Google Home - Actions (API) now available!

@Adam_E,

I am not sure if you understood the problem. There is a repo yes, but thats not the issue.
There is a bug which prevents the test in the real life with the Google App. And so I cant see if the initial stuff is working. So it makes no sense to now let others jump in…thats better done later, when needed.
As soon as I have a state which is stabe, I will sure publish this and people can def. contribute.
But at the moment I am waiting also for Googles Feedback and meanwhile shape the current implementation.

We need to be little patient. I will keep all in the loop, dont worry.
Thanks for your interested and hope, people will help in the end with contributions.

BR Mehmet

2 Likes

@MARZIMA Thanks for the push from your side thus far with this project - I’m eagerly awaiting the end result!!

In the interim, I am busy moving over to OH2 and have the opportunity to rename things to a better standard of sorts (item names, etc.). I was wondering how the Google assistant would link into OH and whether there’s any specific naming of OH things/items that will ease the integration. Could you maybe shed some light on this? thanks

@MARZIMA
I was wondering if you already have a Google Home?
I was planning to run a raspberry PI with openHAB and Google Home at the same time.
According to this tutorial it shouldn’t be too hard to create a Google Home lookalike with just the raspberry pi, a mic and a speaker:

It would be amazing if we could turn a raspberry pi into a openHAB/Google home device to control your home

@Tertius_Hyman and all following this thread:

The Action on Google for openHAB will follow the patterns, which we introduced with the Alexa Skill.
That means you need to add the same Tags to the items in the sitemap like e.g. [“Lighting”], [“Thermostat”] etc.
My pattern and idea was to NOT introduce any new things and follow the current ways, so that you guys dont need to “learn new things”. I will put this all together into a docu (or readme) so you all should be easy to start.
Google only supports these device types for smarthome apps (actions):
action.devices.types.THERMOSTAT
action.devices.types.LIGHT
action.devices.types.OUTLET
action.devices.types.SWITCH
action.devices.types.SCENE

Google:
“Smart Home apps are structured differently than a traditional app for the Assistant. This is because how users trigger actions and the actions’ conversations are handled for you, and all you need to do is handle Smart Home intents on your service.”

I was busy testing around with Google gmail accounts, since with No account I (and alot other devs) were are able to see our openHAB test action in the Google Assistant app and see the discovered devices in the App (to see if the icons and UX is intact and the User auth., backend connections and linking really works smooth).
There is no user with more Google accounts like me, and I finally gave up and asked the Google guys to provide a working account. They have big problems to figure out whats the problem over there…

So I hope to share the current state and github repo at end of the week or weekend. Hopefully Google gives me a working account and we may speed up…and you will have the chance to quick test it, what will be really needed!

Just to give you a feeling where I am (writing Support mails and testing with gmail accounts).

I will finish some implementation stuffs until this weekend…the discovery works and the rest should work, too…

BR Mehmet

2 Likes

@cashman thx mate. But I really dont want a Google device anymore. Yeah a PI would be great.

1 Like

Hey i also like the idea of having Google Home on a raspberry.
However i wonder about 2 things:

1. Do all features of the real Google Home work or are some disabled? I think i read something about music playback is not supported??
  2. What hardware comes close to the original one? Especially what microphone is recommended? If the mic is rubbish and doesn’t record properly the best voice assistant is useless :frowning:

I’m not sure features being disabled. I’m currently on holiday so I’m unable to try it.
The magpi magazine gave away raspberry pis kits for the Google home:

So yes you need some decent mic etc. but I don’t think it is too dependent on it.

I guess a 20$ china standing mic should be more than enough.

I ordered a 10$ mic yesterday so it will take about 2 weeks for me to give it a try.

fyi

1 Like

With a recent Google Home upgrade (downgrade), Hue lights are authenticated through the cloud. The Hue Emulation add-on no longer works with Google Home. IF it was working before the upgrade, it may continue.

1 Like

Interesting, I actually just upgraded to the OH2 snapshot and got mine to work with my Google Home. Was ‘relatively’ effortless… Maybe mine is still waiting for that update…? Currently on GH versions: System: 90387, Cast: 1.25.90387

Edit: Just worth noting that the Hue Emulation only does on/off, I cannot get rightness to work and color isn’t supported.

So when you added your “Phillips Hue” to your Google Home “Home Control”, did you actually link your openHAB Hue Emulation to the My Hue website, OR did you figure out another way to do the link locally - the way it worked previous to the upgrade. My comments are based on iOS, android could be different?

Worked for me as well again.

I did everything on the Android Home app. Opened Home, went to the home control services, added Phillips Hue (it monetarily went to some hue-adapter site) and eventually it said I must press the Hue bridge’s button, this paired within seconds as the OH hue emulator auto-pairs. There was no human interaction between adding the service until the pairing screen in Home presented itself.

As far as mic, I recommend the respeaker microphone array, it even has leds that can look like the google home.

1 Like

Hey ! Just receive my google home so I was wondering if the project is getting well and if WE can help ? I’m not a dev but may be some people here can help

I hear your issu came from a google bug do we need to Harass google to fix it !? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May be we can find a way to contribute by giving you money … !!!

Is this starting to become some kind of running gag? :sweat_smile:

Finally got around to trying this again. Updated my hue emulation to the 2.2.0.xxx from snapshot. Still can’t get google home to see my emulation. (yes, I have port 80 enabled). For grins, I tried to find my hue emulation with the actual phillips app, no luck there either. This may be an ios problem? Anybody with ios been able to get hue emulation to work with google home recently?

+1
Tried with the fresh install of Openhabian 1.3 image for a pi 2.
Updated the shapshot to latest 2.2.0 version
Installed Heu Emulation and configured it to Pairing Enabled and Port 80
Installed Ngnix so openhabianpi is reachable on port 80

RESULT = Hue Emulation doesnt get found :frowning:

also tried fresh install without nginx and the

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to 8080

BUT i get an Iptables error so its not working with Openhabianpi image.:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

If I’m doing something wrong i would love some HELP.:pray:

What exact iptables error did you get? Did you run the command as root?

root@openHABianPi:/home/openhabian# sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to 8080 modprobe: ERROR: …/libkmod/libkmod.c:557 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file ‘/lib/modules/4.4.50-v7+/modules.dep.bin’
iptables v1.4.21: can’t initialize iptables table `nat’: Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.