Fibaro smoke sensor (FGSD-002) / Not getting all values from the device

Hi @chris,

I am using the Fibaro smoke sensor (FGSD-002) for my OpenHAB2 installation (previously running successfully on OH1).

The device is fully recognized as a thing (node 8) and all channels are found.

I want to get the following values from the device to use them in my items/sitemap file:

alarm_smoke
alarm_heat
battery-level
sensor_temperature

Except alarm_heat everything works fine. But I can’t get any value from the device for alarm_heat. Can you please have a look at the debug file? You can see that the binding polls “alarm_heat” several times, but there isn’t any response from the device (as far as I can see). It also polls “alarm_general” and “alarm_smoke” and does get answers for them. As alarm_smoke is found as a channel, the channel is updated. As it should be. But simply nothing for alarm_heat.

I am surely doing something wrong, but I could need two more eyes to find my error.

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Stefan

zwave.log.zip.xml (131.6 KB)

Hi,

I have SMOKE and HEAT configured as a Switch.
Both show “OK” as status. They only get triggered if a real alarm is coming in.

If I use the “Testbutton” of the device only ALARM GENERAL is triggered. Which means until I never tried if the HEAT or SMOKE alarm actually work.

what do you expect for value as heat? can you post a screenshot of habmin -> description of that device?

Thanks shorty.

Yes, that’s clear to me.

That’s not. :wink: I would expect the device to report 0 (no alarm) or 1 (alarm); OFF (no alarm) or ON (alarm) or maybe even 0 (no alarm) or 255 (alarm). And based on what the device reports, I want to transform it to a readable format in my sitemap. But for this I have to know what the device reports and what the binding makes of it.

When habmin says “OK”, I can not believe that this is the value reported by the device. Maybe habmin already does some kind of transformation to mark it as “Ok”.

Either way, I do not get ANY value from the device alarm_heat at the moment. Do you get values? (only noticeable in DEBUG mode).

Would you kindly post your habmin settings for association group and for the parameter configuration?

Btw, did you intentionally linked every channel to two items? It seems like one link is an automatic linking (Simple Mode ON?) and one is done by a manual link in the items-file?

I will send that once I am at home tonight

in the meanwhile you can find any channel definition (also heat and smoke) here:

http://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/openhab-2-channel-types

I also will check my debug log to find the incoming message for these channels

since habmi shows OK I am pretty sure the item was updated with an OFF :wink:

HABmin doesn’t do translations as such, but these are already defined in the binding so that OFF = OK and ON = Alarm (if I remember correctly). These are defined as states in the channel definitions.

Ah, I didn’t knew this one. This helps! Thanks!

Thanks chris. When I follow the link to your channel types, it would be vice versa. ON is Ok (=no alarm), OFF = alarm. I would think that the other way seems to be more logical, but ok. If this is how the world is turning… :wink:

Sorry, but in my understanding it should be updated with ON according to the channel types, as ON=Ok. Or am I missing something here?

Anyway. This all helps me to configure the device properly, but it doesn’t solve my initial problem that the device doesn’t deliver any value for alarm_heat.

no sorry I didnt check the actual message in debug log… just whats on the UI at habmin
and anticipated OK = OFF :wink: If the channel definition says ON = OK than it most possible is like that

did you try “simple mode” and took a look at the auto created item? also no value there?

Well, and this is what I do not understand. Take a look at a part of my debug log:

2016-10-09 15:51:17.326 [DEBUG] [ssage.ApplicationCommandMessageClass] - NODE 8: Incoming command class SENSOR_ALARM
2016-10-09 15:51:17.326 [DEBUG] [ndclass.ZWaveAlarmSensorCommandClass] - NODE 8: Received SENSOR_ALARM command V1
2016-10-09 15:51:17.327 [DEBUG] [ndclass.ZWaveAlarmSensorCommandClass] - NODE 8: Alarm Report: Source=8, Type=Smoke(1), Value=0
2016-10-09 15:51:17.327 [DEBUG] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - Notifying event listeners: ZWaveAlarmSensorValueEvent
2016-10-09 15:51:17.328 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 8: Got an event from Z-Wave network: ZWaveAlarmSensorValueEvent
2016-10-09 15:51:17.328 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 8: Got a value event from Z-Wave network, endpoint = 0, command class = SENSOR_ALARM, value = 0
2016-10-09 15:51:17.329 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 8: Updating channel state zwave:device:157a888536a:node8:alarm_smoke to OFF [OnOffType]

There is an incoming value from the device for smoke with value=0 (line 3). And the zwave handler converts this to OFF (line 6). As the device lies here beneath me, it’s obviously in a “NO ALARM” situation. So value=0 seems logical, but OFF is - according to the channel types - the state for ALARM.

Does this makes any sense @chris ? Sorry for highlighting you again…

No - it is around the wrong way. I suspect it’s just the state strings that are the wrong way around.

That said, it looks ok -:

<!-- Smoke Alarm Channel -->
    <channel-type id="alarm_smoke">
        <item-type>Switch</item-type>
        <label>Smoke alarm</label>
        <description>Indicates if a smoke is triggered
        </description>
        <category>Door</category>
        <state readOnly="true">
            <options>
                <option value="OFF">Ok</option>
                <option value="ON">Alarm</option>
            </options>
        </state>
    </channel-type>

So maybe there’s something else in play here…

No problem - it’s easier for me if you do anyway…

FYI:

I updated the binding (just to be sure), deleted the xml and the thing, re-initialized the device and after some hours (=first wakeup), also alarm_heat send a value (OFF).

Problem solved.

Nevertheless I still have to try an alarm scenario. Which value will be reported and do my OH1 rules react as expected?!

hi @jaydee73, @chris

did you ever get this clear ? I did update openhab2 2 days ago (OH snapshot), and got stuck in similar difficulties :

• I have one fgsd002 that does not send alarm (smoke) data
  • I have TWO fgsd002 that do send smoke data, and strangely their behaviour did change after the update : they started to alarm.

According to http://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/openhab-2-channel-types :
alarm_smoke ==> Switch ==> ON = Ok / OFF = Alarm

BUT this is my log for one of my two offending sensors :

2016-12-19 19:24:45.263 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 5: Got an event from Z-Wave network: ZWaveAlarmValueEvent
2016-12-19 19:24:45.264 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 5: Got a value event from Z-Wave network, endpoint = 0, command class = ALARM, value = 255
2016-12-19 19:24:45.266 [DEBUG] [ternal.converter.ZWaveAlarmConverter] - Alarm converter processing NOTIFICATION
2016-12-19 19:24:45.268 [DEBUG] [ternal.converter.ZWaveAlarmConverter] - Alarm converter NOTIFICATION event is 254, type OnOffType
2016-12-19 19:24:45.269 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 5: Updating channel state zwave:device:1590c582342:node5:alarm_smoke to ON [OnOffType]

and this is my habmin screen, clearly stating “alarm” :

Given that there is no smoke in my house, I am a little confused as of :

• how to get the 3rd sensor to send all values (I did remove it from the controler and re-include it, then I did wake it up several times)
  • what is the real “no alarm” state ? ON or OFF ? ( if “off”, why do I suddenly get alarms ? is the linked site not-up-to-date ? are my sensors failing simultaneously, if so why and what can I do about it ? did something in the code change recently ?)

my bassic values are :
“-1” for basic ON , can’t get it to update to the default 255 => issue with unsigned byte in habmin ? (or swave binding ?)
“0” for basic OFF

It works fine here. I spent some time to get this working well (I think).

When you say you updated the binding - did you also delete the thing and add it back? I guess not since I think the channels would have changed - this is necessary.

Hi,

I did update OH2 globally with an offline snapshot so the binding was updated. I did delete the things and re-add them. I’ll try to play with parameter 2, but … is “ON” a “no alarm” state ? (habmin and cd-jackson.com thay the opposite)

I think ON is an ALARM state.

wow, then I have an (two) issue :confused:

Yes, the sensor works for me. And yes, ON means ALARM. I made some further tests yesterday and got sensor activity for both, HEAT and SMOKE channels. Both events got triggered when the device has reached it’s threshold. And the device also made some noise of course. :wink:

But unlike chris, I am using slighty different configuration parameters. In fact, I haven’t changed them after initialization, but I’m not sure if these were the default settings from the binding or if the settings were stored on the zwave stick and therefore taken over from my OH1 installation (were the sensor also already worked).

Here is my settings screen:

I think chris has used other values for parameter 2 and 4.

And I am using only association group 1 (just as chris).

I will do some further testings, but not until the new year. I need some smoke spray first. :wink:

It looks like we are using basically the same configuration. I changed Parm4 as otherwise there was no sound for a heat alarm but otherwise it looks like it’s the same config. I started from a factory reset…

Hi, there is something wrong for me. I unboxed my 3rd fgsd-002, and it too is in “alarm” state under habmin (it’s battery is at 100%, so it’s not a power issue).

I noticed however that all association groups were emptied on all 3 fgsd (dooo how did this happen ?). So I set up back group 1, 2 and 4 on openhab controller.

I have also a different configurations for basic ON (-1 …) and OFF (0), but I’m not sure this is the problem. Also I did set sensitivity to LOW to see if it makes a difference…

edit : seems not, everything is still in smoke_alarm and heat_alarm state. I may have to factory-reset all 3 fgsd and hope they come back to normal … or else I don’t known what

@chris: May I ask you to have a look at my newest problem with this device? Santa brought me another FGSD002 smoke sensor and I have integrated it (as usual). Node 13 in the log.

This happened three days ago and until now I only could get values for temperature and battery from the device. No alarm and heat state (therefore undefined). In another thread you mentioned that these states will firstly be transmitted when a real alarm occurs. But it this really the way it has to be?

If you have a look at the debug log, the binding polls every 30 minutes the alarm/heat/smoke channels, but (as far as I can see) doesn’t get an answer from the device. Only temperature and battery (from time to time). Is this normal behavior of a zwave device not to react to pollings?

Furthermore, I have had a look at my “old” smoke sensor (node 8) and there also no value for heat/smoke/etc. is transmitted.

Do you get regular state updates for these channels from your own sensor?

Or is this related to my configuration options?

Thanks a lot!

zwave.log.zip.xml (397.6 KB)