Fibaro, Shelly or Sonoff Wall Plug

I was intended to buy a Fibaro Wall Plug to measure energy consumption for some devices by Openhab.

Now I read about Shelly en Sonoff Wall Plugs on serveral topics.

Can I do the same (switching an energy measurement) with Shelly/Sonoff as I can with Fibaro plugs? They are less expensive.

Do I need a Z-wave stick?

What binding do they communicate with?

Which one to choose? Shelly or Sonoff? (The Shelly plugs look nicer)

Other things to think about when I buy one of these?

Hello,
The shelly and sonoff plugs both communicate over WLAN so you wouldn’t need an extra dongle to use them like with zwave plugs. You would connect them to openhab using the mqtt binding. When using the sonoff most people on this forum use them with a special firmware called Tasmota and you can buy them either pre flashed on Ebay or flash them yourself. There is many tutorials online on this. The shelly plugs have the ability to use mqtt build in but you need to turn it on in the advanced settings. They are fairly easy to setup and work good with openhab. Their is a few good threads on how to connect Tasmota devices too the mqtt2 binding and also some for the shellys. Shelly has a good section about their api on the website which makes it fairly easy to understand how to access data like the energy measurement once connected over Mqtt.
Depending on how the wifi coverage of your home is wireless standards like zwave have the advantage that they build their network on a mash principle, so if you distribute plugs in the right way around your home you can even reach coverage of distant rooms.
Hope this helped, best regards Johannes

Thanks Johannes for your quick response.

My wlan coverage is perfect so to prefer above Zwave.

1 Fibaro Wall plug costs about € 65. Shelly plugs about € 20 each. Makes sense to measure more devices seperate.

Are the Shelly devices pretty new compared to the Sonoff?

My main installation exists of a Nikobus installation (15 year old) and i’m looking for a second option to switch and measure other items. And my rollershutters in Nikobus don’t work perfect. I can’t find a solution how to registrate the status of individual screens.

Do Shelly or Sonoff have solutions for that?

Yes shelly is pretty new, they are a small company from Sofia Bulgaria. I have good experiences with their products and their customer support was very helpful when one of their humidity and temperature sensors broke.
They do have a roller shutter module and i know some people on this forum use it

I dont know about sonoff.
Best regards Johannes

I too have multiple Shelly 1’s, ok i can’t comment on energy monitoring as they’re not PM’s, but the switches themselves haven’t missed a beat. One thing I will say though is the sound of the relay activating is very audible (you can hear it through a plasterboard/plastered ceiling.
I’m happy with them and for the price would definitely buy again, plus they’re much much smaller than a sonoff which I purchased for testing and abandoned due to the size

Do Shelly 1 PM’s work like the Shelly Wall Plug S or different?

Spec wise it’s more comparable with the non s plug but as a relay to be mounted in a wallbox behind a light switch or power outlet.

Of course,
You mean 16A instead of 12A. But I mean Openhab functionally:

• switching
  • power metering
    works the same for both?

Yes as they are connected via mqtt everything that is exposed over Mqtt from shelly can be used in Openhab. Have a look here for how examples how to connect it as shellys own documentation for the mqtt api is not really upto date:

Great, this will help me.

First gonna order some.

Regards

Hi ALL There,

I use different Shelly devices with openHAB/MQTT/Mosquitto/Telegraf/Grafana.
You can found my main config files as example there :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/325879801556174/?ref=group_header

To discuss…

Thanks Francois, although my french is not that well!

Do you reccomend to put use a different WLan for your shelly devices? Or a different one for all IoT stuff? Including the openhab server?

If your router has the option I would at least block the internet access of the iot devices which don’t need it, like plugs and sensors.

Not needed if your main WLAN run well.
If you have hundreds of IoT which are sending lot of informations permanently, you should think to have a specific one, but not on the same channel, of course.