Google Home - Actions (API) now available!

Can you add an example of items to group this way?

This is not supported by the Google Home.

Hi Friends,

I am trying to deploy the openhab-google-assistant functionality which allows controlling OH2 devices by the means of a Google Home device.
However I am stuck at the “Setup your Database” step:
Setup your Database
SSH into to your openhab cloud instance
Open the mongodb client mongo and enter these commands

According to the first instruction from above (“SSH into your openhab cloud instance”), where exactly the mongodb database should be installed? Google Cloud platform (from the Google Cloud Shell terminal)? openhab2 local (not cloud) instance (which in my case resides on a Raspberry Pi machine)?

I tried to run the mongo client from the Google Cloud Shell but it seems mongodb is not installed:
xxx@openhab-project-yyy:~$ mongo
-bash: mongo: command not found

When trying to install mongodb in my Google Cloud instance I am given a cost estimation of $347/month:
MongoDB
MongoDB (Google Click to Deploy)
Estimated costs: $347.48/month | 100+ recent deployments

so before taking this step I really need to ensure the mongodb deployment we will be using for our openhab-google-assistant project does not actually bring any costs in the Google Billing.

Am I proceeding right? Maybe I didn’t understand correctly the instruction “SSH into to your openhab cloud instance” and therefore the scope of the mongodb installation ?

Thank you!
Cristian

Are you specifically trying to use your own instance of myopenhab? If not, then just follow this guide: Google Home & openHAB connection How-To - it’s much simpler than what you’re trying to do.

1 Like

I have a local openhab installation on a RPi which is linked to myopenhab.org (openhab cloud). I am trying to link Google Home to the openhab cloud instance via the Google Cloud by following this guide.

In parallel I will try to apply the guide you suggested - thanks!.

Just follow my guide - the one you linked is if you want to run your own instance of google actions (the old way, before the official action was approved).

1 Like

Surely I will. It seems a lot easier to implement compared to the “old” one…
Thanks a lot for your support!

FYI, the “Old one” is still valid, but is intended for people who want to use their own instance of Myopenhab cloud (not the official myopenhab.org).
It’s mainly for developers who want to test or implement new features before they are officially published, or for people who want an installation which doesn’t rely on the myopenhab.org servers.

If you’re the “standard” user profile, ie have a local openhab installation linked to a cloud account with myopenhab.org, then use this tutorial @bartus pointed out to you : Google Home & openHAB connection How-To

If you are more a techy guy who wants to contribute and test/implement new features in openhab that are not yet released, then you can follow this guide here (your original link) : https://github.com/openhab/openhab-google-assistant

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarifications Gaël! I am a techy guy but I completely missed out the fact that openhab cloud is deployed as a “local instance” in the “old” setup. I tend to assume this “own myopenhab cloud instance” is actually “emulated”, otherwise it conflicts with the whole cloud concept (an additional layer that allows spreading a service over a group of physical/virtual machines which share both the workload and the specific functions).

If possible, please help me understand what is the procedure to be followed in order to deploy my own instance of Myopenhab cloud (which I fail to see here: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-google-assistant)

Cheers,
Cristian

It’s not emulated, it’s really an instance of openhab cloud, except that the “cloud” is a server in your own infrastructure instead of a server located in the Openhab network. In this regard, you also have to setup an authentication server and everything needed for your local openhab installation (authentication, network routes, etc.) Openhab-cloud GitHub is here with installation instructions.

The thread here may be useful too :

2 Likes

Thank you once again for your extremely useful input!

Quick question: in order to proceed with bartus’ tutorial, can I stick to the internal db representation of openhab items (provided that I used exclusively Paper UI to add things in openhab), or should I export these items into *.items files? Since we need to add tags - like [“Switchable”] or ["Lighting’] - I assume I must go with the 2nd option…

Thanks, Cristian

My personal preference (and suggestion) would be to go with a hard coded .items file. Especially if you have or plan on having a larger system, it’s nice to have that full file to look at and work with. You also can back up easier and don’t risk losing all your items in a db corruption.

That said, you could absolutely go with option 1 to start, but you need to use the Rest API to assign tags to your items.

2 Likes

Dear Everyone!

Can someone briefly summarize what is the difference between this and Official Google Home integration?

Are there any benefits using this? How can I set it up?

Thanks!

was your problem ever solved? just noticed today that I get the same error message on my smartphone.

1 Like
2 Likes

This helped a lot! I added a dummy switch, but forgot to assign a label. So as soon as I changed:

Switch Switch_Dummy [ “Switchable” ]

to

Switch Switch_Dummy “Dummy Switch” [ “Switchable” ]

it worked :wink:

1 Like

Hey! Do you stilll use the same method?
And, to be sure, you mean “Google Assistant Service Bindings for Python”?

THat does not work any more. Google changed how broadcasts are done. They actually say "Broadcast from … "

Same thing when I use my integration… This is how Google Assistant works now

thanks! going to check it :wink: