Google Home - Actions (API) now available!

Ok pretty cool !!

Iam doing integration tests at the moment. Fighting little with EXECUTE.
I will contact you all to support with testing, so that we have a kind of beta phase for the official openHAB Google Assistant Integration.
Just for your info:
Googles realization of Google Home and Actions on Google is not that advanced as Amazon Alexa and has currently only limited smarthome device type support:
action.devices.types.THERMOSTAT
action.devices.types.LIGHT
action.devices.types.OUTLET
action.devices.types.SWITCH
action.devices.types.SCENE

I will write a howto, readme and document all as soon Iam trough dev and while you guys test it, since Google has no good documentation. I had to check and understand the implementation example. Alexa Skill API docu is really great compared to Google AoG API docu.

I Will contact you as soon you can test the app with real device (maybe also incrementally testing with initial version).
It will be an extra github repo, pretty similiar to openha-alexa repo. I will add the github repo link here soon, too.

BR Mehmet

7 Likes

@all,

Short update:
There is a problem on Google side, which prevents us (other devs have the same problem) to select the openHAB action in the Google Assistant / Google Home app under “Home Control” for oAuth account linking. I ve raised an official support ticket at Google and also reached out to Sachit Mishra, one of the people behind Smarthome Actions at Google.
See issue here: https://github.com/actions-on-google/actionssdk-smart-home-nodejs/issues/1

I will continue to finish our openHAB action by using mocks and other tests, but we actually cant test the “user flow and experience”. I really dont like this, but it seems there is a mysterious problem. As soon Google fixes their problem, I will give a sign and you guys can hopefully beta test it.

Sorry!
BR Mehmet

5 Likes

Since today we know, that google home will be available staring the 8th of August in germany :slight_smile:

That doesnt automatically mean Google will enable german language soon.
I am really waiting for them to fix their stuff. I got 2 Support Tickets open at the moment and they are not moving fast

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSGLEQK9F0I&feature=youtu.be

4 Likes

Hi all,
in case you wait for the Google Home openHAB Action:

Google needs to fix this issue and after 3 different gmail accounts I tested with, 2 open support tickets, they asked me to post my issue at Stackoverflow. I did so and I hope the Google Devs feel responsible and will react.

Until than, we need to be patient and cross fingers.

Sorry
but I will give my best to get it done as soon Google enables me to continue.

BR Mehmet

3 Likes

Mega cool :slight_smile:

sounds great!

1 Like

@MARZIMA
Great work mate
 we’re all so keen to try it out!!

Just to confirm, will we just need to ask
"Hey Google, turn on the kitchen light" or “Hey Google, set the temperature to 22 degrees”

And not need to “ask Openhab”
I hope :grinning:

Let’s hope they sort it out soon
 I noticed today that Homeseer is available, so it can be done !

the first one greg, like any other currently integrated smarthome system!

1 Like

My idea is that OpenHab is the master home automation system, so “turn on the light” is a command for OpenHab by default :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey, great job you are doing over there!

I am from Brazil, I have a Google home and OpenHab running on a Rasperry Pi 3.

I am developing my own devices using arduino ESP, so I am really open to test this out too!

1 Like

Bought a google home yesterday (Canada). Let me know when you get it working and I’ll happily help test.

1 Like

I’m also really eager to test for you. I’ve been watching this thread for weeks, waiting to see a resolution from Google.

I bought a google home, on the day of release here in Australia, a couple of weeks ago. Seriously impressed with the accuracy of voice recognition, and work done to understand Aussie Slang - “Strayan”

I am however, very disappointed at the lack of services that are available to us - outside of English US.

I hope that the number of services available to the German initial release is much better than for Australia, as I fear there will be many disappointed Deutsche Volk.

1 Like

I am also looking forward to buy on 07.08 a Google Home in Germany and hope that like on the Amazon Echo
an Openhab Support would come soon :slight_smile:

Carsten

My google home can be set to speak german as of today :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No news from google in order to proceed with test ?
May we (users) do something to create pressure on them ?
Thanks for the effort.

I already did on the thread here:

Nick - i assume a google employee has just closed this ticket - posting some reasons/advise to help developers.

Hopefully @MARZIMA will be able to get this going for us soon
 and even be able to buy a google home device for himself in a few days!

Thanks @greg for the patience!
It still didnt work out
but I will strictly continue.
Might have some issues, but maybe I can mock around. It is bad cause I wanna see the first detection of devices in the app
to approve it is working. I managed to wire all together and make it run. Some logic for executing is missing, but I wanted go step by step, instead of doing all at once.

Lets see how quick Google will help. It already took weeks to get any reply from the devs.

@MARZIMA Do you have the code uploaded to a git repo yet? Given the amount of interest for this new integration with google, maybe by posting the code someone else might jump in and contribute with an idea or be able to help.

Really looking forward to seeing this working. currently using the IFTTT integration which works ok, but this would be much better.