Experience with integrating Devolo Smoke detector / zwave?

Hello, The Devolo Smoke Detector seems like a good offer.
However, my OpenHab2 doesn’t recognize it fully and states “Unknown Device”. Some properties are detected automatically (see below the properties) and an XML code is created (which I could share on request). However Openhab does not create channels for this device.

And yes, the device is missing in the Z-Wave database on www.cd-jackson.com , but I do not have the authorisation to edit or add devices here (and probably as well not the knowledge)

Was anyone able to integrate the Devolo Smoke detector? Is there a way to manually setup the channels for zwave devices in OpenHAB2?

thanks Martin

The detected properties from HABPanel:

zwave_class_basic ROUTING_SLAVE
zwave_class_generic SENSOR_NOTIFICATION
zwave_frequent false
zwave_neighbours 1,3,4
zwave_version 16.7
zwave_listening false
zwave_plus_devicetype SMOKE_ALARM_SENSOR
zwave_deviceid 1188
zwave_nodeid 5
zwave_routing true
zwave_wakeup_time 2017-06-11T09:32:33Z
zwave_beaming true
zwave_class_specific NOTIFICATION_SENSOR
zwave_manufacturer 373
zwave_devicetype 8196

Just upload that xml to the database and you should be fine.

Thanks - I would love to. However, when I log into the zwave database I cannot find a way to upload the xml files there. can you give advice?
With my login Im missing the green “+add” button in the device list, which is shown in the database guide…

I’ve updated your access so you should have the extra options now.

Thanks a lot

The device: Devolo Home Control Smoke Detector is created in the database.
Hope it works now :slight_smile:

I’ll get this into the binding later tonight hopefully. If you can upload a PDF for the manual, and an image (both in the reference document section) it would be useful as I suspect there is more information that needs to go into the database…

Hej Chris - all uploaded now. Good luck and thanks

Hello Chris, You have probably update the binding in the meantime. However I cannot find an instruction on how to update the Zwave binding. As I understand there is no automatic download (at least for me on a Synology Openhab2 installation)
How do I do this manually or is there a more elegant way ?
thanks?

If you are running the snapshot runtime, then just uninstall the binding and reinstall it - it will pick up the latest version.

If you’re not on the latest version, then it’s a bit more problematic so the easiest is to use the snapshot.

1 Like

Martin, did you successfully integrate the Devolo smoke sensor into openhab now?
Any experience?

Hello @michel53 , no. The integration never worked out completely .
Finally a send the developer back and bought a fibaro smoke detector. This works fine

(Sorry for late reply, I didn’t get a notification. Using @user , triggers a notification)

Hi @mdnx, thanks for your answer. So I will also look for other smoke detectors.

I have bought three of these detectors. What did not work out @mdnx?

I would like to get the detectors running; three other devolo devices are created in the database. Could you provide me permission to create entries @chris?

Hello @Bernd_R
in my case the notification about alarms via zwave didn’t work out. the detector connected elsewise well into my system. I tried different settings and was as well in contact with Chris - in the end it was more easy to return the devices and buy less bulky ones.

I wrote an amazon review at that time and received a little “compatibility aware” answer from Devolo :slight_smile:

(excuse their German answer)

Hallo,
in erster Linie liegt es daran, dass der Rauchmelder Bestandteil unseres Smart-Home-Systems "Home Control" ist. Daher können wir lediglich dafür garantieren, dass das Gerät hundertprozentig verlässlich funktioniert, wenn es darin implementiert ist. Allerdings bieten wir auf unserer Website Hilfestellungen für den Fall an, dass jemand sich damit auseinandersetzen möchte, ob und inwiefern Geräte innerhalb anderer Systeme, also mit anderen Controllern, funktionieren. Infos zu etwaigen Parametern finden Sie im Handbuch: http://bit.ly/devolo_rauchmelder_downloads.

Schönen Gruß vom devolo-Team aus Aachen
```

What is your username on the database site?

Thanks @mdnx,

I can confirm that the devolo sensors report alarm notification and state of charge to openhabian ( 2.3.0-1 (Release Build)). However, you are not able to trigger the alarm of the sensor from openhab directly.
Also I do not know the practical effect of “Binary Sensor” and how to use “Alarm (burglar)”. Maybe you need additional hardware?

I have integrated one sensor at this point of time, I am not sure if I am able to interconnect all of them. But I think the sensors have good quality at that price.

My username is Bernd.

Thanks,
chris

As far as I know there is only one single smoke detector which is able to do that:

https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devicesummary/229

And to be honest, that is not the intended use case for a smoke detector, isn’t it? :grinning:

1 Like

I agree, just a point of clarification.

Hello @Bernd_R - great to hear, that the Devolo sensors work properly in your system!
as I wrote: I didn’t manage to get them into my a year ago.