Google Assistand do not find any devices

Hi,
I have OpenHab 2.5 and MyOpenhab is connected and working fine.
Until this morning I have OpenHab-Google Assistant Integration working fine, my Openhab’s device is listed into Google Home App, and I can control them with voice.
This afternoon I needed to add a new devices to Google Assistant, so I sayd “Ok Google Sync My Devices”. After that Assistant reply “OK”. This is 1st strange thing, ususally Google reply “OK, syncing Openhab in progres”
After this, all my openhab devices are deleted from Google Home Application. I tryed to reconnect google home to MyOpenhab and allowed again acces, but after suceffully pairing, an alert inform me that on OpenHab there is no devices, and Google Home App still empty of OpenHab devices.
My OpenHab is working fine.

Any suggestion will be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Marco

Hi,
thanks for answer.
I tried this:

Switch PWS003 "PSkt 003" <switch> (gpMapDB_EveryChange)  { channel="mqtt:topic:a78ef153:MyPowerSocket03", ga="Switch" [ inverted=false ]}

and sync again, but still not have devices in Google Home. I suppose my version of openhab does not support metadata. Version is 2.4.0 release build.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Try it without the [ inverted=false ].

As far as I’m aware, metadata should work fine with 2.4 (I’m pretty sure I moved to it when I was on 2.4).

FYI, if you decide to update then you’re going to find it tricky due to the shutdown of Bintray. You’ll likely want to set up a new instance of OH 2.5, and then copy over your configuration files from a backup. That will enable you to move to OH 3 whenever you’re ready.

hi @rpwong,
I tried without [ inverted=false ], but device do not sync with Google Home. One question, I have to remove all tag from all Items to make metadata work, or just the items i need?

I am not moving to OpenHab 3, basically because my heater is connected to a device not supported onto OpenHab3, so I am taking time to decide how procede.
A good option is your suggestion to migrate temporary to openhab 2.5, and then migrate to OpenHab3.0. To migrate from 2.4.0 to 2.5.0 I just backup and restore config, right?

Many Thank

PS is there a good guide to migrate from openhab 2.5 to Openhab 3?

The Remote openHAB Binding was introduced for this reason, enabling you to connect OH3 to a secondary OH2 server. The OH2 server would just serve as a bridge for any devices not supported by OH3. Like any other binding, the OH2 devices will show up as things/channels that can be used in items. Assuming your heater doesn’t gain OH3 support, that would be the best way to go.

Yes. Are you using openHABian on a Raspberry Pi, or something else?

I also just noticed that I overlooked something in your previous post. You didn’t remove the <switch> tag from your item, and that might be why it’s not showing up in Google Home (though it shouldn’t matter).

Hi @rpwong
I just installed a OHab 3 server and just give a try to Remote OpenHab Binding and this should be the final solution. Now where I live is time to use the heater, so migrate to OH3 is in plan next year.

Yes. Are you using openHABian on a Raspberry Pi, or something else?

I have a Virtual Machine with Debian9 and Openhab 2.4.0 Installed

The <switch> is the icon of the Item, the tag for GoogleAssistant is [ “Switchable” ]. is this right?
Now my item is:

Switch PWS003 "PSkt 003" <switch> (gpMapDB_EveryChange) { channel="mqtt:topic:a78ef153:MyPowerSocket03", ga="Switch" }

but do not sync to GA :pensive:

Question: is it possible to Upgrade from 2.4.0 to 2.5.0 on the same server? I have VMWare and I can perform a snapshot and come back easily

Thanks Marco

You are correct. Sorry, I misread that on the second look. I’m not sure why GA isn’t picking up the changes. You might need to remove and readd it in Google Home, but I’m just guessing.

I don’t believe you’ll be able to do this due to Bintray shutting down, because you won’t be able to access the repositories that are no longer there. There’s a solution posted for 2.5, which may also work for 2.4.

Worth a shot since you can do it on a snapshot. Admittedly, I’m out of my depth, and the fact that you’re using VMWare means you probably know more about this stuff than I do. I suspect that if you search the community, you’ll find others who also needed to upgrade from 2.4.

hi @rpwong
I am appreciating you spent your time to help me.
I am skilled on VMWare, and as you suggested I will look around comunity to perform the upgrade.

Just an “Happy” quick update. In orger to make metadata working, is not enought ask to GA to sync devices, but I had to do pairing again between OH and GA. After that GA discovered the item I configured with metadata, and now I am able to add more items with metadata by changing .items file and saying to GA to sync my device.
So for now I am in a stable situation, and I have all winter to plan the migration to OH3.

Many thanks for you precius help.

Kindly regards and have a nice evening.

Marco

1 Like

Good stuff. Yeah, that shouldn’t have been necessary, but Google Assistant can be frustrating at times. I suspect it wasn’t seeing changes for whatever reason.

FYI, you don’t have to go through 2.5 to get to OH 3. You just have to be aware that some things don’t carry over without edits.