - (internet) - (home router + port forward etc) -ethernet-(raspberry pi with usb stick) - zwave sensors etc

Is my idea wrong ?

Could you explain to me what the difference is between your zwave controller/hub and a Raspberry Pi with usb stick? In my opinion they offer the exact same functionality where the RPi solution is compatible with the Z-Wave binding.
If you don’t like the USB stick sticking out of the case you could look at the razberry which you plug onto the GPI ports of the RPi.

I have never seen a dumb ethernet<>Z-Wave device.

P.S. As long as your VM and z-wave controller/hub or Rasberry Pi are on the same network you don’t need to do any port forwarding.

Not of itself. They’re just saying that there are no ethernet-zwave gateways manufactured. But you can make your own with with a RPi and a USB stick.

The idea is sound, my OH setup on a large commercial site runs on a server in a cupboard that has only a connection to the site ethernet, no local USB or GPIO etc. All device connections are via ethernet gateways distributed around site. But I don’t use zwave.

The closest thing that I just stumbled upon is a device sold by Homeseer for their solution. I think you’ll agree that it has a remarkable resemblance to what has been suggested in this topic. I have no idea what kind of protocol it uses but I guess it’s either z-way or a proprietary protocol created by Homeseer.

The HomeSeer device is an IP to Z-Wave controller. I completely understand what Golem is looking for as I have been doing the same.

In my case, I have a garage that would be too far from the house for my Z-Wave controller to work. So with having LAN connectivity between the house and garage, my central home automation server could send and receive Z-Wave events/commands via LAN to devices in the garage.

Are you using this Homeseer device with openHAB? If so, how does openHAB interact with it?

I have not purchased one yet and am still in the research phase.

I guess one could build a custom Pi and just use a remote dongle, but the HomeSeer device is already loaded with the required programs.

Is there a binding for this device? It seems a pretty expensive solution given it is just an RPi with a ZWave board.

@Ropeguru afaik the homeseer devices are indeed RPi (hometroller ZE S2) or beefed up similar systems.

Basically it’s exactly what the OP is trying to avoid. FWIW, I’m trying to do the same.

For all on this thread the ask is a black box device z-wave controller that can be accessed by (WiFi or ethernet). One could call the homeseer controller one but it’s really just a packaged RPi with Z-wave.

IMO This is a VERY valid ask. As more and more IoT moves to be managed in the cloud there are two directions, where one is direct control from a cloud management system. This is what the OP is talking about where one could config openHab on a cloud vm and then serve up control from the cloud. The BENEFIT of having a TCPIP based controller would be the elimination of the RPi as a controller which like a link in a chain is another potential point of failure. We all should recognize that RPi and similar controllers are Consumer grade and as consequence are prone to failure/noise.

The other direction of the IoT industry is IoT Edge, Msft Azure recently release products licensing for that design. However the IoT edge use case presumes a NEED for compute (signal filtering, AI logic, etc) on site (edge) as opposed to doing everything in the cloud. A typical home config with z-wave is NOT a scenario where edge compute need is high.

my $.02

@Chris the Homeseer is basically a potential replacement for openHAB. You buy their hardware and oh yeah you get to buy their software HS3 too which will run HUNDREDS. IMO Stick with openHAB.

But… If you have a IP based ZWave controller, then it is still fundamentally the same thing. It is a small, low power computer (such as an RPi, or Pi-Zero) with an ethernet controller, running some sort of basic OS, and including a ZWave controller. You will still fundamentally have the same components. Maybe there are a few less components in such a system, but not so many I think.

As would be the same for an embedded system - as I explain above.

Sure, I understand that. My question about a binding was more a rhetorical question since my interpretation of the statement that was made is that the Pi with a dongle, and HomeSeer would be similar. Given this is an OH forum, I assumed that ultimately the user wanted to connect it to OH. If you use a Pi with a ZWave stick, you can easily run this with the ZWave binding over IP - if you use HomeSeer, you won’t be able to do this and you would require a new binding.

1 Like

Umm, but you wouldn’t be using z-wave end devices either in some mission critical system e.g. bank vault security.

FWIW, I do think folk often overlook designing in robustness because we often start out as “just playing”. When it gets to lighting you can’t turn on by hand, door locks, fire alarms etc. it should be taken into account though.

You don’t need a raspberry pi but some kind of hardware to do the job. I have a similar setup with 3 Z-Wave controllers for more than 1,5 years now. All my 3 Z-Wave controllers are NOT connected to the OH-Server via USB but by some kind of “USB over IP” solution. As my OH runs on Windows I cannot use the solution with the raspberry pi. Instead I use one Silex DS510 with an Aeotec Gen5 ZStick, one Silex DS520 with an Aeotec Gen5 ZStick and one SEH UTN-55 with an Aeotec Gen5 ZStick. This works great as long as your LAN/WLAN is working reliable (which is not so easy, I worked long to get it stable).

3 Likes

I had the same questions. I am a homeseer user and want to explore openhab, but I don’t want to buy a new Zwave adapter (and rebuild network) or put my radio in my garage with the rest of my gear.

The homeseer znet does not run a home automation controller of any kind, it is purely a Zwave radio with an ip based interface to pair with homeseer over IP.

It is similar to the iTach IP-to-IR/Relay/RS232 that provide a generic IP interface to whatever they connect to on the other side. I have an ip-to-rs232 connected to the management port of my security system, far away from my Zwave radio or home automation controller

I guess the general confusion and disbelief that such a product even existed answers the question on whether openhab supports it.

It would be great to extend a Zwave network purely over IP to allow for non-connected buildings, or vacation homes, or cloud based controllers to be possible without needing to home openhab directly with the Zwave radio

3 Likes

Also thinking it may be possible to direct virtual serial port with socat over TCP to an ethernet connected Zwave radio. Maybe I’ll play around if I find the time