FIND (personalized indoor localization)

@mcqwerty , May I ask if you were able to execute the simple instructions at the internalposition.com install page, or whether you had to do something else? I am having an issue with Go finding the FIND directory, and am getting the error;

go install: no install location for directory /home/will/find outside GOPATH

I have added the HOME/find directory to GOPATH in both my .profile and .bashrc files but still no success. Do I need to move the /find directory under the /go/pkg directory?

No, sorry, I guess the real expert regarding systemd is @ptweety. Maybe he can provide some idea.

I am running Windows and as far as I remember I just download the windows version of the FIND server. I didn’t have to install GO.
I read through the instructions to figure out the command line needed to run the FIND server but I didn’t need to install anything else to get it to run.
If you are not on Windows then I don’t think I can be of much help.

Unfortunately FINDSERVER stops receiving updates from MQTT after an undetermined timeout - when I turn off my phone at night, it only randomly starts receiving the updates again in the morning when turned back on (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t). Only way to start receiving updates is to restart findserver.
Unfortunately I might have to give up on this one… Anyone else using this addon with success? Such great potential but I’m hitting a roadblock here. :frowning:

I’ve been using findserver for quite some time and have never encountered this sort of behavior.
You could start debugging on Linux level (see findserver log output first and if that does not give any hint try tcpdump, strace on findserver process) but it’s rather unlikely that the findserver process is your problem and more likely that something else in the process chain keeps the MQTT packages from being sent (you sure they arrive at the findserver process? try strace)

Thanks for the tips @mstormi - I’ll have to look into this some more and hopefully find what’s causing the issue.

FIND3 was just released.
It now supports Bluetooth as a data source in parallel to WiFi (and potentially others) and brings a renewed app version.

See overview.
Note openHABian still uses the old FIND version. I didn`t check FIND3 out so far, will do as time permits.

3 Likes

Tasker for android

Hi @Chod thanks for the reply but please could you provide more details.
I am aware of Tasker and have used it for various other purposes but I don’t see how it can be used to provide the specific access point signature data that the FIND server needs.
If you have Tasker working with FIND please could you provide details.

Thanks

a quite important question ? How accurate is it ? I am playing for a couple of days with FIND3 (never used FIND) and I was not impressed with the accuracy. I was getting a lot of false readings although I spent more than 5mins in learning mode in each room.

I have put some BLE raspi’s in a couple of rooms and the accuracy improved. I will continue testing to see how things go
Another problem is that for accurate position in the house using the smartphone is not good for me, as more often than not I do not carry it around when going from one room to another, eating, playing with kids etc

A wearable like a BLE smartwatch could be more realistic but then I again will be losing the wifi fingerprints

Can anyont tell me what the “group” name is? I have installed the local find server for openhab2 and it displays it’s login page on localhost:8003/login asking for group. I used the adnroid app find3 and there’s no group name. You have “family” and “device”. it scans for fingerprints to the local server just fine, I just cannot logon to the local server because “group” is neither the “family” name nor the “device”.

Can anyone advise please?

You can define the group in the clients options. You should be able to select an arbitrary name.
findserver uses it to group data from various users as a common set of data, and uses this in its MQTT subscription, too.

Thanks for the reply but I ditched the original find server and app since the app wont work properly on oreo android phones (giving errors).

I upgraded to find3 server (the new version) as a docker container and using that (there are instructions on website). The find3 app on android also works just fine with this dockerized find3 and I just had to add a new mqtt section in openhab for the mqtt server sitting inside the docker container to make it work in openhab. As it’s mqtt messages are backwards compatible the instructions for configuring openhab2 work just fine.

I also think the find server setup stuff should be rewritten to use find3 as find is no longer maintained. setting up means installing a deprecated software. Then only thing is either you install all prerequisites manually and use any existing mosquitto or to use docker you have to rebuild the docker container unless it’s working for your platform and I don’t know if docker is available on all platforms.

Does anybody knows if Find server currently available in OpenHabian and installed via openhabian-config is now totally compliant with Find3 app?
Also, any update for more reliable app that update in the background despite the older version of Room+, Find3 or Zanzito?
Currently run with OpenHab 2.4
THNKS

No it’s still FIND 2 in openhabian. I didn’t find the time to upgrade yet.

1 Like

Hi! I’ve just started openHAB, and I found FIND quite interesting. I’ve installed a FIND3 server and started configuring passive tracking. My wireless chip doesn’t seem to support monitor mode though :frowning: (EDIT: I had NetworkManager managing wlp5s0, works now! :smiley: )

I’m using Ubiquiti Unifi access points in my setups, so I figured it should be possible to use these as passive information source. I wrote a little unifi-to-find3 utility that connects to the Unifi controller and pushes the data into /passive in FIND3. Figured I should share: https://gitlab.com/rubdos/find3-utils

It’s written in Rust (just because). I’m slowly making the code a bit cleaner, since I’m using this code as setup for a Rust-beginners presentation. The CI is set up to build and host an executable; cfr. the README. Let me (or the issue tracker) know if you encounter bugs!

I can currently only track associated clients at the associated access point. I haven’t been able to find an API that fetches information about non-associated devices (to track one device across multiple access points). This would be a great addition, since that practically turns any Unifi setup into a FIND3 passive setup without any work!

Please let me know if you use it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Did you do so on a Raspi without using the Docker image ? I have some trouble getting it to work there following the FIND instructions.

No, on a headless Threadripper-based server running Fedora. If you want some help, feel free to send me a message somehow; I’m not sure whether this topic is appropriate for that.

2 posts were split to a new topic: FIND3 install issue

A post was split to a new topic: FIND install issue